What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.3.2 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just throwing this out there for anyone finding it useful - if you have a bunch of devices that are dedicated to a purpose, with a bit of planning you can shape them all with one rule.

If you go look up a subnet calculator, you can target a specific range of IPs with a /## on the end. Ex: 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 is 192.168.1.1/24; if you want to target 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.127, that's /25. If you want 192.168.1.96 - 192.168.1.127, that's 192.168.1.96/27; you can then dump devices of similar purposes (like VOIP phones) into a range and shape it with that single rule. I clustered together a lot of device IPs that don't need internet access (like printers, etc.) and firewalled them all in the same manner.

Have you installed/used CAKE recently? Try posting your results:

Code:
flexqos debug
CAKE doesn't support the bandwidth that I have (1Gbps)

@dave14305

Here is a PS5 Game Download as seen on the Bandwidth Monitor Tab
bandwidth.PNG

Here is the same PS5 Game Download not being shown at all on the FlexQos Tab
flexqos.PNG

Here is the same PS5 Game Download not being shown at all on the FlexQos Tab
That’s a common short-coming of the AX86U with flow cache enabled.

With that being said, is the traffic actually still being managed/queued by FlexQos, but not being represented?
I don’t really know since I don’t have that model of router. I would assume not, since the traffic doesn’t show up in the tc class stats that feed the chart data.

If you remove the iptables rule for Game Downloads, it might show up again in the graphs as Gaming.

I don’t really know since I don’t have that model of router. I would assume not, since the traffic doesn’t show up in the tc class stats that feed the chart data.

If you remove the iptables rule for Game Downloads, it might show up again in the graphs as Gaming.
I'll give that a try.

Thanks for your work :)

FYI. Removing the Game Downloads rule allows the traffic to show up as expected at full bandwidth of 200000+ kbps under the Gaming class. Adding the rule back causes the traffic to be classified under File Transfers as expected, but at a very low bandwidth such as 30 kbps instead of 200000+ kbps. I do notice this behavior, not just for gaming, but for other traffic on the network as well.

Hi Dave,

The FlexQoS is amazing tool for me. At home, my ADSL speed is 10/1M and you can't believe how amazingly well, FlexQoS achieves to prioritize streaming services over Other & Downloads classes. It even identifies as download class any icloud connection (for example when uploading or downloading to view photos). No matter what, I always have available bw to use, and FlexQoS, if needed, it aggressively lowers bandwidth usage of Download classes to leave space for the higher classes.

In my case (10M/1M) with such low uploading speed (1M) , backing up photos to the cloud (which takes ages) is enough to saturate the line and no other service can have the available bw to make outgoing requests, hence download speeds are hurt, when anyone is uploading.

With your help, I achieved to have my wife's pc (who works as a call center agent) to properly use the ADSL without any issues (I have her PC a custom mark to net packets) and no complaints whatsoever even if I use the rest BW for torrents.

One very simple question for me. In the FlexQoS screen, where I can filter connections, is it possible to put a range of IPs? For example 192.168.0.1$-192.168.0.10$

Many thanks!
@dave14305 that is indeed a positive and reliable testimonial and shows how work like what you have been doing on this thread gives rise to meaningful improvements for the benefit of many. Nice work!

Just throwing this out there for anyone finding it useful - if you have a bunch of devices that are dedicated to a purpose, with a bit of planning you can shape them all with one rule.

If you go look up a subnet calculator, you can target a specific range of IPs with a /## on the end. Ex: 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 is 192.168.1.1/24; if you want to target 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.127, that's /25. If you want 192.168.1.96 - 192.168.1.127, that's 192.168.1.96/27; you can then dump devices of similar purposes (like VOIP phones) into a range and shape it with that single rule. I clustered together a lot of device IPs that don't need internet access (like printers, etc.) and firewalled them all in the same manner.
@BikeHelmet can you provide an example of your setup? For example, what devices did you put under with the printer and under what category did you put it under? Also, say I want to put all nest devices under 1 cateogty and also cell phones under another category, which would be the best category? Thanks for any information!!!

Long time user on my RT-AC86U. Wifi is off and have an Omada setup with an oc200 and 4 APs. I am upgrading from 400 to gigabit service with spectrum tomorrow. Wondering how my router will hold up along with any tweaks needed for my FlexQoS. Off the top of my head, I'll need to adjust the download and upload maxs. I definitely wish ASUS would make a standalone non wifi router that played well with Merlin. This forum is where the Asus router product owner(s) should be spending their time. Anyway, what's everyone's thoughts? Shall I upgrade anything? I also have a managed omada switch, and it would be cool to see their router in my app. It just doesn't seem they can hang. I love my Merlin/flexqos combo along with full cone NAT that allows multiple gaming PCs to work well.

@dave14305 I'm not sure if know the answer to this question for WAN packet overhead setup, but I was reading thru openwrt page and if you have cable (ethernet), they recommend setting the WAN packet overhead to 22. However, when using Asus QoS and choosing cable, it automatically sets it to 18. I understand these are 2 differnet interfaces and I don't think this matters at all but I'm just curious as to why the difference? Any info is greatly appreciated!

@dave14305 I'm not sure if know the answer to this question for WAN packet overhead setup, but I was reading thru openwrt page and if you have cable (ethernet), they recommend setting the WAN packet overhead to 22. However, when using Asus QoS and choosing cable, it automatically sets it to 18. I understand these are 2 differnet interfaces and I don't think this matters at all but I'm just curious as to why the difference? Any info is greatly appreciated!
There’s no right answer to the overhead questions. When in doubt, choose higher values. I think the answers could also differ if you’re discussing CAKE versus HTB. I’ve always just mimicked Merlin’s settings since they come from nvram.

@BikeHelmet can you provide an example of your setup? For example, what devices did you put under with the printer and under what category did you put it under? Also, say I want to put all nest devices under 1 cateogty and also cell phones under another category, which would be the best category? Thanks for any information!!!
I didn't bother to shape them. I have a 16 address range and an 8 address range that get firewalled. I put things like IOT devices, printers, etc. into there. Why printers? I don't want them downloading firmware updates and becoming incompatible with cheap toner/ink. (That's what the updates generally do - ruin print quality for non-OEM supplies.)

If you wanted to shape phones, you could certainly do a rule that targets 192.168.1.64/28 (192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.79) and assign smartphones into that range with static DHCP - however, like computers, smartphones perform a lot of tasks. You may be better served allowing the FlexQOS individual protocol detection to deal with the varied workloads that the phones perform for their users. This isn't a Roku (Streaming only - and I suppose software updates, which are fine to go into Streaming too.) Single purpose devices are easier to shape with subnet rules like the above. That's why it can work great for VOIP phones. They're just phones.

The starting point to determine your ideal bandwidth settings is usually 90% of your actual bandwidth. Then keep testing higher or lower until you get your desired bufferbloat results.
wait so thats how you can get your bufferbloat fixed? by playing with the % for download and upload? i want my gaming device (PC) to have a grade A+ when i run the wave or dslr repost i can do that when i connect to the modem my speeds are 1000 down 40 up in the bandwidth monitor i have my gaming pc set to highest and under QOS i have games set

Yes, that is exactly how it's done. Test where you're limiting the throughput, via the router, and not your ISP's traffic shaping plan.

Yes, that is exactly how it's done. Test where you're limiting the throughput, via the router, and not your ISP's traffic shaping plan.
right now i setup my download at 850 and upload at 34 and still get grade A, i would continue to lower the % tell i get the grade A+?

Yes. Here is a much more extreme example below.

Wi-Fi Setup 25/2.5 d/u Report

The goals/benefits of a higher throughput ISP aren't to (just) get those high speeds for mere bragging rights, it is to get the best network experience possible today, when your ISP's limitations and capabilities along with your devices and network usage is considered, in total.

I am fortunate that my ISP (1Gbps up/down symmetrical Fibre) gives me even more than what I pay for, consistently and reliably. However, when that is not the case, use the tools we have, to make it the same (at the sacrifice of mere bragging rights speeds we want to show our friends we have).

A well-tuned network is a network that works as well as possible, in the real world. With low latency, reliability, and dependability being much more important than mere top speeds at select locations at specific times with certain devices. Balance, is the goal, for all the devices and users within.

Yes. Here is a much more extreme example below.

Wi-Fi Setup 25/2.5 d/u Report

The goals/benefits of a higher throughput ISP aren't to (just) get those high speeds for mere bragging rights, it is to get the best network experience possible today, when your ISP's limitations and capabilities along with your devices and network usage is considered, in total.

I am fortunate that my ISP (1Gbps up/down symmetrical Fibre) gives me even more than what I pay for, consistently and reliably. However, when that is not the case, use the tools we have, to make it the same (at the sacrifice of mere bragging rights speeds we want to show our friends we have).

A well-tuned network is a network that works as well as possible, in the real world. With low latency, reliability, and dependability being much more important than mere top speeds at select locations at specific times with certain devices. Balance, is the goal, for all the devices and users within.
i know with a netduma router i can set my gaming pc as to have the top rule for packets and i would mess with the upload and download but i was wondering if the flexqos under gaming is set to have top prioritized

so i connected a USB 2.5gig to the router and set it as wan and the 2.5gig lan is connected to my pc qos flex isnt working when i set the bandwidth lower then what i get to fix buffer bloat and to a test wave site my download and up are still the same as what my isp is offering. is there something im doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!