1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Force IP from AC86U over windows static ip?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by PaulKemp, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PaulKemp

PaulKemp Occasional Visitor

My headless server is placed on the attic with only power and ethernet, it has a old static IP assigned from within windows, so it now faults to a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP witch is the wrong subnet. Afaik this is how windows handles static ip's that are invalid and cannot get a response from the router.

Id rather not move the machine down, nor move a monitor and keyboard up there.

Is there a way to force either dhcp or a newly assigned static ip from the router? So it takes precedence over the old windows assigned static ip? Thanks!

2. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

How should this work?
    Your PC doesnt ask for IP as you set a static one on it, DHCP only gets involved if a client asks for an IP.
    You dont set static IPs on a router, if in reservation list your router will give same client this IP again and again using DHCP.

PaulKemp likes this.
  3. PaulKemp

PaulKemp Occasional Visitor

I dont know, i just hoped it was possible somehow. Ill carry it down with me and fix it through windows! Thanks for your reply and time.