What's new

For same listed speed what is better AX1800 or AC1800 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerq

Occasional Visitor
I was looking at Amazon for a router for a friend and I see several routers that are AC1800 and several that are listed as AX1800. I see that AX is generally better, but I am unable to find what will be the difference between speed / performance when the listed speeds are the same.

I did see a 2 year old thread on Reddit that mention that for same speeds a AC client will get worst speeds on a AX router.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Buying an AC router today if an AX class router is possible isn't a good, long-term solution.

There are no issues an AX class router will have with AC class client devices that can't be solved (or aren't, already solved).

Your post states AC1800 twice, BTW. I had to double-check your thread title to clarify.

And router recommendations are very specific, per model/SKU. 'AX1800' class routers can range from good to avoid at all costs, depending on the brand, model, region, etc. The list in the link above will give a world-class performance at the price point the routers can currently be found at (and be sure to consider waiting for a sale, some can go to less than half price (RT-AX68U, for example) for a few days each month).

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Buying an AC router today if an AX class router is possible isn't a good, long-term solution.

There are no issues an AX class router will have with AC class client devices that can't be solved (or aren't, already solved).

Your post states AC1800 twice, BTW. I had to double-check your thread title to clarify.

And router recommendations are very specific, per model/SKU. 'AX1800' class routers can range from good to avoid at all costs, depending on the brand, model, region, etc. The list in the link above will give a world-class performance at the price point the routers can currently be found at (and be sure to consider waiting for a sale, some can go to less than half price (RT-AX68U, for example) for a few days each month).

Thanks, fixed the post.

I agree that Asus Routers are best (a lot of credit to Merlin). I have been running Merlin on my AC68U and now AC86U ...

I will look and wiat for a deal on the AX68U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!