What's new

Firmware rollback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mokume1

Occasional Visitor
I am reasonably certain that the latest 388 series firmware is causing the issues I am having with both wired/ wireless backhaul connectivity issues with my AX6600 V1 mesh nodes and wish to roll back the firmware to the previous 386 series.

As I am a newbe to this procedure can anyone explain in detail the process or provide a link (such as YouTube) as to what is involved?

Mahalo!

1. Take notes about your current configuration choices, in case you're forced into a factory reset.

2. Download the firmware version you want (probably 386.49873, the last 386-series release) from ASUS's firmware download page. You'll get a .zip file which you need to unzip, producing a ".w" file.

3. Go to the Administration/Firmware Upgrade tab in the router's GUI. Click on "Manual firmware update: Upload" and your browser should give you a file-selection dialog in which you can choose the ".w" file from step 2.

4. Wait a few minutes, maybe 5. (There might be some "are you sure" dialogs in here, don't recall.)

5. If the router doesn't come alive or seems unstable, do a factory reset and reconfigure.

BTW, I'd recommend keeping the .zip or .w file around on your computer indefinitely. You might want to go back to this version in the future, and ASUS doesn't necessarily keep the files on-line.

1. Take notes about your current configuration choices, in case you're forced into a factory reset.

2. Download the firmware version you want (probably 386.49873, the last 386-series release) from ASUS's firmware download page. You'll get a .zip file which you need to unzip, producing a ".w" file.

3. Go to the Administration/Firmware Upgrade tab in the router's GUI. Click on "Manual firmware update: Upload" and your browser should give you a file-selection dialog in which you can choose the ".w" file from step 2.

4. Wait a few minutes, maybe 5. (There might be some "are you sure" dialogs in here, don't recall.)

5. If the router doesn't come alive or seems unstable, do a factory reset and reconfigure.

BTW, I'd recommend keeping the .zip or .w file around on your computer indefinitely. You might want to go back to this version in the future, and ASUS doesn't necessarily keep the files on-line.
Mahalo for your detailed response!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming that the AX6600 will need to be connected to my laptop's ethernet port via it's WAN (blue) port at some point in the process?

BTW, I've (4) AX 6600 units acting as mesh nodes in my system with the blasted 388 series firmware, currently (2) of them are connected via wired backhaul and are OK, so far. The other 2 I've attempted to add wirelessly, with no luck...initially they will be recognized and connected, then after a few minutes the led will start to flash blue, resulting in their disconnection from the network.

Would you believe that Asus support told me that a flashing blue LED indicator indicates normal operation and that the node is receiving/transmitting data? I've an email from them stating just that...

However, I well intend to rollback all (4) AX 6600's despite (2) of them showing proper connection via ethernet.

Wish me luck!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming that the AX6600 will need to be connected to my laptop's ethernet port via it's WAN (blue) port at some point in the process?
Not necessarily. The firmware upload step can be done over wireless, if you have a working wireless connection to the unit. If things go smoothly and the unit comes back on-line normally, then you're done. If you have to do a reset, there are multiple ways to do that, but only some of them involve plugging in a cable. (BTW, I'd bet that plugging into a LAN not WAN port would be better in that scenario: the factory-reset configuration, unless ASUS are unreasonably trusting, should not let in administrator connections from the WAN port.)

There's one detail I forgot to mention: when you download from the ASUS website, they offer a checksum for the file, which you might want to verify if you're feeling paranoid. I don't recall if the checksum is for the .zip or the .w file. I don't think this actually adds much security over the checksum that's built into the .zip file, but it's there.

if you have a working wireless connection to the unit
Yes, indeed I do, both my smart phone's hotspot and recently acquired T-Mobile cellular service via their gateway, which I thought was causing wireless broadcast conflicts with my mesh system, it is not.

Because of my mesh systems dismal performance, I had to initiate contingency plans...lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!