What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

just wanted to say thanks for the build, but unfortunately compared to the latest Merlin build I was on, the signal for wifi is SO weak it's unusable. I used to be able to use my 5g network 2 rooms over with absolutely no problem and get around 130-160mbps download speeds....now, nothing will even connect to that network unless you're pretty much 10 feet away. so for me, wifi performance was much worse on this build than the Merlin build I was on. Thanks for the build though, was interesting to try and use Asus' firmware upgrade tool for the first time, but i have to go back to Merlin's build since this simply won't work right.

the signal for wifi is SO weak it's unusable
Hi! Did you reset to factory settings and manually reconfigured after? I had my share of issues that were due to some weird stuck settings between fw revisions.
My recommendation? Save your current settings, load this fork, reset to factory settings and then try the wifi signal before investing time in reconfiguring. If everything works then do so and if not go back and recover your settings, at much you could’ve wasted 30’

@jayochs That's unfortunate, and also rather surprising. One of the reasons people choose this fork is because the wifi is better (or at least not worse!).

Out of interest, what model router do you have? Also, as @Santiago C said, make sure you did a factory reset after loading the firmware and don't try to reload an old configuration file - do a manual configure.

It might also be worth double checking what the power output is set to for each radio under Wireless > Professional.

thanks guys! yup, i did a complete reset of everything. i also checked power, had them both set at 90mw, and even bumped 5ghz up to 105 and it still wouldn't connect at all.

here's the weird thing, though. so beforehand in my room 2 rooms down from the router, i could use 5g no problem. sure the signal wasn't AMAZING, but it would always connect, and always be above 80mbps download speeds. i flashed back to the Merlin newest build, and all of a sudden, i can still connect to 5g no problem, but my speeds are much worse than before. this is after numerous factory resets.

my router is the Asus RTn66R (or n66u, was the best buy version) and it's B1 revision. weird how after trying the new firmware my 5ghz has become problematic. maybe i'll let it settle a bit.

@jayochs Thanks for the update. Bear in mind that 5GHz is very susceptible to environmental changes, particularly when at the edge of reception. So simple things, like slightly moving the antennas, or closing a nearby door can have a noticeable effect. Heck, even my cat moving around near the router causes a noticeable signal drop!:D

Also try turning the 5GHz power setting up to max. On my router that's 200mW.

whoa crazy, i never thought to set them that high! i actually flashed back to the Merlin build and it's set at performance which is max, but they don't say how many MW that is. i'll have to play around with the router itself again. i'm still getting bad speeds. thanks!

Occasionally after a reboot, I notice qos is not active. I can then log into the router and issue 'service restart_qos' and then it's good to go. But it sometimes doesn't seem to be starting properly. I thought to grab the log just a bit ago when it happened, but there wasn't much there (that made sense to me). The only thing I noticed is that there's a chronological difference in order between it coming up naturally and being manually restarted.

Traditional qos, handful of rules - nothing fancy, 22E4. syslog entries w/ "qos"

Code:
Dec 31 19:00:30 qos: tqos start complete
Dec 31 19:00:44 qos: using ipv4_lan_ipaddr 10.1.1.0/24
Dec 31 19:00:44 qos: apply rules (/tmp/mangle_rules) success!
Jan 28 20:47:03 rc_service: service 887:notify_rc restart_qos
Jan 28 20:47:04 qos: using ipv4_lan_ipaddr 10.1.1.0/24
Jan 28 20:47:04 qos: apply rules (/tmp/mangle_rules) success!
Jan 28 20:47:04 qos: tqos start complete

Anybody see this, or have ideas?

Occasionally after a reboot, I notice qos is not active. I can then log into the router and issue 'service restart_qos' and then it's good to go. But it sometimes doesn't seem to be starting properly. I thought to grab the log just a bit ago when it happened, but there wasn't much there (that made sense to me). The only thing I noticed is that there's a chronological difference in order between it coming up naturally and being manually restarted.

Traditional qos, handful of rules - nothing fancy, 22E4. syslog entries w/ "qos"

Code:
Dec 31 19:00:30 qos: tqos start complete
Dec 31 19:00:44 qos: using ipv4_lan_ipaddr 10.1.1.0/24
Dec 31 19:00:44 qos: apply rules (/tmp/mangle_rules) success!
Jan 28 20:47:03 rc_service: service 887:notify_rc restart_qos
Jan 28 20:47:04 qos: using ipv4_lan_ipaddr 10.1.1.0/24
Jan 28 20:47:04 qos: apply rules (/tmp/mangle_rules) success!
Jan 28 20:47:04 qos: tqos start complete

Anybody see this, or have ideas?
When you say it's 'not active', what are you using to make that determination? Also, I'd need to see the full syslog, not just the extract. QoS will start/restart several times during the boot process, and since your first extract is from before the system clock was set, there should be another qos start afterwards. Also, note that the gui can come back after a reboot before the reboot is actually complete.

When you say it's 'not active', what are you using to make that determination?

No bandwidth limiting whatsoever, confirmed by a speed test in browser. Issuing the restart to qos immediately remedies the problem. Will PM the most recent syslog. It will also occasionally stop working after several days of uptime as well, though that's less common. I'll try to do a better job of catching it when it happens and grabbing a log.

No bandwidth limiting whatsoever, confirmed by a speed test in browser. Issuing the restart to qos immediately remedies the problem. Will PM the most recent syslog. It will also occasionally stop working after several days of uptime as well, though that's less common. I'll try to do a better job of catching it when it happens and grabbing a log.
Turn on some more 'stuff' :)
But seriously, you are running such a minimal config that QoS is trying to start even before the WAN interface is up which the code didn't handle well. I'll put a fix in the next beta release that I hope you can try out.

EDIT: Turns out this was wrong.....analysis continues.

Last edited:
... QoS is trying to start even before the WAN interface is up which the code didn't handle well.

Kind of interesting that is what is at play. I noticed the line in the log with "WAN was restored" a couple seconds after the tqos complete entry. As such, my temporary workaround idea was to throw a qos restart in the wan-start script. I'll for sure be interested in testing a fix, though. Appreciate the help, as always.

As such, my temporary workaround idea was to throw a qos restart in the wan-start script.
That should work as a workaround, but also include a qos stop command

/tmp/qos stop (some parts of this may fail, but if there is a /tmp/qos file leave it in)
service restart_qos

Kind of interesting that is what is at play. I noticed the line in the log with "WAN was restored" a couple seconds after the tqos complete entry. As such, my temporary workaround idea was to throw a qos restart in the wan-start script. I'll for sure be interested in testing a fix, though. Appreciate the help, as always.
Well, I have to retract my original theory. I stripped my system down and got the same sequence as you bu my qos was working correctly at the end (the WAN restored message is just delayed a bit.....the WAN was actually up before the QoS start). So.....I see you are running pixelserv (AB Solution?). Can you try disabling that and see if QoS works at the end of the boot?

Also, what is shown on the QoS statistics page when it appears to not be working.

EDIT: One more....do you have any scripts which manipulate the mangle table or set iptables marks?

Last edited:
Well, I have to retract my original theory. I stripped my system down and got the same sequence as you bu my qos was working correctly at the end (the WAN restored message is just delayed a bit.....the WAN was actually up before the QoS start). So.....I see you are running pixelserv (AB Solution?). Can you try disabling that and see if QoS works at the end of the boot?
Wouldn't you know, woke up to a comcast outage, so the testing will have to wait a bit, but I can at least supply some info. Pixelserv installed via entware, no AB Soulution.
Also, what is shown on the QoS statistics page when it appears to not be working.
It is blank. It has the categories/legend, but there's no pie chart at all.
EDIT: One more....do you have any scripts which manipulate the mangle table or set iptables marks?
All I have that's not vanilla are the scripts that are created as part of the entware install script, and a wan-start script that sleeps for 20, and calls a script I wrote that grabs mvps and yoyo, formats them, and restarts dnsmasq.

When it's failed, please send me a PM (or links to a share) with
the content of /tmp/qos
the output from running
/tmp/qos
Will do. Weekends are not good for me to be tinkering and interrupting Hulu. On top of that, I can't reproduce the issue - it just pops up once every great while. Under normal circumstances I reboot the 68W very rarely.

@john9527

Hi John,
I would like to submit the following problem to you:
I live in Italy and I have a Vodafone italian ISP's FTTH internet connection;
as many italian ISPs, Vodafone provides to me a GPON ONT (Huawei) and a VDSL Modem/Router VSR (Vodafone Station Revolution - also made by Huawei) in leasing.
The VSR is connected to the ONT in the following manner: VSR (WAN port) <----> ONT (LAN port) and ONT (GPON port) <---> Fiber cable that enter to my home.
I would like to use my ASUS RT-AC68u router in place of the buggy VSR Vodafone router, but there is one problem: beetween VSR and ONT there is a PPP session with a Vodafone PPP Host-Unique-tag that creates a non standard method to force Vodafone's users to use the VSR only to establish a connection (or, in others words, you normally can't use a router different from the VSR).
Reading around the italian forums, I seen that Vodafone uses a unknown username and the HEX of VSR S/N as password to establish the PPP internet session.
My question is: is it possible to add a code/script (with a mini-guide) to insert the 2 mentioned parameters in the PPPD process/daemon of your modded Asus firmware to use ASUS Router in place of the VSR Vodafone Router?

Here I found a link with some useful code (Sorry, but I am not a programmer): LINK

Thank you in advance!!
Best Regards from Italy! :)

This sounds like a twist on one of the Movistar IPTV profiles. I had to bypass supporting Movistar as it's too big a change (over 1000 lines of code all over the place). I think your best hope here is to try and submit a support request directly to ASUS, then Merlin can potentially pick it up in one of his merges for his builds.

GOOD NEWS !!!!

I have just read this note about the changelog below:

ASUS DSL-AC55u - FW: v1.1.2.2_17
================================
From Changelog:
---------------
Bug fixes and Enhancements:
- Added host-uniq option for ISP Vodafone in Italy.

Is it now possible to import that feature (HOST-UNIQUE for Italian ISP Vodafone) on John/Merlin FW for RT-AC68u ???

Hi @john9527
I've bought another N66U for a friend of mine. Came in today, I directly wanted to flash your custom firmware, BUT... the router came with firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3831-g93dfe8c installed. It won't accept your firmware due to the regulatory amendments... :(

Full message:
"To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware."

Is there a know way already to install your firmware when firmware .380 or higher is installed?
I truly hope so! Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!