What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You are to good for this world Colin.
Doing a search for people who initially are to lazy(or to incompetent) to do the search themselfs.

I vote for a ColinTaylor search app:) preferably to be used with Apple's Siri(yes i am to lazy to type)

I did what he should have done and searched the forums for the answer. :rolleyes::D

Does anyone know if it is possible on John's firmware to issue a different DNS IP address for clients connecting through the guest wifi?

I am using Pihole (DNS ad filtering) running on a raspberry pi that is connected to the internal network. The Pihole filters ad domains and then forwards the DNS queries to the internet.
Obviously, clients connecting to the guest network cannot use this DNS server if it is advertised in their DHCP lease, because they are not allowed connecting to the internal network.

As a workaround, I now use the "DNS Server 1" option on the router's WAN page, and set the IP of the Pihole system there. With this enabled, all clients now have the router's IP as their DNS server and the router itself forwards all the DNS queries to the Pihole system instead of the client.

The downside of this, is that on the Pihole system, only the routers IP address shows up as the client that does the DNS queries. I would like to see queries per client, which is standard if the client forwards it's DNS queries itself.

So the question is; is it possible to have different dhcp dns settings for internal and guest clients? Internal clients get the Pihole as DNS server, guest clients connect directly to internet DNS servers.

I know it is not possible through the webinterface, any ideas for manual configuration through the console?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is possible on John's firmware to issue a different DNS IP address for clients connecting through the guest wifi?
Your question isn't really specific to John's firmware but would also apply to Merlin's as well. I'm pretty sure I remember reading quite a few posts recently about using a separate DHCP server for guest networks and there were some user-friendly scripts provided. Have a search in the Asuswrt and Merlin forums and I'm sure you'll be able to find the solution. There's probably something on the wiki.

So the question is; is it possible to have different dhcp dns settings for internal and guest clients? Internal clients get the Pihole as DNS server, guest clients connect directly to internet DNS servers.

I do not use guest wifi at home, however I do use a pi hole and John's fork. What I do is set the WAN dns to OpenDNS's servers. So the router itself has dns resolution. Then on the LAN tab under the DHCP settings, I set the IP of my pihole on DNS Server 1 for the internal Network. This works fine, and pihole gives me a per ip query on it's interface.

This is the guess: You can try enabling "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" in there as well. I assume this should push both your pihole and router as a dns server. Then systems who cannot connect to the pihole would default back to the router.

Last edited:
i had a second occurrence of a strange issue on my RT-N16 in the last few months - it rebooted to factory defaults by itself.
As we're talking of a 7 years old device i'm thinking of a solution tp my problem - recompile it with my own defaults.
Is it doable? if yes - how to do it?

Your question isn't really specific to John's firmware but would also apply to Merlin's as well. I'm pretty sure I remember reading quite a few posts recently about using a separate DHCP server for guest networks and there were some user-friendly scripts provided. Have a search in the Asuswrt and Merlin forums and I'm sure you'll be able to find the solution. There's probably something on the wiki.

I know.. but I thought maybe there is someone in here that has this already enabled :). Thanks for te reply, will look into it.

I do not use guest wifi at home, however I do use a pi hole and John's fork. What I do is set the WAN dns to OpenDNS's servers. So the router itself has dns resolution. Then on the LAN tab under the DHCP settings, I set the IP of my pihole on DNS Server 1 for the internal Network. This works fine, and pihole gives me a per ip query on it's interface.

You are right, if you are not using guest wifi (or just give guest access to internal lan) there is no problem with that setup. But when using guest wifi this setup is not valid anymore because the guest client cannot access the internal IP address.

This is the guess: You can try enabling "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" in there as well. I assume this should push both your pihole and router as a dns server. Then systems who cannot connect to the pihole would default back to the router.

The "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS", sets the router IP address as (extra) DNS server for the client, but it would also give both addresses to an internal client, meaning this internal client would also possibly use the router's IP as DNS instead of the pihole.

ColinTaylor and cybrnook, thanks for thinking along! :)

Edit: I think I already found something to start from and worth mentioning! And of course, John is involved :) https://www.snbforums.com/threads/guest-networks-and-dhcp.14141/page-2#post-286748

Last edited:
Same here.. Been loosing internet on the ports at random but the WIFI will continue on... Reboot solves it but I have been having this issues as well on these last two versions. (23-24) Running 2 N66U's over here - one is the main router and the other is in AP mode. The AP is connected to the main N66 via WAN Ethernet port and then the 1-4 ethernet ports will just stop connecting to the internet but the wifi will still work on the AP. So the AP is getting internet through the WAN port and continues to feed it to Wifi but the ports suddenly stop responding. I'll admit it isn't happening very often and there seems to be no pattern to it, but it is happening and continues to happen. Sometimes I can go 7-10 days with no issues, while other times it's only a few days before a reboot is needed. No special setup over here... just running the router like you would right out of the box.

I've been having same issue on my N66u via a TP-Link wireless powerline extender. Android phone will be on wireless but say 'No Internet'. then it comes back after a minute. the tp-link is paired to another powerline box near the router which is connected via ethernet cable.

any fix for this? I saw in this post this has been an issue seen on version 23-24, I might try downgrading to an older version to test.

Any plans to update IPSet from 6.29 > 6.32?

OK, maybe this is not specific to John's fork but I am using it ever since and really can't remember what the standard or other merlin FWs look like. ;)

I am using my AC68U in AP-mode...but still it offers to enable the guest-wifi networks in the UI.
So, what is the use? OK, I know the use case for guest -wifi, but how do I separate the networks behind the AP?
I just enabled on guest SSID for tests, connected to it and ... well, of course guests can see all my intranet as my router does not know how to identify a guest on the LAN traffic. Guests do not see the ASUS services (SAMBA on USB disks) but the rest of the other in-house world :eek:

regards,
Ford

So I've got quite the strange problem. I recently upgraded to Fios gigabit internet. I couldn't figure out what was causing my download speeds to tank like a rock. It turn out when I enable the 5ghz radio, my download speed drops from 900mbps to 200. This is even with no wireless clients even connected to it. I physically went around the house unplugging everything connected to that band. I'm on firmware 23E4j9527. Any ideas?

@Ren34 It sounds suspiciously like NAT acceleration has been disabled. You can check it at Tools > Sysinfo.

What router model do you have?

HW acceleration was enabled. I seem to have narrowed it down to my upstairs AP, which is also a N66U. I rebooted it and my main router's download speeds went back to normal, even with the 5ghz radio on. No clue what was causing the issue between the main router's 5ghz radio and the upstairs AP. All is good now. One less thing to fix today.

>The following routers are supported by this firmware:
>N16, N66U, AC66U (original MIPS based revs), AC56U, AC68U (Rev A1,A2,B1) (Rev C1 is NOT supported), >and AC68P (and the retail and color versions, R and W, of each router)

I have received notice from my favourite store that the AC56 is discontinued here in Canada, and the AC68 is rev C1 only, so I can't get any new ARM router to run LTS anymore.

Are there any plans to a new LTS build that could cover some of the new routers in the market?

Just came upon this news item and wanted to know if John's fork is impacted.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/11/asus_routers_need_patching/

Here's the initial part of the article:

"Asus RT wireless routers have joined the SOHOpeless list – with poor cross-site request forgery protection affecting 30 variants of the devices.

The design blunders, labeled CVE-2017-5891, hit RT-AC and RT-N variants using firmware older than version 3.0.0.4.380.7378."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!