What's new

force 2.4 operate mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robinjoo1

Regular Contributor
how can i force the 2.4Ghz band to use B only so i have low data rates at my IoT devices it now uses

wifi 802.11g to 802.11b modes

i tried to find a config path i saw here
1674582064206.png

Have you tried changing Wireless Mode to Legacy in the admin page? It will disable 802.11n, using pre-shared keys (WEP) will force the use of pre-802.11g technologies

yes i did that but that still allows client to use the G band
i want them forcing to use the B (lowest data speed band )

1674582655037.png

wont BWI limit HW acceleration ?

Might have to play around with the wl command to achieve what you want. But honestly this requirement is weird because most people just want to stay away from 802.11b and not use it.

Last edited:
One thing you can do is to set up a Guest WIFI on 2.4 GHz and set the bandwidth limiter. May be best to not try to do just .11b.
1674584059882.png

never mind using guest network disables NAT acceleration
1674584658503.png

thanks that worked

Last edited:
how can i force the 2.4Ghz band to use B only so i have low data rates at my IoT devices it now uses

wifi 802.11g to 802.11b modes

i tried to find a config path i saw here
View attachment 47433

If anything you want to disable B and even G. Speed throttling or limiting the rates should be done in other ways. Changing to B doesn't simply change the supported speeds, it also makes your network insecure, slows down everything else on the router, does not play as well with multiple devices, won't coexist well with other 2.4 wifi networks, etc etc.

Playing around I was digging around on my AX88 as I recently turned off 11b at the router but that didn't carry over to the nodes (with wl0_rateset=default/ofdm where ofdm removes 11b)
Found wl0_hapd.conf and wl1_hapd.conf after using htop to monitor running processes... Wondering if its as easy as changing hw_mode=b to for 802.11b in the config, and setting wl0_rateset=default in NVRAM?

/tmp# cat wl0_hapd.conf
## General configurations
driver=nl80211
ctrl_interface_group=0
## Interface configurations
interface=eth6
hw_mode=g (would it be as easy as changing this to b along with wl0_rateset=default in NVRAM? to force only 802.11b rates?)
channel=6
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
ieee80211h=1
beacon_int=50
bridge=br0
dtim_period=1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ssid=############
auth_algs=1
ap_isolate=0
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK SAE
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_group_rekey=604800
wpa_ptk_rekey=0
wpa_passphrase=###############
sae_require_mfp=1
sae_anti_clogging_threshold=5
sae_sync=5
sae_groups=19 20 21
ieee80211w=1
disable_dgaf=0
hs20_deauth_req_timeout=0
osen=0
wmm_enabled=1

Attached is the 5Ghz wl1_hapd.conf that has a section for the guest network I have, in case you want to set up your IOT devices that way. Just noticed that in the GUI under General, wpa_group_rekey=604800 matches what I have there, but for the 5Ghz its wpa_group_rekey=3600? Files names different on the AX86 mesh nodes but the rekey values match the router and also are different between to 2.4 and 5Ghz... SSID's and WPA Passphrase redacted...

Attachments

• w11.txt
    1 KB · Views: 32

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!