What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the result of the nvram show ... command on 378.55?

Same values as with the 27E5 (except for the size which differed by a few bytes)

size: 46818 bytes (18718 left)
1:ccode=JP
0:regrev=45
0:ccode=JP
1:regrev=47

I'm back on 27E5 now and did the nvram erase trick from Sanna1967 right as I was rebooting. Unfortunately nothing changed.
I also noticed that in the Tools section, under Sysinfo, the temperature field for the 5ghz wifi band is shown as disabled - however when I hover over the top right green wifi icon, it shows 5G wifi as using channel 34

Just to add on because I said it didn't matter, it's probably worth it to do a factory reset after loading 378.55 before checking that.

Ok let me try again :)

By the way, is the nvram erase trick the same as factory reset from the GUI ?

By the way, is the nvram erase trick the same as factory reset from the GUI ?
As far as I know, it is. I do a different thing with mtd-erase2 but I don't ever suggest it because it's easy to do big damage if you mess up. The WPS button press while booting is my second favorite because you can do it without getting into the router via software.

As far as I know, it is. I do a different thing with mtd-erase2 but I don't ever suggest it because it's easy to do big damage if you mess up. The WPS button press while booting is my second favorite because you can do it without getting into the router via software.

Ok back on 378.55 with a nvram erase right as the router was rebooting.
5ghz working, nvram show command result is still

size: 43684 bytes (21852 left)

Quick question: is it safe to do a nvram-restore on 378.55 with the backup I have from 26E4 ?

Just between the facts that there are 12 Merlin versions (43_2 and 55) and a couple code base steps (374 and 378) between them I wouldn't if it was me.

Ok back on 378.55 with a nvram erase right as the router was rebooting.
5ghz working, nvram show command result is still

size: 43684 bytes (21852 left)

Quick question: is it safe to do a nvram-restore on 378.55 with the backup I have from 26E4 ?

Last question first.....no you can't use a backup made from the gui on 26E4 to 378.55.

Back to the wireless....I'd like to take whomever does the wireless drivers for ASUS out to the woodshed....
1:regrev=47 is valid on the drivers for 378.55 which are before the new SDK. I use the drivers from 380.66 and '47' is no longer valid. Why they can't just leave things alone is beyond me (or even better, always make the default regrev for all regions be the same value, like 0) :mad::mad::mad:

I'll send you a PM with a new release to try .

Last edited:
I'd like to take whomever does the wireless drivers for ASUS out to the woodshed....
1:regrev=47 is valid on the drivers for 378.55 which are before the new SDK. I use the drivers from 380.66 and '47' is no longer valid. Why they can't just leave things alone is beyond me (or even better, always make the default regrev for all regions be the same value, like 0) :mad::mad::mad:
Progress!

What tweaks do you guys make to the WiFi settings for best stability and performance? Anything like limiting to N mode, disabling b/g protection, short preamble, etc.?

installed 27E5 yesterday evening and everything seemed fine.
This morning, no internet.
Since my son needed internet i rebooted the router and al is well (but is should have looked in the log ofcourse to see what happened)
Will see if it happens again but this is the first time i got instabillity after an upgrade.

What tweaks do you guys make to the WiFi settings for best stability and performance? Anything like limiting to N mode, disabling b/g protection, short preamble, etc.?
Nothing that is specific to this fork. The question has been asked many times in the main forums, search there for suggestions.

just put both bands on auto.
if you want better performance then install the power registry hack and you can increase the power per channel.
Drivers in the fork are already better than standard drivers so upping the power to 200mw will increase power but also noise.
i have mine at 120mW for 2.4 and 100mw for 5ghz

also fix channels to something less occupied will help

Does anyone know where the How-to is to move the OpenVPN certs to jffs? I've searched the change logs and can't find it anywhere. I know it existed at one time so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great as I'm now running close to 95% nvram usage after turning on the second OpenVPN server. Thanks very much.
It's in Merlin_Fork_Options.txt which came with the firmware, near the bottom of the file.

It's in Merlin_Fork_Options.txt which came with the firmware, near the bottom of the file.

Thanks very much...found it. :)

Drivers in the fork are already better than standard drivers

It is my understanding that this is only true for the N66 models. You and I both have those, so yes, it helps us<G>.

Last question first.....no you can't use a backup made from the gui on 26E4 to 378.55.

Back to the wireless....I'd like to take whomever does the wireless drivers for ASUS out to the woodshed....

I'll send you a PM with a new release to try .

Thank you !

It works great now, regrev has changed to 45 for the nvram show command but still 47 from the bootloader one
Is this something I should be concerned about ? Like in the future, anything specific I should avoid so as not to revert the regrev to 47 ?

bl_version=1.0.2.0

size: 50355 bytes (15181 left)
1:regrev=45

It works great now, regrev has changed to 45 for the nvram show command but still 47 from the bootloader one
Is this something I should be concerned about ? Like in the future, anything specific I should avoid so as not to revert the regrev to 47 ?
No, I intercept the bootloader value and change it to something that works :) I expect that the latest Merlin is doing the same thing, but I just can't see it because it's been moved into closed source code.

John,

i allways have had #a as country code to allow for higher power output.
2.4 is at 120mw
5ghz is at 100mw

now with 27E5 i get these settings(both 100)
does this power hack still works?
it seems that anything higher then 100 is visible in the user interface but not from the commandline

admin@RT-AC66U-27E8:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep power
Ate_power_on_off_ver=2.4
wl_txpower=100
size: 51992 bytes (13544 left)
wl0_txpower=100
pci/2/1/measpower1=0x7f
pci/2/1/measpower2=0x7f
Ate_power_on_off_enable=0
pci/2/1/measpower=0x7f
wl1_txpower=100

Hi John,

Noticed something in the wireless log with respect to Guest Networks. It shows a client connected to a guest network using the descriptive letters and different color which is good. However, is there any future plans to show a separate entry for each guest network in the wireless log within the GUI? No biggie but just more of a query as I know you have a lot on your plate. Thanks.

John,

i allways have had #a as country code to allow for higher power output.
2.4 is at 120mw
5ghz is at 100mw

now with 27E5 i get these settings(both 100)
does this power hack still works?
it seems that anything higher then 100 is visible in the user interface but not from the commandline

admin@RT-AC66U-27E8:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep power
Ate_power_on_off_ver=2.4
wl_txpower=100
size: 51992 bytes (13544 left)
wl0_txpower=100
pci/2/1/measpower1=0x7f
pci/2/1/measpower2=0x7f
Ate_power_on_off_enable=0
pci/2/1/measpower=0x7f
wl1_txpower=100
Check the values of wlx_TxPower (different case).....those are used for the MIPS based routers. The lowercase txpower is only used for the ARM.

Hi John,

Noticed something in the wireless log with respect to Guest Networks. It shows a client connected to a guest network using the descriptive letters and different color which is good. However, is there any future plans to show a separate entry for each guest network in the wireless log within the GUI? No biggie but just more of a query as I know you have a lot on your plate. Thanks.
No, no plans for that one. If I remember correctly, there is really no order in which the clients are presented when querying the radios. Means I'd have to build an array, then sort it. Seemed like a lot of work, with other things to do :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!