What's new

First managed switch (ZyXEL GS1900-24E)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paradise

Occasional Visitor
I have now my first managed switch and have some questions.

1. I can set gateway and dns. What is this good for in a switch?
2. How to i know if i can do link aggregation between 2 of this switches? Later maybe one switch is not enough and i want to connect a second one with two cables (for 2Gbits throughput).
3. Is it normal you can't change the admin name? From a security standpoint a fantasy name would be better.

1. I can set gateway and dns. What is this good for in a switch?
Setting the gateway tells the switch where its' layer 3 device is, probably a router. DNS allows the device to have name resolution.

2. How to i know if i can do link aggregation between 2 of this switches? Later maybe one switch is not enough and i want to connect a second one with two cables (for 2Gbits throughput).
Most managed switch have link aggregation. I would check the specs for the switch.

3. Is it normal you can't change the admin name? From a security standpoint a fantasy name would be better.
Your switch is not exposed to the internet. Do you feel there is an inside threat to your equipment? Most homes do not have this kind of problem.

Setting the gateway tells the switch where its' layer 3 device is, probably a router. DNS allows the device to have name resolution.
Some benefits setting this for a home network?

Most managed switch have link aggregation. I would check the specs for the switch.
I know the switch has link aggregation because thats the reason i bought it. But i did read somewhere that this does not mean you can do it between two switches.

Your switch is not exposed to the internet. Do you feel there is an inside threat to your equipment? Most homes do not have this kind of problem.
Sure but i wonder there is always a user "admin"

Most layer2 switches ask for DNS and gateway information so they can look for and/or automatically download firmware updates from the web (as well as some can set the time from internet time servers if wanted). On your switch you can create new users and assign them the admin role. After creating a new admin and logging in with it can you not delete the ADMIN user? I don't have this switch so I don't know for sure. Some of these type switches though will not allow you to rename a user but will let you add and delete users.

I can not delete the user "admin" but i can set the privileges from "admin" to "user".

This is what makes me wonder if link aggregation will work:
http://serverfault.com/a/404418
Most switches do not support this cooperation.
But maybe i'm not getting it right and this LACP thing has nothing to do with the link aggregation.

Your switch supports both static and dynamic link aggregation. Because of this almost anything that supports link aggregation should work with your switch (there are always exceptions, especially if trying to do dynamic, where devices won't work together). If your talking a Zyxel to Zyxel switch using aggregation it should absolutely work (assuming both are managed switches). Anyway the link you posted above talks about aggregation across switches. This is where you get "Most switches do not support this cooperation". An example of this is where you connect your current switch to two switches stacked together on the other side of the link where you send one cable to each switch. You can't do that unless those other switches support managed stackable configurations where it acts like the switches in the stack are all one switch (like the Cisco 500 series switches). As long as your talking from one device that supports link aggregation to one other device that supports link aggregation you should be fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!