What's new

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessful" trying to upgrade RT-N12+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

irrational_analyst

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I use a router in my room to connect internet. My connection drops for a short period of time in (a few times per day). Then, I am being able to connect the router again. I've looked at the logs and researched what it tells on internet. As far as I understand, I should upgrade the firmware of my router.

Jan 23 11:48:28 kernel: AP SETKEYS DONE - WPA2, AuthMode(7)=WPA2-Personal, WepStatus(6)=AES, GroupWepStatus(6)=AES
Jan 23 11:48:30 kernel: Rcv Wcid(2) AddBAReq
Jan 23 11:48:30 kernel: Start Seq = 00000269
Jan 23 12:14:05 kernel: Rcv Wcid(1) AddBAReq
Jan 23 12:14:05 kernel: Start Seq = 00000002
Jan 23 12:14:06 kernel: Rcv Wcid(1) AddBAReq
Jan 23 12:14:06 kernel: Start Seq = 00000000
Jan 23 12:21:49 kernel: AndesSendCmdMsg: Command type = ed, Extension command type = 27
Jan 23 12:21:49 kernel: BUG: AndesSendCmdMsg is called from invalid context

This is my router model:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QB9SPU6/

I downloaded latest firmware from here:

When I try to update firmware version, I see this error message:

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

How should I upgrade my firmware?

Last edited:
What version firmware is currently running on this router?

It looks like you have the B1 version of the router. There hasn't been an update since 2020, the latest firmware is here:

Yes, the router in question is perhaps similar model with different hardware revision/version.

I would update the firmware, but also reset the router to factory defaults after the update and configure manually again.

Hi everyone,

I use a router in my room to connect internet. My connection drops for a short period of time in (a few times per day). Then, I am being able to connect the router again. I've looked at the logs and researched what it tells on internet. As far as I understand, I should upgrade the firmware of my router.

This is my router model:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QB9SPU6/

I downloaded latest firmware from here:

When I try to update firmware version, I see this error message:

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

How should I upgrade my firmware?
To get the firmware to load:

Backup settings and JFFS, admin page

Do not have any other devices attached, usb, etc…

Use the router GUI to do a Factory Reset, also check box to wipe JFFS, hit apply on the bottom of the screen to set selection if applicable

After the reboot, log in and set bare minimum then flash new firmware

Then do another Factory Reset

You can attempt a restore of settings but there is the possibility that you restore problems, sometimes it works

If not start from scratch

Last edited:
Backup settings and JFFS, admin page

This is a basic N300 router with 8MB Flash and 32MB RAM. It has no JFFS or advanced settings. It can be restored manually in 5min time. What you call "bare minimum" is all the router has available. It doesn't have anything TrendMicro, no USB ports... single 2x2 radio and 100Mbps LAN ports.

This is a basic N300 router with 8MB Flash and 32MB RAM. It has no JFFS or advanced settings. It can be restored manually in 5min time. What you call "bare minimum" is all the router has available. It doesn't have anything TrendMicro, no USB ports... single 2x2 radio and 100Mbps LAN ports.
Thanks, haven’t used anything barebones in a long while.

Believe it or not Asus still makes N-class routers and in 2020 I have purchased for a specific project 4x brand new RT-N19 routers with 4x4 Qualcomm QCN5502 SoC radios. They have better N radio than your (and mine) AX86U routers and many other Asus models we discuss in this forum.

Believe it or not Asus still makes N-class routers and in 2020 I have purchased for a specific project 4x brand new RT-N19 routers with 4x4 Qualcomm QCN5502 SoC radios. They have better N radio than your (and mine) AX86U routers and many other Asus models we discuss in this forum.
How does it compare to the RT-AC66U, radio wise?

They work as APs in a reinforced concrete and brick house in Europe and I didn't even know the model existed and 2020 production year. The owner there have tried multiple other routers and APs through the years and none worked as well as this one. It's an ugly router with 4 big external antennas, but rare find new 4x4 on 2.4GHz and Qualcomm SoC for under €50. This model is not available in North America.

It looks like you have the B1 version of the router. There hasn't been an update since 2020, the latest firmware is here:

Installing this fixed the problem, thank you very much everyone!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!