What's new

Flaky AC5300 Wi-Fi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

Not in reference to the 86u but this is for the AC5300. I made my friend purchase the AC5300 and in about 2 weeks his 2.4 g stopped working and the 5g constantly disconnected. Nothing helped, factory reset, reflash, recovery, nothing. They warrantied it out and the second unit stopped working with the 2.4 GHz in two weeks again. The 5 GHz works just fine. I wonder why are there so many failure rates with these routers.

My AC5300, on the other hand, is rock solid. 2.4, 5 GHz all of it.

Hi guys,
I have recently bought the GT-AC5300 with a bargain and replaced RT-AC5300. I thought that more memory and CPU power cannot be bad for Smarthome legacy devices, which depend strongly on stability and performance of WLAN 2,4 GHz.
I have found out certain unpleasant differences, which I can't understand and solve so far:
1) 2,4GHz Wifi is unstable and its signal fluctuating from max to 1/3 strength in about 7-8 m through 1 brick wall. RT-AC5300 did not have this issue. 5GHz networks work fine.
2) TX power adjustment in the "professional" tab of wifi setting is not present and I even cannot check the power settings.
3) I set up everyday self-reboot, but I am not sure how it does reboot or whether it does at all?

FW is the latest and I set it up into AiMesh with AC68U after the reset to factory settings.
What would be a solution in your view:
1) Dig in the settings of WLAN, but it wont get the TX Power adjustment back anyway. Which settings to look at in particular?
2) Complain to Asus with sending the logs and try to solve as a warranty case.
3) sell the GT-AC5300 and get back to RT-AC5300, which worked stable for appr. 2 years.
4) Something else?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Probably 3)

On my 86U there is no Txpower too and I see same fluctuating signal from -30dB downto -50dB.
My old 68U all the time has -27dB located just beside it during my tests.

I think they changed power setting to auto-power, so if no need going down to -20 from max-value, if a device needs more it will come up with power.
After connecting with my PC over its 2,4G it went up to between max and -10dB not stable.
And other networks will have influence too I think, if others on this channel maybe it will power down to avoid conflicting with them.

Probably 3)

I think they changed power setting to auto-power, so if no need going down to -20 from max-value, if a device needs more it will come up with power.
I thought may be I got the US version with restricted TX power, but may be there is a chance to get it to EU version? Download certain Beta FW and down-grade?

EU-power is much less than US in 2.4G, forget it, at least on my new 86U about -5dB, only much more channels in 5G with EU.
Only my region free 68U got stronger singnals for all channels.

Here to compare 86U set to EU and old 68U.
Not shown here when 86U set to US almost equal with minimal differences but still huge difference while connected or not.

Signal.jpg

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!