What's new

Force client lists refresh or force DHCP lease renewal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brec

Regular Contributor
Rebooting is often inconvenient because it disconnects innocent (i.e., other than me) users or a server. Is there any way to force a client list refresh, or to force a DHCP lease renewal of a device? The client list Refresh button doesn't seem to do anything.

The Client List in the GUI and the client's DHCP lease are two different things. So I'm not sure what the problem is that you're trying to solve.

I understand they're two different things. I'm trying to solve changing DHCP settings and not seeing the results in the client list until (I am guessing) the lease expires. E.g., taking a client offline doesn't reflect in the list. Removing a client from DHCP and assigning its ip to it manually doesn't reflect in the list. My lease time is set to 24 hours.

What you're describing is a known issue with the router's Network Map code (which generates the list). It's not really anything to do with DHCP leases. Unfortunately that part of the code is closed source so there's nothing we can do about it.

You could use a very short lease time yet this has some interesting effects.

I understand they're two different things. I'm trying to solve changing DHCP settings and not seeing the results in the client list until (I am guessing) the lease expires. E.g., taking a client offline doesn't reflect in the list. Removing a client from DHCP and assigning its ip to it manually doesn't reflect in the list. My lease time is set to 24 hours.

Bounce the wireless radios (and wired ports if any clients are wired), when the client reconnects they will renew their DHCP lease.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!