What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just updated to 27E5 from 26E4, and I have problems finding my 5G network, it's not or sporadically showing up on my network (e.g. phone/pc). Also, speeds seems to be down considerably for my 2.4G network, only getting around 100 mbs. I did a full factory reset this time (since ages), but this has not worked. Everything's been very stable for over a year, this is the first serious drop in performance for me. Not sure what's going on...

edit: just noticed my CPU is doing 94 C (2.4/5 ghz chips around 60), is that too warm? I have the router in a closed cupboard since a month or two, will try taking it outside.

edit 2: moving the router to a more open space in the cupboard lowered temps considerably, after which both networks appeared to be working as normal. I now have 1.3 Gbps showing up on the 5G, never saw such a high figure before :). Thank you, sorry for bothering.

Last edited:
Stop, wait a minute....

EDIT: I am confused, what are you doing? 3.0.0.4.380.7744 is damn near the latest build for your router from Asus, no you cannot flash to Johns fork from this build as it is WAY too new.

Just get to the recovery web server, or the recovery tool and flash John's build from there. That's it.

Can i downgrade to older Asus version the normal Way [emoji780]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can i downgrade to older Asus version the normal Way
Not all the time
From the changelog :
For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website to install this fork firmware and perform a factory default reset following the firmware update.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030652

This is awesome, great work @john9527

I went through quite a few pages and read the first page a couple of times but I'm unable to find the answer to this question. I have a N66U router wanted to know if John/anyone has done a performance benchmark of the newer/latest Merlin builds with This LTS fork? I understand the fork has older wireless drivers which is the primary advantage of this fork over the latest Merlin builds but how much performance improvement has been noted?

BTW the answer to this question would be an awesome addition to the first post. Thanks.

Not all the time
From the changelog :
For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website to install this fork firmware and perform a factory default reset following the firmware update.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030652

How old Asus version back Can u flash Fork from?

Last edited:
but how much performance improvement has been noted?
That's impossible to answer. For one thing, how do you quantify "performance"; range, link speed, throughput, stability, compatibility, 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz, DFS vs. non-DFS, US vs. EU vs. China, output power, receiver sensitivity, etc.? Also, everyone's environment is different so what is good for one person is not necessarily so for another. At the end of the day the only way to know which is best for you is to compare them yourself.

That's impossible to answer. For one thing, how do you quantify "performance"; range, link speed, throughput, stability, compatibility, 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz, DFS vs. non-DFS, US vs. EU vs. China, output power, receiver sensitivity, etc.? Also, everyone's environment is different so what is good for one person is not necessarily so for another. At the end of the day the only way to know which is best for you is to compare them yourself.
Excellent point, right now I'll take any of the above, so if anyone has information they can share about any of the point above it would be great.

Prime important personally:
1. Stability
2. Throughput
3. Range

Gonna try this and then upgrade to Fork again[emoji1374]

Guide to downgrading from the ASUSWRT 380 version that doesn't allow you to use old firmware files.

Prep:

With your computer plugged into the ethernet port on your router, change your ethernet adapter IPv4 settings to manual, IP: 192.168.1.10, subnet: 255.255.255.0.

Power off router.
Power on router while holding reset until the Power LED starts blinking. (this is for n66u, it might be different for your router)
Go to 192.168.1.1, you will see a image that says CFE Miniweb server and a firmware upload form.
Simply upload the firmware file you want (I used Merlin 376.48_3)
Click upload and after it's done uploading it will say to wait a few moments for the router to reboot, this can take up to an hour (and probably will! be patient!).
You're done! Change your IPv4 settings back to auto DHCP.
This method works for downgrading from the 380 firmware version that doesn't allow you to use the form to downgrade, which is really useful. It also works if you fracked up your router and it just keeps booting into rescue.

Would like some feedback from the user community...

Based on some feedback, I am considering making a separate code release to support the new rev AC68's and it's brothers and returning the returning the base fork to what it was originally. Fix and function content would remain the same for both. This would do a couple of things....

- Users of the original fork on older AC68's would not be forced to do a factory reset or reformat JFFS to upgrade (although they still could move to the later release with the newer drivers if they so desired).
- Some users have also reported better performance with older client hardware on the older drivers of the original fork. This would keep an upgrade path for them.
- Users that already updated to the new SDK on older hardware, would just continue to use the NewSDK release without the need for another factory reset or JFFS reformat.

Is it worth my effort? Would it make things too confusing?

Yes please! After 2 weeks running the new 27E5 on my TM-AC1900 and AC68R, I definitely see the drop in wireless performance and stability. I had to go back to 26E4.
Thanks again for your time!

On one AC68U that is still running 27E5, I found that disabled WMM APSD and tweaked DTIM & Beacon interval @2.4 GHz made things so much better

eoT3XF0.png

I'm not convinced that disabling WMM APSD is a good idea when using mobile devices such as phones with VOIP/wifi calling.

Would like some feedback from the user community...

Based on some feedback, I am considering making a separate code release to support the new rev AC68's and it's brothers and returning the returning the base fork to what it was originally. Fix and function content would remain the same for both. This would do a couple of things....
Yes, go for it. (rev. A1 user)

I'm not convinced that disabling WMM APSD is a good idea when using mobile devices such as phones with VOIP/wifi calling.

I use none of those so it's not a problem for my case. I saw big difference with WMM APSD disable. Data usage per day up to about 45-50GB/day compared to just 25-30GB before the change

Im getting there...[emoji848] but Need a little help!!!

Just tried the ASUS firmware Restoration tool and are NOW back on an old org. Asus firmware.. 378.9529 and tried flashing Fork 14E1 uploaded fine on my RT-N66U and power’d it OFF and on again but it is still on Asus FW 3.0.0.4.378_9529

Important : N66U Can Update As normal without factory reset when Your not! Above asus fw 380.3000

Im on 378.9529

What im i doing wrong [emoji849]

Last edited:
We, mentioned it numerous times already. Just use the restoration tool to FLASH JOHNS BUILD. :p

@SuperFly74
The N66U has a very slow flash memory. It takes about 40 minutes for the update to complete in recovery mode. Be patient.

Tried but it faild on 1o% with Asus tool went fine with the org. Firmware ..
And i normaly use the web browser to upload/Update the Fork so why does that NOT work anymore [emoji780]
When i Got my router a Year ago i just flashed Fork why cant i dont do that now.

From here....
1c123cc021156ba8f0fc7169f17061fc.jpg

Edit : NOW on Fork 14E1 [emoji33]

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!