What's new

Force aimesh on ethernet backhaul?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

Hi

is it possible to force aimesh on ETHERNET only?

sometimes my nodes goes offline, and i have no idea why, i can still ping all nodes, all cable related stuff is working
Seems i cant change that "auto" setting there?

See sreenshot 2 , when node is offline, seems its connected to wireless? and not ethernet anymore

1628251670032.png

1628251743320.png

Have you tried setting "Preferable Uplink AP" to be the main router?

i think you mean these options? well i cant change those, that combobox is also not opening

1628259005253.png

this doesnt do anything as well

1628259025950.png

Is Ethernet backhaul mode enabled under AiMesh -> System Settings?

yes, its enabled, and uplink type for both nodes = ethernet
works fine for a few days/weeks, then they are offline, i can still ping all nodes, but for some reason , they are offline, see screen 3 , and i need to power off/power on node again
the uplink type Ethernet is switched to Wifi for unknown reason

so i was looking to a Force ethernet only mode or something like that

1628261184391.png

1628261206612.png

1628261306764.png

What firmware is running on your three routers? Have you tried resetting the nodes to factory defaults and then re-associating them again?

If one node is wireless backhaul and the other is wired, this will cause issues if you use the System Settings Ethernet Backhaul Mode 'on' option.

If resetting the nodes and the options indicated above to defaults doesn't improve your network experience, you may need to reset the main router and the nodes fully to get them to work together (some settings are 'sticky', once they're toggled on, toggling them off doesn't 'fix' things on some routers/configurations).

I was running 386.2_6 , all factory resetted afterwards, from beginning setup on Ethernet, never used wireless for node...

2 hours ago updated to 386.3, let's see what happens in a few days/weeks

You may want to compare your configuration steps to the suggestions in the links below if the issue resurfaces.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Oh, and if you're using ports 5-8 on the RT-AC88U, don't. (Buy a $20 switch instead).

To try to fix the issues with ports 5-8 on the RT-AC88U, fully power down the router for a couple of minutes (I would also remove all connections to the router too, leaving the power switch 'on' but pulling the power plug from both the AC wall outlet and the router itself).

Yeah , will do, but setting it up is not rocket science... All works perfectly, untill a few weeks, seems my main router looses connection to the node... It says offline... But the main router can still ping / reach the device... That's not a setup/config issue, looks like an issue/bug/memory buffer issue

No, it is not rocket science. But it does require proper methods too.

See the post above for additional details (I edited the post after you replied, I believe).

Please use search to discover others with issues with those ports.

I got periodic disconnects from clients plugged into 5-8 that weren't that noticeable until connecting my wfh workstation to one of them. I can imagine it would not be good used for the backhaul.

I "needed" the AC88U for the link aggregation not provided on the AC86U and was aware of others with issues on 5-8 so steered away from using them initially.

Seems I read that the chip for the "extended" ports is made by a different manufacturer and suffers quality issues. Otherwise it's been a good Asus product running Merlin's firmware and hooking up an unmanaged switch to port 4 cured the disconnects.

Known for a very long time. No newer revisions that I know of.

At least, none that have addressed this issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!