What's new

fixed: no wifi indication on my iphone se

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

128bit

Regular Contributor
just an fyi for anyone that may experience this scenario. i have an iphone se and i use my 86u 2.4g radio for data when at home. after upgrading from 45717 to the latest 86u fw version this weekend, i noticed that the wireless icon on the iphone was missing. as a result, verizon was picking up the slack for my data usage.

i checked my iphone settings and it showed connected! this seemed very odd. i checked some old 86u settings and found that i had disabled "roaming assistant" on the "wireless - professional" page; most likely from reading a suggestion on this board. when using 45717, it was not a problem but now, i was stuck. i'd see "lte" then the wireless icon would appear for about .5 second before seeing "lte" again. i'm thinking that it's connecting but for whatever reason, that connection was being dropped.

the fix was to re-enable "roaming assistant" and set the rssi to a very low -70 dbm value cause -55 dbm failed as well.

other than that this latest fw has been stable with all the other devices in the house.

I had the exact issue that you are describing on my iPhone 11 Pro. It would connect to the wi-fi on the AP but would not access the internet. In my case I had to use a VPN app on my iPhone to Identify the wi-fi as a TRUSTED source. After doing so, the iPhone was able to get out to the internet. (I never use roaming assistant).

FYI

I had the exact issue that you are describing on my iPhone 11 Pro. It would connect to the wi-fi on the AP but would not access the internet. In my case I had to use a VPN app on my iPhone to Identify the wi-fi as a TRUSTED source. After doing so, the iPhone was able to get out to the internet. (I never use roaming assistant).

FYI
fascinating! i do have expressvpn on the iphone but i'm fairly certain it was not a factor since i disabled it in an attempt to simplify and do problem determination. course once connected i've begun using it again. still very good info.

thanks

In general, I find that phones are kind of wonky when it comes to switching back and forth between WiFi and carrier signal for internet access. I haven't had an iPhone since the 6S and use a galaxy S8+ now. I know there are "preference settings" to help "steer the connection" but even at that I find myself having to reset the network interface and/or reboot the phone when in transition areas between the two network choices.

What you're seeing could all be coincidence with other mitigating factors such as channel selection and interference from neighbors and/or carrier signal issues.

In general, I find that phones are kind of wonky when it comes to switching back and forth between WiFi and carrier signal for internet access. I haven't had an iPhone since the 6S and use a galaxy S8+ now. I know there are "preference settings" to help "steer the connection" but even at that I find myself having to reset the network interface and/or reboot the phone when in transition areas between the two network choices.

What you're seeing could all be coincidence with other mitigating factors such as channel selection and interference from neighbors and/or carrier signal issues.
i hear u, k. and appreciate you chiming in. really tough to nail down but you know that already. i already reset the network on the phone and while neighbors could be the issue, it's unlikely since we're on 1 - 2 acre lots.

keep this in mind though, with the 45717 release i do not believe the problem existed. now it's been awhile. i'm installing win 10 again cause samsung's migration sw as well as aomi and m** seem to ignore my additional space. so lots have bee forgotten. still, with roaming enabled, i see no degradation and all's well.

this is a great board and i believe we have a pretty good product with the 86u. so damn good, i hardly read this thing anymore. my life's back!! i'm changing the subject some but, i don't see myself buying another router for the foreseeable future. my fastest device is only "ac" and frankly, i'm not sure i'll see much improvement if it were faster! life's good here.

:)

I'm on 2.5 acres in a "acreage subdivision" as well and have pretty free access to the entire 2.4 and 5 GHz spectrum for WiFi.

As I said, my old iPhones had issues and my S8+ has issues when it comes to deciding on where to connect for internet requests, especially when I have WiFi calling enabled.

I'm not saying the firmware didn't have an effect but if all your other devices are happy I'd look elsewhere. Have you done the "standard recommended settings" found throughout these threads as it relates to beam forming, ..........?

It may also be time to factory reset your router and reconfigure.

I don't have this specific router. I'm running AC3100's and AC68's, AP mode for all but the main, each on manually assigned non-interfering frequencies. NO AIMESH and I try to avoid DFS frequencies since I have very little spectrum conflict.

GOOD LUCK

i hear u, k. and appreciate you chiming in. really tough to nail down but you know that already. i already reset the network on the phone and while neighbors could be the issue, it's unlikely since we're on 1 - 2 acre lots.

keep this in mind though, with the 45717 release i do not believe the problem existed. now it's been awhile. i'm installing win 10 again cause samsung's migration sw as well as aomi and m** seem to ignore my additional space. so lots have bee forgotten. still, with roaming enabled, i see no degradation and all's well.

this is a great board and i believe we have a pretty good product with the 86u. so damn good, i hardly read this thing anymore. my life's back!! i'm changing the subject some but, i don't see myself buying another router for the foreseeable future. my fastest device is only "ac" and frankly, i'm not sure i'll see much improvement if it were faster! life's good here.

:)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!