1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Flashing firmware updates but stays at 384.5_beta1

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by burntoc, Feb 11, 2019.

1. burntoc

burntoc Occasional Visitor

As the title says, some time ago I flashed 384.5_beta1. I'd been running other updates before with no issues, and this one has been running okay overall with a few minor hiccups. I've tried updating to newer betas though, back to official to then try a newer beta, etc, and no matter what I do after what otherwise appears to be a perfectly successful flash (via the web gui), it reboots and I'm back to a screen showing that same release.

I've used the button to reset, done factory initialize in the gui, etc. and I still can't get it to take a newer firmware. Can someone help?

Thanks!

2. octopus

octopus Very Senior Member

What router do you try to update?

3. burntoc

Ah, sorry about that. It is a AC-68U. I've used Merlin a long time on several of these, and many other routers. First time I've seen this. Unfortunately I'm down to just this one so I can't test on others to figure out if they'd act the same.

4. cmkelley

cmkelley Very Senior Member

Greater Los Angeles Area, California, USizicstania
    Is it a converted TM-AC9100? If so, ASUS is putting locks in the firmware to prevent exactly what you're trying to do. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

5. burntoc

It is, yes. I recall that being a discussion, but it's been some time and I believed I was using the appropriate firmware and bypasses to have gotten this far. Is there any way forward - or back without having to TFTP or use a serial cable to get the device out of this current state?

UPDATE - NVM, I see reading the link you supplied that I'm stuck where I am. Guess I'll try to reflash stock at some point and then do something else. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Senior Member

Assuming its a real AC68, not a TM-Mobile converted :oops:, you should try removing all USB devices hooked on the router, reboot, and reflash. You probably need also to Factory reset the unit if something act weird after, you are coming from many versions behind.

Vexira likes this.