What's new

For the owners of the R7000...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tarassippo

Regular Contributor
... I am sure you all (like me) are still appreciating this great router...

I would like to ask NETGEAR Guy if he could give Voxel an R7000 and hopefully we could also enjoy his fantastic firmware !

Happy New Year !

Before asking Netgear to send him one, ask him if he does want to work on it. The R7000 platform is completely different from the R7800 (Broadcom vs Qualcomm), the firmware code is also completely different. That means double the work required to add this older model.

Voxel did reply months ago in another post that he didn't develop a custom firmware for the R7000 because he didn't own that, but it was a while ago and indeed he might not be willing to double his work (anymore)... Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

If he's open to working on a R7000, maybe you could send him one to use for development.

Voxel did reply months ago in another post that he didn't develop a custom firmware for the R7000 because he didn't own that, but it was a while ago and indeed he might not be willing to double his work (anymore)... Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

I would like to ask NETGEAR Guy if he could give Voxel an R7000 and hopefully we could also enjoy his fantastic firmware !

You know, main obstacle with R7000 (or other routers) is described here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voxels-firmware-for-orbi-rbk50-system.42353/page-2#post-367525

2. If I see that GPL source codes published by NETGEAR developers were replaced after publishing my builds by castrated version, spoiled intentionally, with cut off key packages, i.e. if anybody will try to compile it he/she will get firmware which definitely brick the router. For example I have two version of the same old version of firmware, when first is OK after compilation, but second (currently this second is available for downloading) will cause bricked router.

Usually if I promise to do something, I really do that. But I can do almost nothing with GPL when most important packages are removed. I was in time to save e.g. R9000 GPL and Orbi GPL year ago with not yet removed packages. But I did not save e.g. GPL for R7000 or other routers.

Voxel.

Time to start thinking to move to an R7800 ? :cool:

IMO R7800 is one of the best working horse now. And optimal in the means cost/performance.

R7000 (probably) was one of the best but it was several years ago. You know, it is not very interesting for me to start development for obsolete products... There should be either interest or profits ;-)

Voxel.

Any plans to add a couple of features such as DHCP Option 60 (Vendor Class Identifier String) & 61 (Client Identifier String) ?

Thanks.