What's new

FlexRaid on a DIY NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdeej777

New Around Here
I've been a long time lurker and finally I'm planning to build my own NAS.
Built in consumer NAS are expensive and I have the impression that data recovery is better with a DIY NAS depending on the software used. I also don't plan on running it 24/7, more of like nights and weekends when I'm home. Need any input as to how to improve, or suggest the better NAS software. I'm leaning towards FlexRaid so it can run on top of my Win7 pro 64 and use the pc for other purposes or if anybody already has experience w FlexRaid. I considered WHS, DriveBender, etc even UnRaid but that will make the system dedicated as NAS.

Purpose is to build NAS, file storage, media server and as a secondary pc. I can't make it as htpc as I need to wire this for NAS purposes. I plan on streaming via Plex to my old 2ghz mac mini that will be connected to my tv.

I have the following parts:
mobo - AsRock H77M
CPU - i3 3225 (I went w the latest i3 since Microcenter has $40 off any mobo promo if I get this cpu)
HDD 2 x 3TB WD Reds, 1TB WD, 500GB Seagate
RAM - 2 x 4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
PSU - Corsair CX430
case - Cooler Master Elite 120

Total of this build (new parts) is around 550 usd.
I have the 1TB and 500GB old hdds lying around and I plan on using the 500gb for OS, 1 3TB for parity, 1 3TB and 1TB as data drives.

I'm still thinking if I should plug in my old 650Ti to make this rig a light gaming pc as well at least for Starcraft2. My old rig is only an Inspiron 530 quad Q6600. I think even this i3 will outperform that as well as more power efficient.

thx for any input.

Last edited: