What's new

For Sale: Palo Alto Networks PA2050 $100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mokers

Regular Contributor
I recently bought a PA2050 on ebay. I bought the device because I had an upgrade to ATT gigabit and needed a UTM that could handle the throughput. Since my home also functions as a lab for my work, I wanted to try Palo Alto. The device came and is good working order, but a) doesn't fit into my wall-mounted network cabinet and b) is really loud with 3 fans!

Only caveat to the system is that it has an older version of the OS (4.1 current version 7). However, it runs and routes normally. I paid $100 for it, so that is what I am offering it for, but no charge for (ground) shipping in the US. However, feel free to PM me and make an offer.

Do you need to have any ongoing license agreements for the device to do NAT, IPsec tunnels, and Multi-WAN? Are there any ongoing licensing requirements?

Actually, I think you can do all of that without adding a subscription. The device boots and I used it for my gateway for a while until I got the replacement. I was able to do my VLANS, some simple routing. I didn't setup the VPN client, use multiple WANS or ry an IPSec tunnel. It just doesn't have an active subscription, which you would need to upgrade the OS. PanOS 4.1 was EOL in 2015. I figured it would have at least 6.1 but they either didn't do an upgrade ever on the device or didn't put the latest OS on it when they wiped it before sale. My fault for not paying attention on ebay or asking what the license version was before buying. If it was running 6.1 or 7.1, I would still be using it.

I did a bit of research on how to get an active license on it, but PA has a pretty tight channel when it comes to activating equipment. I am more familiar with SonicWALL, Juniper and Cisco and they are all much easier to license after buying used. If you want to test it out @Samir I will send it to you for the cost of shipping, which is about $30 ground US.

I ended up with a SonicWALL NSA 4500, which works great, but is EOL next month, so I'll be looking to build a pfsense appliance in the next few months.

@sfx2000 That is exactly what I experienced. In the datacenter with all the fans going and/or my earplugs in, I guess I never noticed how loud those fans are.

Ah, this is a bit more doable. Watchguard does the same thing when their license expires--the device works the way it was last set up and you can't use any features that requires a license--but otherwise it's 100% functional.

We're supposed to have AT&T fibre available by summer, and while our FVS318N has been great for overall routing and IPsec tunnels, I know it can't do 1g, so I was starting to look around. As you purchased the PA for the same reason, it may be a good fit for me since I don't need any UTM features running.

Very generous for you to send it out for testing, and once we have the AT&T service (if we get it), I will definitely be in touch. I have a UPS account so I can even a prepaid shipping label for you (both ways in case I can't use it). This will be my first PA, so I'll have to do some reading on PanOS 4.1 and make sure it can do what I need it to do sans-license.