What's new

Force LAN clients to use local DNS when DNS filtering is enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glassman

New Around Here
Hi there. I have DNS filtering turned on, and I'm using "OpenDNS Family" for the global filter with specific hosts using "OpenDNS Home." This will obviously force all DNS lookups to use OpenDNS. This is fine. I don't want to change that.

However, when I'm connected to my LAN, I want to be able to resolve "<hostname>.no-ip.org" to a local LAN IP on my network. I've added a "hosts.add" file to "/jffs/configs" to try and do just that, but it doesn't seem to be resolving to the host entry I made unless I turn off DNS filtering either globally or for a specific client, which I don't want to do.

Is there any way to force my LAN clients to resolve to local DNS entries made on the router while DNS filtering is turned on? Any insight anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any way to force my LAN clients to resolve to local DNS entries made on the router while DNS filtering is turned on?
Here's another way to do that. I can't comment on DNS filtering because I don't use that feature.

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
address=/hostname.no-ip.net/192.168.1.1

Then, restart dnsmasq.
service restart_dnsmasq

Here's another way to do that. I can't comment on DNS filtering because I don't use that feature.

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
address=/hostname.no-ip.net/192.168.1.1

Then, restart dnsmasq.
service restart_dnsmasq

Thanks for the reply DrPozo. I've tried that too, and unfortunately, it only works if DNS filtering is turned off.

Turning on DNS Filters or the Exclusive VPN option causes those DNS queries to bypass dnsmasq which does the name resolution. The only other option that immediately comes to mind is to edit the hosts file on each client that's affected.

Last edited:
Turning on DNS Filters or the Exclusive VPN option causes those DNS queries to bypass dnsmasq which does the name resolution. The only other option that immediately comes to mind is to edit the hosts file on each client that's affected.

So besides editing each and every hosts file on the client side, the only other thing I can do is turn off DNS filtering? Could there be any other solution that keeps DNS filtering in place?

I just re-read your original post.....and you said
I want to be able to resolve "<hostname>.no-ip.org" to a local LAN IP on my network
Assuming that's the DDNS service, it almost sounds as if you are trying to recreate NAT loopback which is already a built in function (if it appears to not be working, try switching the NAT loopback type to from Merlin to ASUS or vice versa in the gui). If that's not the case, can you give some more info on exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!