What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks for the advice.
I have ben running mine at 500mW for 2 years now with no problem. Maximum speed and reliability.

Please @john9527 can you answer @p71 question?

"I used to (~2 years ago) install the Merlin fork version on my AC66 router and changed the output power of it (to 500mW on 5G if I remember correctly). Is it still possible with latest fork release? If yes, what Telnet commands are necessary for the trick?"

thanks
No, I don’t think so.
Your is 'max'd' out, but consistent....I cap things at 200mw (250% of 80mw)

hope i remembered right(Capital T, Capital P for AC66u)
Not sure it will accept this while your country code is still on the standard setting.

Code:
nvram set wl_TxPower=500
nvram set wl0_TxPower=500
nvram set wl1_TxPower=500
nvram commit

I used to (~2 years ago) install the Merlin fork version on my AC66 router and changed the output power of it (to 500mW on 5G if I remember correctly). Is it still possible with latest fork release? If yes, what Telnet commands are necessary for the trick?

Reactions: p71
Hi John,
I've been using your fork on an N66U for a long time and upgraded time after time without issue. I've missed about 6 months of upgrades and decided to fix that and updated to 28E2. The router and wi-fi seem to work fine but what doesn't is the samba shares from the USB memory plugged in.

Until now the samba share system offered to share all folders inside /mnt/Home/ and most of the folders in there it still does but not one called asusware which contains my home Intranet (Cherokee) which means I can't update what is in there any longer.

Any ideas why that folder is no longer offered for sharing but the others still are?

Thanks.

Bob.

@mightyoakbob Files and folders in the root of a USB drive called ".__*.txt*", "asusware*" and "asus_lighttpdpasswd" are specifically hidden when Samba allows guest logins.

I'm not sure why it had previously worked for you unless you weren't using guest logins.

Last edited:
Hi

I've got ipv6 enabled running the latest version of Fork on my AC68U. I am getting the following in the log every second. Cannot find any other info on the net about it. Any idea what it means and I assume not normal. I've also got Log DHCP entries enabled, hence why I am seeing it.

Oct 24 15:31:05 dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT
Oct 24 15:31:06 dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT
Oct 24 15:31:07 dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT

Thanks

Martin

Any ideas why that folder is no longer offered for sharing but the others still are?
asusware is actually a reserved name in the firmware (used by the cloud apps and to install other apps). With the upgrade to samba 3.6, it was added to the 'veto files' for each share in smb.conf to make sure it was protected. I'd recommend you use an smb.postconf script to temporarily 'unhide' it, then rename it to something else, and then remove the postconf script. Let us know if you help with the script.

Hi

I've got ipv6 enabled running the latest version of Fork on my AC68U. I am getting the following in the log every second. Cannot find any other info on the net about it. Any idea what it means and I assume not normal. I've also got Log DHCP entries enabled, hence why I am seeing it.

Oct 24 15:31:07 dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT

Thanks

Martin
Are you sure your ISP supports IPv6 or you have it configured correctly? The router is having trouble pulling an IPv6 address.

Are you sure your ISP supports IPv6 or you have it configured correctly? The router is having trouble pulling an IPv6 address.

Yep, ISP (BT) offers Native support.

Another strange thing is that it would appear dhcpv6 does not start when the router is rebooted, but is almost 20 mins later;

Oct 24 15:23:59 (none) daemon.err rdnssd[838]: Child process hung up unexpectedly, aborting

Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) daemon.emerg rdnssd[921]: Get IPv6 address & DNS from DHCPv6
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) kern.notice rc_service: rc 1064:notify_rc start_dhcp6c
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) kern.notice dhcp6c: start dhcp6c (0)
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) kern.notice dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) kern.notice rc_service: dhcp6c-state 1067:notify_rc start_radvd
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) kern.notice dhcp6s: start dhcp6s (0)
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) daemon.info radvd[1068]: version 1.15 started
Oct 24 15:45:40 (none) daemon.warn radvd[1068]: no auto-selected prefix on interface br0, disabling advertisements
Oct 24 15:45:41 (none) kern.notice dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT
Oct 24 15:45:42 (none) kern.notice dhcp6c: dhcp6c state change detected SOLICIT

I have done a factory reset of router also.

Confused! :)

Well I have now set that option but it has made no difference. Not sure what else I can do now. Appreciate your help though.
For some reason, BT just isn't responding to the SOLICIT....because of that, there is nothing for radvd (router advertisement) to advertise, so it can't do anything.

Maybe there is another BT user that can help out.

asusware is actually a reserved name in the firmware (used by the cloud apps and to install other apps). With the upgrade to samba 3.6, it was added to the 'veto files' for each share in smb.conf to make sure it was protected. I'd recommend you use an smb.postconf script to temporarily 'unhide' it, then rename it to something else, and then remove the postconf script. Let us know if you help with the script.

I've just used WinSCP to create another folder called "Web_Server" and I've copied everything in asusware into it. But I then realised that that will not be enough, I've somehow got to change all the references inside the folder to suite and maybe some in the router itself. Oh dear, I suspect that is the end of my Intranet then or I have to go back to older software. All the hours of work I've put into that gone! Is there no way to stop this, I don't share across the internet only my home network. Incidentally, I didn't pick the name asusware the "procedure" created that.

Thanks.

Bob.

@mightyoakbob Files and folders in the root of a USB drive called ".__*.txt*", "asusware*" and "asus_lighttpdpasswd" are specifically hidden when Samba allows guest logins.

I'm not sure why it had previously worked for you unless you weren't using guest logins.

Would you please explain what you mean by guest logins in this context, it doesn't mean anything to me. For the connection that worked for about 3 years I logged in with samba using the router's admin username and password. Is that a guest login?
Sorry I just don't understand.

Bob.

Would you please explain what you mean by guest logins in this context, it doesn't mean anything to me. For the connection that worked for about 3 years I logged in with samba using the router's admin username and password. Is that a guest login?
Sorry for the confusion. From what John said it seems like your problem is due to a change in the recent Samba implementation and nothing to do with guest access.

Just FYI, I was referring to the following option which allows users to access shares without specifying a username and password.

Untitled.png

Incidentally, I didn't pick the name asusware the "procedure" created that.
Not the first time apps will have stepped on one another.......

This script will back out the change, but to be honest, I'm not sure if there was a specific reason they added it. But my guess is as I said, just to 'protect' it from inadvertent changes when it was being used by the router.

Make a script (linux format, make executable, etc)
/jffs/scripts/smb.postconf
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "veto files = /.__*.txt*/asusware*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/" "veto files = /.__*.txt*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/" $CONFIG

Sorry for the confusion. From what John said it seems like your problem is due to a change in the recent Samba implementation and nothing to do with guest access.

Just FYI, I was referring to the following option which allows users to access shares without specifying a username and password.

Thank you, I understand now.
Bob.

Not the first time apps will have stepped on one another.......

This script will back out the change, but to be honest, I'm not sure if there was a specific reason they added it. But my guess is as I said, just to 'protect' it from inadvertent changes when it was being used by the router.

Make a script (linux format, make executable, etc)
/jffs/scripts/smb.postconf
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "veto files = /.__*.txt*/asusware*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/" "veto files = /.__*.txt*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/" $CONFIG

Thanks for that, I've had a go and re-booted but no joy, the folder still doesn't appear so I can't share it.

I'm far from an expert but linux format means lines end with hex 0A 10 and no 0D 13 is that correct? If so I did that.
Make executable using properties in WinSCP I ticked all the boxes including all 3 Xs got 0777 and certainly the same as post-mount which works. Oh, but now I notice they use a - in the middle not a . it couldn't be that daft could it? Tried smb-postconf and re-booted still no asusware folder to share.

Help.

Bob.

@mightyoakbob If you're using WinSCP just have a look at /etc/smb.conf. Look near the end and see if you have any lines that begin "veto files =".

@john9527 I only get the "veto files" line in my smb.conf if guest login is enabled otherwise there's no such entry.

EDIT: @john9527 Is it not being obscured by "check_skip_folder_name" in release/src/router/lighttpd-1.4.39/src/smb_auth.c

Last edited:
@mightyoakbob If you're using WinSCP just have a look at /etc/smb.conf. Look near the end and see if you have any lines that begin "veto files =".

@john9527 I only get the "veto files" line in my smb.conf if guest login is enabled otherwise there's no such entry.

EDIT: @john9527 Is it not being obscured by "check_skip_folder_name" in release/src/router/lighttpd-1.4.39/src/smb_auth.c

Hi Colin thanks for the help.

That file does not contain the word veto at all and the word files only once as in
enable core files = no.
Am I looking at the right file because mine is dated 2011?
/etc/smb.conf ?

Bob.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!