What's new

First tests of rt-ac86u on 384.7 alpha1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldgringo

Regular Contributor
After installing of a new version of firmware (I know it is early alpha version - only for the info) I found out a few issues here. Two main for me are:

1. In the Network map screen (initial) I still can see Disconnected status of the network even if the connection is fully working and DDNS has registered correct ip address. I don't see any info neither in the system log nor in dmesg output.

2. I tried to add a new language to the router (like I did in 384.6) but the new language isn't visible in the list of available languages. I cannot see even some languages from ASUS GPL (FI, SV, NL, SL). Is it the result of some pre-compiled binaries? I found also some auto_set_lang variable but I cannot see the use for it in the code so I guess it might be in some pre-compiled binary (but probably not used). The language is still changing back to EN even if I change it directly through nvram (it is reverting back to EN just in a second). Again - I don't see any info neither in the system log nor in dmesg output. It looks like there may be some typo in *.js file which breaks loading of the language table (maybe my own typo :p). I have to debug more.

Last edited:
In the Network map screen (initial) I still can see Disconnected status of the network even if the connection is fully working and DDNS has registered correct ip address. I don't see any info neither in the system log nor in dmesg output.

Re-enable the DNS-based WAN monitoring under Tools -> Other Settings if you had it disabled.

I cannot see even some languages from ASUS GPL (FI, SV, NL, SL). Is it the result of some pre-compiled binaries?

Yes, most of the language management code has been moved into closed source components now.

wILL 384.7 ALPHA be released for the AC 3200 or has the 3200 been dropped ?

wILL 384.7 ALPHA be released for the AC 3200 or has the 3200 been dropped ?

No GPL yet, and the old GPL code is not compatible.

Hey @RMerlin sir: when will the AC3100 be part of the alpha test for 384.7? I'm an anxious kind of guy! :eek:

When I compile it. Those first alpha builds were meant to see which models cleanly build and which didn't. I hadn't included the AC3100 simply because I knew the result would be the same as the AC88U, so it cut down 20 minutes of build time.

The latest test build I did earlier today should include it.

Can anyone in a region supporting DFS channel tell me how the Wireless Log page looks like for you?

Can anyone in a region supporting DFS channel tell me how the Wireless Log page looks like for you?

AC86u
HyfbjBk.png

Hyf9CpJ.png

Last edited:
@RMerlin I didn't realize the 87U is still on the 382 codebase. The fact that it works on 384.5 means the 384 code is backwards compatible for now?

It seems Asus dropped support for this model except bugfixes. I see they released 3.0.0.4.382.50702 which fixed a lot of stuff included in 384.6... Is there no way to get those fixes in your firmware until they release source code?

Should I just buy an 86U instead?

@RMerlin I didn't realize the 87U is still on the 382 codebase. The fact that it works on 384.5 means the 384 code is backwards compatible for now?

It seems Asus dropped support for this model except bugfixes. I see they released 3.0.0.4.382.50702 which fixed a lot of stuff included in 384.6... Is there no way to get those fixes in your firmware until they release source code?

Should I just buy an 86U instead?

No source code = no way for me to compile for a specific model, it's as simple as that. Too much code is now closed source.

Anyone else having trouble seeing the screen captures posted by @.TT.?

All I see under FF/Chrome is
Code:
[IMG]

and it's not a link.

That's because those are URLs to a webpage, not to an image, so they don't work within IMG tags. If you copy and paste them in a new tab, they will show correctly.