What's new

Flashing stock firmware back

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermaltake

Regular Contributor
Can someone tell me what is the procedure of flashing back stock firmware to my RT-AC88U from merlin firmware. Do I just flash and thats it ?

Can someone tell me what is the procedure of flashing back stock firmware from merlin firmware, do I just flash and thats it ?

You should read the manual:

OE

Download the official asus firmware
Then perform a hard reset by turning the router of and then on while pressing the wps button 10 secs. Then you let it bootup fully.
When it shows the wizard turn off the router.
And then turn it back on while pushing the reset button until the led starts flashing and you know the recovery mode is active.
When that’s active visit 192.168.1.1 and upload the firmware via asus mini cfe recovery. And then wait until it boots up.

This is the shortest way, works both ways Asus<->Merlin:

- reboot the router to free the memory
- umnount USB drives after it boots up (if any)
- flash the new firmware on top
- let the router boot, don't log-in, watch the LEDs
- power it off, hold the WPS and power it back on
- let the router boot, set it up manually

I always flash those on Wireless. Like many Asus customers do. Just press the button. No chance I'm going to the router with my laptop for no reason. If the router wants to come to me, let it come. If something goes wrong, just repeat. Like going from 81930 to 81992 on RT-AC86U. JFFS partition went South after this update. WPS and Power button reset and back in business. If something goes terribly wrong, @laracroftonline procedure applies. Never had to do it though. Only when jumping between Asuswrt, Tomato, DD-WRT on supported routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!