Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V28E2)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by john9527, Aug 14, 2014.

1. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

2. InkyRag

InkyRag Occasional Visitor

Thanks John. This fixed the domain name problem for me.

3. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

23E4, loaded up and so far uneventful (which is great).

I made a backup using your utility. Performed a nvram erase, and upon reboot Switch Control was set to CTF Level 1 and Tools tab reflected CTF. So, looks great!

Restored using your utility and am back up and running!

Thanks as always.

4. tyspeed42

tyspeed42 Regular Contributor

Updated to 24B6 on AC68W, AC68U nothing to report but its working great. Thanks John.

5. 000111

000111 Senior Member

Howdy all been an long time since I rapped at ya. Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the vpn clients on their n66u with firmware 23E4 (I also had this issue with 23E3)?

I have tried the openvpn client (which used to work, not my first rodeo) and to simplify things, the pptp vpn client and cannot get a connection up with either. Per usual, probably my issue but thought I would check in with the community.

6. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

Different model (RT-AC68P), but no issues connecting to Private Internet Access as a client. Just be aware that OpenVPN has been updated to 2.4.0, and that brought a handful of new options/hardening with it. So you might need to adjust your settings somewhat. Or , paste out your openvpn connection log so someone can help point out the issue.

7. 000111

000111 Senior Member

Probably better to confirm the pptp client is working for others as it is so much simpler to configure... You have no issues connecting the pptp client? I know this seems obvious- but I am confirming the connection by my ip address and it isn't changing. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. zonnebril

zonnebril Occasional Visitor

Thanks @john9527 for the update. Back to home.lan! :)
    B.t.w. John, is it a new feature that the router shows the "manually reboot" message after firmware update? I have been seeing this in the latest firmwares only. Just curious :)

9. Builder71

Builder71 Senior Member

Update to 23E4. Thx John.
    Got the same message like zonnebril.

Attached Files:

10. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Not a new feature....but a fact of life.....
    I think it depends on the router being able to grab enough memory to be able to restart everything. I hit it on about 1 out of every 15 updates.

11. john9527

@000111 - Whose pptp server are you trying to connect to (commercial, work, private)? Haven't changed anything on the pptp client forever, since it's basically been deprecated.

cybrnook likes this.
  12. 000111

000111 Senior Member

Got it sorted- thanks John.

13. john9527

Glad to hear you figured it out.
    I did a little playing, and was able to connect to PIA via pptp client...but found that the auto-negotiation for encryption wasn't working too well, and I had to force the right level via nvram, (exposing this to the gui was in a later level that I hadn't backported.....it is backported now :) )

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    000111 and cybrnook like this.
  14. shauno100

shauno100 Occasional Visitor

Hi John,

I am a first time user of your firmware and jumped the gun and flashed BETA RELEASE: Update-24B6 on my RT-AC68U. All is working well. I just noticed however that with my Stealthmode scripts i have used with Merlin's firmware without issues when the stealthmode is turned on from my cron job all the LEDS switch off initially but then the USB2 LED turns back on.

I am using the scripts from https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Scheduled-LED-control

Is this a bug or is it expected behaviour? I just noticed in your release notes for the latest Beta that you made some changes and mentioned it could affect anything from USB attached devices to WAN connections. Could this be causing the USB2 to turn back on?

Thanks in advance

Shaun

15. john9527

No, I wouldn't have expected any problems. I just double checked the led commands from the command line on my AC68P and they worked fine.

So, two questions.....
    - Did you do a factory reset after loading this fork?
    - What is the rev level of your AC68U? (only rev A1, A2 and B1 are supported....C1 and E1 are not)

16. shauno100

shauno100 Occasional Visitor

Hi John,

The router is an A2 revision. I didn't actually do a factory reset which i should have so will do that tonight when i get home and let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the reply

Shaun

17. atkinsom

atkinsom Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Running your latest released fork and using openvpn server on the router. I noticed something come up in the client logs on my PC when I connect that I'm not sure if it's something I should worry about. Should I add the auth-nocache line to the openvpn config file or just ignore the warning? thanks

"WARNING: this configuration may cache passwords in memory -- use the auth-nocache option to prevent this"

18. 000111

000111 Senior Member

You are a scholar and a saint, my man.

19. krick

krick Occasional Visitor

I've never used OpenVPN before. Is there a guide somewhere that can help me set it up on this fork and figure out how to use it effectively?

20. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

Add:

auth-nocache

to the additional options section at the bottom of the OpenVPN client config page.

atkinsom likes this.