What's new

First Asus router - No watchdog?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoSmittyCan

Occasional Visitor
I just purchased my first Asus router (RT-AX5400). Was running an old DD-WRT router for years (firmware release 2015) but needed an upgrade.

I'm surprised to see there's no "watchdog" feature similar to DD-WRT (https://torguard.net/images/watchdog.png). With this feature, you tell the router to periodically ping a list of IP addresses (e.g. every 5 minutes), and if none of them answers, the router reboots itself.

It helps guarantee that Internet access is always working, such as after recovering from a power outage. With my old setup, after the power has returned, the router would sometimes not succeed in getting a WAN IP from the modem (maybe the router booted faster than the modem?), resulting in no Internet access. The watchdog would make sure to recover with a reboot 5 minutes later. I see Asus has a "Reboot scheduler", but that serves a different purpose.

How do you guys make sure to never lose house Internet when out of home for long period of time? Do you know of another router brand / model that offers that feature?

Jo S.

I just purchased my first Asus router (RT-AX5400). Was running an old DD-WRT router for years (firmware release 2015) but needed an upgrade.

I'm surprised to see there's no "watchdog" feature similar to DD-WRT (https://torguard.net/images/watchdog.png). With this feature, you tell the router to periodically ping a list of IP addresses (e.g. every 5 minutes), and if none of them answers, the router reboots itself.

It helps guarantee that Internet access is always working, such as after recovering from a power outage. With my old setup, after the power has returned, the router would sometimes not succeed in getting a WAN IP from the modem (maybe the router booted faster than the modem?), resulting in no Internet access. The watchdog would make sure to recover with a reboot 5 minutes later. I see Asus has a "Reboot scheduler", but that serves a different purpose.

How do you guys make sure to never lose house Internet when out of home for long period of time? Do you know of another router brand / model that offers that feature?

Jo S.

If you want a totally foolproof way, hook your router, modem, and any other devices up to an old school wall timer and have it power cycle at 3am every day. That way even if your watchdog freezes or fails you still reboot.

Asus has no built in watchdog but there should be scripts out there if you want to do that.

See this: