What's new

Firmware Update Problem on RT-AC68U (Stuck at the official Asus V. 3.0.0.4.374_379)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C3LF

New Around Here
Hi and thank you for the creation of this forum! I searched answers in the forum without finding anything to help presently.

Troubleshooting mode for me.
Tried to flash the latest official Asus Firmware update and the Asuswrt-Merlin (RT-AC68U_384.14_2.trx) through Firefox browser, says complete, refresh but same old version (3.0.0.4.374_379) that since i bought it new.

Formatted a Fat32 usb stick and pasted the Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U_384.14_2.trx file.
Will try to flash directly from usb port. Checking tutorial on youtube meanwhile.
Unless i need to revert back to the first firmware version of the RT-AC68U in order to update to Merlin?

Thank you.

Hi and thank you for the creation of this forum! I searched answers in the forum without finding anything to help presently.

Troubleshooting mode for me.
Tried to flash the latest official Asus Firmware update and the Asuswrt-Merlin (RT-AC68U_384.14_2.trx) through Firefox browser, says complete, refresh but same old version (3.0.0.4.374_379) that since i bought it new.

Formatted a Fat32 usb stick and pasted the Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U_384.14_2.trx file.
Will try to flash directly from usb port. Checking tutorial on youtube meanwhile.
Unless i need to revert back to the first firmware version of the RT-AC68U in order to update to Merlin?

Thank you.

Can you take a pic of the upper right corner of your router where the model number of the router is shown?

Lost my internet for an hour trying to figure out the problem. Did a push pin reset for 10 seconds. Still cannot update driver.

Can you take a pic of the upper right corner of your router where the model number of the router is shown?
82940555-172274894050242-4767538712173084672-n.jpg

Upgrade to old Merlin 378.55 first to prep the router for the latest releases. Download that old version here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/
378.55 will do , if not you can use this one from asus:
- Increased the firmware partition size in preparation for further new features.
https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/R...US-RT-AC68U-Router-Firmware-30043763626.shtml
Oh yeah it worked! thank you. If i upgrade now the latest version i guess it will work...

@C3LF I would suggest you follow the Nuclear Reset and M&M Config guides in my signature below to fully cleanse yourself of the stoneage=ness of v378.xx! :)

Welcome to 2020 friend! :)

The important parts of the guides above: flash the same firmware you want to run today at least a second time after flashing to it once, resetting to factory defaults and then doing a quick/temporary install and then flash it again followed by a further reset and a minimum and manual configuration (don't use a saved backup config file).

I would even recommend flashing to 384.15 Beta 1 today rather than staying on the already old 384.14_2. Yes, it's that stable. :)

@C3LF I would suggest you follow the Nuclear Reset and M&M Config guides in my signature below to fully cleanse yourself of the stoneage=ness of v378.xx! :)

Welcome to 2020 friend! :)

The important parts of the guides above: flash the same firmware you want to run today at least a second time after flashing to it once, resetting to factory defaults and then doing a quick/temporary install and then flash it again followed by a further reset and a minimum and manual configuration (don't use a saved backup config file).

I would even recommend flashing to 384.15 Beta 1 today rather than staying on the already old 384.14_2. Yes, it's that stable. :)

Thx! I guess its normal in the mindset to save time and skip the reflashing of the same driver and go directly to beta without compromise in stability ? i could do it when i have noticed instabilities.

Thx! I guess its normal in the mindset to save time and skip the reflashing of the same driver and go directly to beta withoput compromise in stability ? i could do it when i have noticed instabilities.
I'll be a wet blanket and suggest you not jump to a beta after just upgrading to a current stable firmware. Just enjoy the new one.

New nickname for @dave14305! Nah, nah, na na, nah! :p:D

- Increased the firmware partition size in preparation for further new features.
https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/R...US-RT-AC68U-Router-Firmware-30043763626.shtml
I had bought my Asus RT-AC68U back in 2014 and had never upgraded its firmware. When I finally decided to upgrade it today, I kept getting stuck firmware version 3.0.0.4.374_379. Talking to Asus' tech support did not help either. They told me that my router was too old to get the update. When I googled it, I saw this thread and did exactly what you had mentioned. I downloaded the Firmware-30043763626 first. It did go thru. Then I downloaded the Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 (latest version as of 2021/02/01) manually and uploaded it. It worked just fine. I am glad that it worked for me. I cannot thank you enough.