What's new

Force which node to connect to?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Czerdrill

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way, for a specific device to force it to connect to a specific router/node? I would like my laptop to connect to the router directly but it connects to a node downstairs. Can i make it connect to the router manually? I saw there was a way to prevent certain devices from roaming, but didnt know how to make them connect to the one i want first. Thanks!

Is there a way, for a specific device to force it to connect to a specific router/node? I would like my laptop to connect to the router directly but it connects to a node downstairs. Can i make it connect to the router manually? I saw there was a way to prevent certain devices from roaming, but didnt know how to make them connect to the one i want first. Thanks!

That is a catch. I think one approach is to move close to the preferred node and/or switch OFF the WiFi on a competing node.

You could create a router-only guest WLAN, but that's not very elegant and may expire if Asus ever gets guest WLANs working across the mesh.

In an ideal mesh, it shouldn't matter what node you connect to.

OE

That is a catch. I think one approach is to move close to the preferred node and/or switch OFF the WiFi on a competing node.

You could create a router-only guest WLAN, but that's not very elegant and may expire if Asus ever gets guest WLANs working across the mesh.

In an ideal mesh, it shouldn't matter what node you connect to.

OE
I'm sure it's some setting issue with me then. Seem to get slow speeds on the node my laptop seems to always want to auto connect to. It's like its not picking the best node automatically. The laptop is pretty stationary, but it wants to connect to the node downstairs which only has a good signal as opposed to the two upstairs which have great signals. I'll keep playing around thanks for your help.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's some setting issue with me then. Seem to get slow speeds on the node my laptop seems to always want to auto connect to. It's like its not picking the best node automatically. The laptop is pretty stationary, but it wants to connect to the node downstairs which only has a good signal as opposed to the two upstairs which have great signals. I'll keep playing around thanks for your help.

My laptop adapter driver has a setting to 'keep searching' for a better connection. I suppose that could be a good or bad depending on how well it decides.

You could also try adjusting the node location to affect the signal overlap at the laptop... moving the node a bit might solve the problem well enough.

OE

My laptop adapter driver has a setting to 'keep searching' for a better connection. I suppose that could be a good or bad depending on how well it decides.

You could also try adjusting the node location to affect the signal overlap at the laptop... moving the node a bit might solve the problem well enough.

OE
Yes i think moving it might be the best option. Thanks again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!