What's new

Flow Control on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asus_user_1990

New Around Here
Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong sub forum.
I have no idea where this should go.
I couldn't find any relevant threads on this question and so had to register to ask this.

A bit of context...
I am fiddling around with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and it supports 1 Gig Eth.
Unfortunately, due to a shared bus with USB, the interface is capped at 300 Mbps.
The only way this can be achieved is when both the source and destination LAN interface has flow control enabled. (cited for your reference: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/...e8cca5d828a5da1c42a5b0c757&start=175#p1359083)
Without Flow Control, I am capped at less than 100 Mbps, which is really sub-optimal.

I am currently using stock firmware for my AC-86U. I know it doesn't have an option for Flow Control.

Does Merlin firmware have an option for forcing Flow Control on specific LAN ports?

Thank you

Last edited:
umm so no one can help to clarify?

If someone can't help you with flow control directly on your router you could install a small semi managed switch between your router and the rasberry Pi. The TL SG108E offers the option of flow control by port. I have never used it so I don't know if it would work for your purposes.

Attachments

• Flow_Control_.png
    Flow_Control_.png
    112 KB · Views: 594
If someone can't help you with flow control directly on your router you could install a small semi managed switch between your router and the rasberry Pi. The TL SG108E offers the option of flow control by port. I have never used it so I don't know if it would work for your purposes.

I am currently using a TL SG105E as an intermediate solution but it clearly shows the router not negotiating flow control. My Pi did manage to negotiate flow control with the switch.
So while this works in the short term, I was hoping there is a longer term solution where the router can enable flow control.
I am still not reaching my maximum achievable throughput (only slightly over 100 Mbps down and 200 Mbps up) even though there was some improvements.

I have a 1 Gbps connection so I am under the impression that the router flow control is still somehow affecting my Pi's throughput

This sounds like something you're going to have to experiment with yourself. I thought even stock Asus firmware had the ethtool utility, is this not the case? If it doesn't you'll have to install Merlin's firmware that I know does have it and see what you can do with it.

This sounds like something you're going to have to experiment with yourself. I thought even stock Asus firmware had the ethtool utility, is this not the case? If it doesn't you'll have to install Merlin's firmware that I know does have it and see what you can do with it.

i never tried ssh into stock firmware...perhaps i'll look into that.
yea i figured it is something im going to have to experiment myself, going by the responses i've gotten so far.
thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!