What's new

Force all devices through VPN (without individual apps/software)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T.S.Fellow

Occasional Visitor
I have been able to download openvpn software on desktops and phones, and all successfully run through the ac88u as a server. What I cannot figure out is how to run the router so that all devices can connect to it as clients of the openvpn. So for example, items such as smart tv's and fire tv which cannot have openvpn software downloaded, will be able to connect through vpn.

I wanted to try and do this myself rather than paying for a VPN provider. Also have not found if Merlin or some other DD-WRT can support. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you'd need another router device where the openvpn client is configured.

The ac88u can run as both a client and server. I can run all devices through it as a server if each device has openvpn software running. And I can run all devices through it as a client of a third party vpn provider. But, I am curious if anyone has setup devices to run through the router as a client, which then connects to it as a server, all on the same network?

Looking for some technical advice on that aspect. would be nice to avoid an additional router, one as client and one as server if possible.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online