What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bug report: 27E5j9527 for AC68U

Installed on an AC68U (CFE 1.0.2.0) and AC68P (CFE 1.0.2.5), both in AP mode, clean flash.

When Stealth Mode is selected, the power/online/status lights are indeed blanked. However, the port lights do light up and blink with network activity. This is evident on both units.

Thanks for all you're doing for us John.

Bug report: 27E5j9527 for AC68U

Installed on an AC68U (CFE 1.0.2.0) and AC68P (CFE 1.0.2.5), both in AP mode, clean flash.

When Stealth Mode is selected, the power/online/status lights are indeed blanked. However, the port lights do light up and blink with network activity. This is evident on both units.

Thanks for all you're doing for us John.
Check 7 and 8 posts up :)

Check 7 and 8 posts up :)
Thank you John, sorry I didn't go further back. As the prior poster stated - no biggie. One of these APs is in our bedroom and I have it blacked out. You can imagine the ensuing conversation now!

edit: I can get wl_txpower to stay @ 120, wl0/wl1 will not.
txpower isn't used on the N66 (or any of the MIPS based routers, it's for the new drivers in the ARM builds)

TxPower is the one you want to look at (note the difference in case)

But, I do agree it's an unnecessary confusion factor. I'll remove it from the MIPS routers following a factory reset in the next release. You can also just remove it in the meantime....

nvram unset wl_txpower
nvram unset wl0_txpower
nvram unset wl1_txpower
nvram commit

txpower isn't used on the N66 (or any of the MIPS based routers, it's for the new drivers in the ARM builds)

But, I do agree it's an unnecessary confusion factor. I'll remove it from the MIPS routers following a factory reset in the next release. You can also just remove it in the meantime....

nvram unset wl_txpower
nvram unset wl0_txpower
nvram unset wl1_txpower
nvram commit

ah, thank you! I think I got it?

admin@RT-N66R-E740:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep TxPower
wl_TxPower=120
wl0_TxPower=120
size: 40929 bytes (24607 left)

Hi! Some time ago I installed DDWRT in my N16. I'm having some performance issues and I'd like to back to Merlin firmware since it's always been more stable.

Thing is, I can't for the life of me find the Firmware Restoration Utility. Asus' website seems to indicate that it should be inside a ZIP file, but all I get is the .trx file.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Go for it! Worst case is you have to flash from recovery server. Second to worse case it the gui just yells at you and tells you it's a wrong image.

Absolutely NVRAM reset after flashing.

Please scratch my curiosity ... what is the purpose of the "wl_" settings in nvram? What do they apply to? I understand "wl0_" and "wl1_", but are "wl_" common settings that apply to both radios? Sometimes all 3 appear, with the same value. Thanks!

Code:
# nvram show | grep corerev
wl1_corerev=42
wl_corerev=42
wl0_corerev=42

Edit: Interesting, maybe "wl_" is an alias for "wl0_"?

Code:
# nvram show | grep chanspec
wl_chanspec=6
wl0_chanspec=6
wl1_chanspec=149/80

Last edited:
Please scratch my curiosity ... what is the purpose of the "wl_" settings in nvram?
They are used by the webui. It act as a bridge between the webui and whichever radio you are accessing in the gui. If you are working on the 2.4GHz radio, it takes on the value of wl0_, 5GHz takes on wl1_

That way you can have common code for all radios.

Thanks.

Another question: what's best practice these days, to use the same SSID for both radios and let the clients decide which to connect to or separate for more control? I've been using different SSIDs for many years, but perhaps there are advantages to using the same one.

Thanks.

Another question: what's best practice these days, to use the same SSID for both radios and let the clients decide which to connect to or separate for more control? I've been using different SSIDs for many years, but perhaps there are advantages to using the same one.
The only advantage to using the same SSID is simplicity. I found that in practice, most of my devices chose the stronger signal which was always 2.4, even when the link was really slow and 5 was fine. So I separated them to keep the 5 active all the time.

nvram unset wl_txpower
nvram unset wl0_txpower
nvram unset wl1_txpower
nvram commit

Ehhh John, what have you been smokin'? :D

Please no factory reset.
And why not leave it in?
Been there for ages and doesn't do any harm.
(Keep variables close to stock firmware. You never know.)

Ehhh John, what have you been smokin'? :D

Please no factory reset.
And why not leave it in?
Been there for ages and doesn't do any harm.
(Keep variables close to stock firmware. You never know.)
Removing the txpower (lowercase) on MIPS which is only used on the new SDK for ARM. Not the good, old, standard TxPower that has been there forever. Haven't gone off the deep end (yet :) )

Last edited:
Removing the txpower (lowercase) on MIPS which is only used on the new SDK for ARM. Not the good, old, standard TxPower that has been there forever. Haven't gone off the deep end (yet :) )

OK :)

And what about the factory reset? :eek:
Is that needed for the next release?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!