What's new

Firmware update with Overclocked Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asad Ali

Very Senior Member
Hello guys I've Asus RT-AC68U which i recently oc'd, i just want to ask a simple question that what is the recommended practice on upgrading firmware on oc'd routers, do I need to revert it back to stock before upgrading or it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

How did you overclock it? I didn't think you could overclock the router anymore with recent firmware versions. What firmware version are you running?

Thanks for the info @Asad Ali. Looking back through the forum it looks like it's only the newer router models that it doesn't work on.

In reply to your original question; I suppose it would be safer to remove the overclocking before you update the firmware. It would only take a few minutes to edit or rename the jffs scripts and then reboot. That said, I overclock my router running John's firmware and I've never bothered removing the overclock before an upgrade.

I recall issues with the AC68U from the past - with my current setup with AC87U's I have no problems anymore. :rolleyes:

Can you please emphasize a little bit more like what kind of issues? Is there any chance of bricking the router?

Can you please emphasize a little bit more like what kind of issues? Is there any chance of bricking the router?
I have an AC 68u overclocked to 1200 and have upgraded many times on Johns firmware with no issues at all. Never have had any sort of issue after an update.