What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It appears to be part of Asus' new closed-source protect_srv service.

The version of the code John is using is actually open sourced. It's the newer version that's part of 382 that has gone closed source.

In that case I would also prefer to switch off this closed source Asus thing. :p
I really like the well maintained open source scripts found here on SNB. :)
Already have it implemented and tested :)

Attachments

• FWPTCSRV.PNG
    FWPTCSRV.PNG
    94.8 KB · Views: 781
Really nice!

I assume the default is "Yes", because that is what most people will use.
If you hover over it with the mouse do you also get a nice help text balloon?
With something like: "Switch to No only if you use third party firewall blocking script(s)." :D

Metaphor time.....even though you have the door locked (no WAN access), people are continually coming by and knocking on the door. This provides an extra bit of protection if someone (or a bunch of people) continuously knock on the door.

Thanks John, I am not using any other stuff like Skynet, so you and Colin convinced me not to touch it..!

Edit: Man you go fast @john9527. I am now reading that you have already created an option to disable it... Surely I am going to try that! :)

got a question regarding PS4 and black ops3
at the moment i have QOS on and use port forwarding.
i want to give the PS4 even more connection quality and will put it in DMZ(bypassing firewall)
in this case i can deleta al the port forwarding stuff
But does it still use QOS or will that get bypassed as well

eg what's the best idea DMZ and everything of or DMZ with QOS rules?

Uhhh is DMZ even save

thanks

Last edited:
got a question regarding PS4 and black ops3
at the moment i have QOS on and use port forwarding.
i want to give the PS4 even more connection quality and will put it in DMZ(bypassing firewall)
in this case i can deleta al the port forwarding stuff
But does it still use QOS or will that get bypassed as well

eg what's the best idea DMZ and everything of or DMZ with QOS rules?

Uhhh is DMZ even save

thanks
Don't use DMZ. I wouldn't use port forwarding either, just let upnp do its thing. Using john's traditional QoS works great with consoles. Just set up the PS4 with a static ip and assign the ip to have a higher priority QoS rule and you'll be good to go.

ok makes sense that uPNP takes care of the port stuff but enabling uPNP on a router is not save either so i was told.
it can be hackes from outside the router.
What doe you mean with john traditional QOS? just enable it without any rules?

but enabling uPNP on a router is not save either so i was told.
it can be hackes from outside the router.
No it can't. There was an issue with some routers many years ago, but that is not the case now. UPnP is not accessible from the internet. Even from within the LAN UPnP runs in secure mode now.

ok thanks
regarding the QOS. i have been using your rules Colin (PS4 on high priority) keep that or deleta al the rules and let ther default ones rule(do not know if rules add lag or anything, yes i konw they should create the opposite)

regarding the QOS. i have been using your rules Colin (PS4 on high priority) keep that or deleta al the rules and let ther default ones rule
No don't delete all the rules, because you won't have any rules at all then. If you delete all the rules you will have to type new ones in to replace them.
(do not know if rules add lag or anything, yes i konw they should create the opposite)
QoS can be quite CPU intensive particularly with slow routers like you have. Even with a few simple rules I found my RT-N66U couldn't download faster than about 100Mbps. What is your internet speed?

my speeds are not that high 50Mbit down, 5Mbit up
but if skipping the rules mean i have more performance that might be a better idea.
wil QOS bring me any advantages to the PS4 or only when i am heavily downloading

my speeds are not that high 50Mbit down, 5Mbit up
but if skipping the rules mean i have more performance that might be a better idea.
wil QOS bring me any advantages to the PS4 or only when i am heavily downloading
I suggest that you try turning off QoS completely and see what that is like. Unless you have other devices that are downloading lots of data at the same time you shouldn't have any problems.

ok will try but i remember my son complaining so time ago when i was downloading(with 20Mbit) so that's when i started to implement QOS.
this probably the only case where the PS4 get's hurt.
strange because lot's of bandwith left and most PS4 games are upload sensitive and not download(bo3 pushes a lot of data out insatead of collecting it)

If you feel like experimenting, this is what I use to good effect. If you have 50 down/5 up, I'd try an upload bandwidth around 4.5 and a download around 45.

UojkAZO.png

ok thanks.

currently i have it at default(low default) without any rules to see what happens.
it seems that the PS4 in this case also gets a low QOS.
i thought the default QOS should give gaming a higher priority but it is not recognised as such

if this is not the case then i still need extra rules like the one above

Attachments

• qos.jpg
    qos.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 794
currently i have it at default(low default) without any rules
i thought the default QOS should give gaming a higher priority but it is not recognised as such
If you don't have any rules, no, nothing will be prioritized. Which may even still work for you as long as your bandwidth limits are strict enough. But I would at least do this: make a rule to catch big downloads and uploads (transfer size starting at 1536 or so (I went with 2048) and port 80 at a minimum (I like to include 88, 443, and 8080 as well) and set it at a lower priority than the default priority. That way the big transfers don't choke out everything else.

regarding bandwidth throttling

@john. would it be possible to make those setting in Kbps instead of Mbps
i now can only choose 0.1 as the lowest setting and i would like to go to 128, 256 etc

this is used to tune connections for online gaming to avoid ghosting and lagging (yes slowing down sometimes speeds things up)

regarding bandwidth throttling

@john. would it be possible to make those setting in Kbps instead of Mbps
i now can only choose 0.1 as the lowest setting and i would like to go to 128, 256 etc

this is used to tune connections for online gaming to avoid ghosting and lagging (yes slowing down sometimes speeds things up)
I think it is, by default. The label is a drop down selector in either case.

would it be possible to make those setting in Kbps instead of Mbps
Uhhh.....0.1 Mb/s = 102 Kb/s
Do you want to go lower than that?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!