What's new

Flashing firmware updates but stays at 384.5_beta1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

burntoc

Occasional Visitor
As the title says, some time ago I flashed 384.5_beta1. I'd been running other updates before with no issues, and this one has been running okay overall with a few minor hiccups. I've tried updating to newer betas though, back to official to then try a newer beta, etc, and no matter what I do after what otherwise appears to be a perfectly successful flash (via the web gui), it reboots and I'm back to a screen showing that same release.

I've used the button to reset, done factory initialize in the gui, etc. and I still can't get it to take a newer firmware. Can someone help?

Thanks!

What router do you try to update?

Ah, sorry about that. It is a AC-68U. I've used Merlin a long time on several of these, and many other routers. First time I've seen this. Unfortunately I'm down to just this one so I can't test on others to figure out if they'd act the same.

Is it a converted TM-AC9100? If so, ASUS is putting locks in the firmware to prevent exactly what you're trying to do. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

It is, yes. I recall that being a discussion, but it's been some time and I believed I was using the appropriate firmware and bypasses to have gotten this far. Is there any way forward - or back without having to TFTP or use a serial cable to get the device out of this current state?

UPDATE - NVM, I see reading the link you supplied that I'm stuck where I am. Guess I'll try to reflash stock at some point and then do something else. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Assuming its a real AC68, not a TM-Mobile converted :oops:, you should try removing all USB devices hooked on the router, reboot, and reflash. You probably need also to Factory reset the unit if something act weird after, you are coming from many versions behind.