What's new

Firmware version confusion on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
My router shows that I have version Merlin 384.5 installed on my RT-AC68U yet when I check the firmware version the latest release version is 384.13 (file is RT-AC68U_384.13_0.zip) so I'm confused as to how or why I seem to have 384.5

Also, what is the signature version referring to? Is there any documentation on the firmware upgrade page on AsusWrt Merlin?

upload_2019-11-10_22-56-48.png

Firmware is not auto-updated. :)

You need to download, extract (or 'unzip') and then flash the router to the latest firmware.

With such a big jump in firmware and many new features/functions under the hood, I would also recommend doing a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration too.

For further details on doing a full M&M Config, please see the link in my signature below.

Firmware is not auto-updated. :)

You need to download, extract (or 'unzip') and then flash the router to the latest firmware.

With such a big jump in firmware and many new features/functions under the hood, I would also recommend doing a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration too.

For further details on doing a full M&M Config, please see the link in my signature below.
Thanks for the info. Yes I'm aware the Merlin firmware isn't auto-updated, but I'm confused as to how I seeem to have a version that's much later then the one currently available, as well as the purpose of the Signature Version field

Signature refers to the Trend Micro components.

There will be speculation that since your router is still on 384.5 that your AC68U isn’t authentic. Is it a real one? Or did it begin life as a mobile carrier router? If you don’t know what I’m referring to, then you’re probably legitimate.

... but I'm confused as to how I seem to have a version that's much later then the one currently available...
Perhaps you are confused with the numbering scheme? They are not decimal numbers, so 384.5 is not 384.50. It is version 384 release 5, which is older than version 384 release 13.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are confused with the numbering scheme? They are not decimal numbers, so 384.5 is not 384.50. It is version 384 release 5, which is older than version 384 release 13.
Aha! Thanks, that sounds reasonable. So that’s quite a number of versions older so I guess I’d better follow the previously referred to steps for updating the f/w.

Signature refers to the Trend Micro components.

There will be speculation that since your router is still on 384.5 that your AC68U isn’t authentic. Is it a real one? Or did it begin life as a mobile carrier router? If you don’t know what I’m referring to, then you’re probably legitimate.
I bought the router myself a number of years ago so it is genuine, but my firmware version - as kindly pointed out by ColinTaylor - isn’t 50 but version 5. As a software developer myself, I’m used to the use of leading zeroes in minor version numbers, hence my confusion :confused:

Thanks all for your help, I've updated my RT-68AC to the latest firmware with the help of the M&M Config steps linked from L&LD's sig, all seems to work fine so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!