What's new

First steps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JLR

New Around Here
First I want to say that as I have been reading for hours in these forums how much I appreciate the quality of the responses. I have very little networking experience, I've helped with installation (run miles of wire) but not on the design or maintenance of a network.

So now down to business. I am in the process of getting rid of our horrid telephone company provided internet. Normal speeds of less than 1 mbps. In doing this we are going with a wireless line of sight provider which will max out at 20 mbps. (Very rural community but fiber is coming!) Currently we have been using the provided horrid little box provided by the telephone folks and one repeater. This has been enough to get wifi to about 3/4 of our building. We also are having to massively limit our users as the current equipment becomes overwhelmed very easily.

So I've already told you my experience is limited but I'm also at a point money is even more limited. I would love to hire, watch and learn... that simply is not an option this time. So I've been researching and Open Mesh has caught my attention specifically their A40 and A60 APs. I am not apposed to looking at other companies, however the videos I have watched seem fairly easy to set up and maintain and that is probably the number one reason they have my attention. There are times we have easily 25 or more people over who would like to access our wifi (3g and 4g are not always reliable here) and we believe we are likely to push toward the 50 to 75 mark in the future. Most of their use is homework research, google docs, social media or other light usage. The layout of our building is actually two buildings connected by short hallway. We also have an area outside where we occasionally use to entertain. Buildings are each approximately 100'x40' one stone the other metal and are joined by a very short hall way. Stone building minimal interior walls (very open concept), metal building two story with basketball court taking up the majority of the square footage. The outdoor area was once a parking area of approximately 200'x300' no trees or large obstacles...

Here is what I had come up with but would rather a group of folks like yourselves blast it away than for me to mess this up.
One A40 or A60 in each of the primary buildings and one OM2P-HS (chosen over the none high speed due to the PoE being compliant power) for the outside area. I was looking at tying these three via cat5 to a TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit PoE Easy Smart Managed Switch with 55W 4-PoE Ports (TL-SG108PE). Cat5 runs would each be no more than 150'

I don't really understand the 2x2 or 3x3 difference between the A40 and A60 models, is it worth the extra $ to go A60? If the A40 was a reasonable choice, I would probably just go with 3 of those and skip the om2p hs. At the same time I am not sold on this company, the videos I have watched make me believe I will be able to manage the network and have a seamless network, but what am I missing, is there a better option? I don't want to just make our wifi free for everyone, but setting up both a Private and Guest with password options. From what I understand this is done fairly easily with the cloud interface and even allocating the amount of bandwidth each side would be allowed to use? However I have read many who have posted against cloud interfaces but I have not found one who explains why. We really do have fiber coming maybe being completed as soon as this spring and though we will only have 20mbps now, I'm confident we will have far greater speeds soon, so am I limiting my future in anyway with this equipment. And one more question... what am I missing?

Thank you...

WiFi is only part of the equation here. I do not see any mention of what you intend to use as a router/firewall?

2x2 vs 3x3 - this comes down to what level of WiFi performance do you expect along with what will your clients support? A large percentage of clients are either 1x1 or 2x2, so unless you know for sure you need to support 3x3 clients, save your money for additional APs.

There are lots of solutions out there that will fit the needs you have defined. Some cost less...some cost more. The declared lack of IT skills does for sure limit the options down a bit and it looks like the currently identified offering may help. I do not know why you would pick an OM2P over the A40 if you don't have a physical size restriction on where it is being mounted. From their site, all of the APs support passive PoE or 802.3af.

MichaelCG thank you for the response.

As for the router, it is being supplied by the internet company, I will see it Wednesday.

Went and did some reading on the 2x2 and 3x3, I guess the thing I'm left to wonder is how long until 3x3 becomes the norm? I now know the Macbook pro is 3x3, anything else? I doubt we will see many Macbook Pros here for a good while, mostly tablets, phones and a few laptops for our guests and right now all our computers are pc's that I have built except one pc laptop...

The OM2P hs is compliant to the 802.3af the OM2P is passive only, meaning purchase of a separate PoE injector. Why the OM2P hs simply price as I am just desperately having to watch he $, but if I can go with A40's then it would not be an issue to go with three of them.

Is this switch adequate? TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit PoE Easy Smart Managed Switch with 55W 4-PoE Ports (TL-SG108PE)

It is unlikely three stream clients will ever become the norm due to space, cost, power and thermal considerations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!