What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I've run out of ideas. Maybe @john9527 can suggest something.

Perhaps you could load a very old version of Johns firmware to see if it's always had this problem. If that works OK then try stepping through intermediate versions to identify when the problem first occurs. That would narrow down the search for a potential bug considerably.

Well I've run out of ideas. Maybe @john9527 can suggest something.

Perhaps you could load a very old version of Johns firmware to see if it's always had this problem. If that works OK then try stepping through intermediate versions to identify when the problem first occurs. That would narrow down the search for a potential bug considerably.
Thanks. Will try this. However I fight with problem for more than a year. And used almost every John's firmware during this time, hoping it will be fixed :)

Actually I was almost sure that N66U doesn't support gigabit NAT till I installed latest Merlin's firmware.

Do you have IPv6 enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Other than that, no other ideas. It's possible that your ISP is doing something that is incompatible with the version of CTF used in the fork, that was changed in later code. (The prebuilt CTF module for MIPS in the fork is 372K in size, in the latest Merlin it's 31K. Not sure what changed, or if they just disabled debug/symbols that accounts for the size change.)

Do you have IPv6 enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Other than that, no other ideas. It's possible that your ISP is doing something that is incompatible with the version of CTF used in the fork, that was changed in later code. (The prebuilt CTF module for MIPS in the fork is 372K in size, in the latest Merlin it's 31K. Not sure what changed, or if they just disabled debug/symbols that accounts for the size change.)

Strip it, you'll see :)

One change that I'm aware of in newer releases is support for PPTP/PPPoE acceleration.

One thing to keep in mind: CTF won't accelerate traffic that is marked. Port forwarded traffic for instance will not be accelerated.

Asus did release a fix for KRACK.
Did not check other devices .. just RT-AC-68U.

2017/11/10 40.6 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hopefully it can be merged into 28E2 ?

Sounds more like a v29 :)

Anyway let's see if the fix is a closed binary or something John can use separately.

2017/11/10 40.6 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Security fixed
- Fixed KRACK vulnerability
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hopefully it can be merged into 28E2 ?

I doubt that John needs to be reminded every time Asus releases a new patch. I'm sure he's well aware of it, especially as there are always multiple reports of it all over these forums.:rolleyes:

@john9527 Does your firmware include usb HID support? Trying to run apcupsd. APC ups's show up as usb1.x HID devices.
It doesn't include all the necessary HID modules, same as Merlin, as described in this thread
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/configuring-apcupsd.30419/

Having said that, I just added those missing modules for the AC56/AC68 (I have an APC UPS and was thinking about playing with this as well). The HID support is different for the MIPS based routers and not sure it will be possible there, as I couldn't find the equivalent support in those build files. What router are you using?

Last edited:
Thanks. The user PavelBab (thank you!) emailed me the modules for the current asusmerlin build. I got the unit to recognize the ups properly now. Need to set up entware before apcupsd gets installed. We'll see how well it works out.

Are the modules embedded in the current downloads for your build or available separately?

I have 3 rt's (r7000, ac66u and ac68u). All 3 are used as AP's and smart switches. Upstream of these is a hardware firewall (utm) which handles routing, dhcp, dns, firewall, etc. All but the last one have some form of pc attached which controls ups shutdown. The last one in the chain, the 68u, is only attached to ups which powers several other networking components.

Given how popular and common apc units are, i'm surprised merlin doesn't embed or make the modules available separately. Setting up apcupsd is not difficult at all and it works well.

Sounds good. Testing apcupsd now on merlin's release. Don't forget the "-p" parameter in /tmp/mnt/Entware/entware/etc/init.d/S17apcupsd script. Without it, my BX1500G refused to powerdown after TIMEOUT value had passed. The desired outcome during powerloss event is to stay on battery power for TIMEOUT seconds then shut itself down. After power is resumed, UPS turns back on, along with all the devices plugged into it.

cat S17apcupsd
Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=apcupsd
ARGS="-p"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

probably not related to the fork but i have a script running which signals al the devices which are online(got a ip address from the router)
for some reason 1 device(iphone4s) connects but seem to disconnect after a while
the connection status is still connected but the flags change
other devices like an iphone4, ipad2, ipadair2, iphone6 do not seem to have this problem.

my questions

1: how can i fix this iphone4s so it will stay connected when it goes to sleepmode(probably not possible with a setting)
2: how can i change the script i use so the script will still recognise the iphone4s as being connected

10526-b47b3a53dc14b03ceb2fc819bcc3cb21.jpg

my script

Code:
#!/bin/sh

mac=$1
idx=$2
device_present=Off
domoticz_status=`curl -s "http://192.168.1.50:8084/json.htm?type=devices&rid=$idx" | grep Status | awk '{print $3}' | sed 's/[",]//g'`

# look in 2.4GHz (eth1) network for device
for x in `wl -i eth1 assoclist | awk '{print $2}'`; do
 if [ $x = $mac ]; then
        device_present=On
 fi
done

# look in 5GHz (eth2) network for device
for x in `wl -i eth2 assoclist | awk '{print $2}'`; do
 if [ $x = $mac ]; then
        device_present=On
 fi
done

# tell domoticz the new device status switch
if [ $domoticz_status != $device_present ]; then
 if [ $device_present = "On" ]; then
        curl -s "http://192.168.1.50:8084/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=$idx&switchcmd=On" > /dev/null
 else
        curl -s "http://192.168.1.50:8084/json.htm?type=command&param=switchlight&idx=$idx&switchcmd=Off" > /dev/null
 fi
fi

Attachments

• wifi connected.jpg
    wifi connected.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 936
  • wifi-disconnected.jpg
    wifi-disconnected.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 549
my questions

1: how can i fix this iphone4s so it will stay connected when it goes to sleepmode(probably not possible with a setting)
Would have to be a setting on the iPhone....the status shows that it has indeed disconnected completely.

2: how can i change the script i use so the script will still recognise the iphone4s as being connected
What you are seeing in the wireless log is a remnant where the phone has disconnected, but the arp table entry hasn't yet aged out. It will eventually be removed from the log.
If you want to replicate the logic used to create the wireless log, then try changing the script to do the following:
  • Is the mac in the arp table (cat /proc/net/arp)
  • If in the arp table, check
    • is it authenticated (wl -i ethx authe_sta_list)
    • is it associated (wl -i ethx assoclist)
    • is it authorized (wl -i ethx autho_sta_list) - this is the one I think that generates the wireless log entry with no flags

ok so the problem is in the iphone4s(figured that out already) why i do not know since older devices do not have the problem and newer also not.

the last instruction might be the right one, however if i fix it for the iphone4s , the test might be affected as well (devices are off but probaable show connected.

will see how much delay this gives me
thanks for your help John.
[UPDATE]
tried it and made not difference.
the problem is in the iphone4s so i will see if i can fix it by doing a resore

Would have to be a setting on the iPhone....the status shows that it has indeed disconnected completely.

What you are seeing in the wireless log is a remnant where the phone has disconnected, but the arp table entry hasn't yet aged out. It will eventually be removed from the log.
If you want to replicate the logic used to create the wireless log, then try changing the script to do the following:
  • Is the mac in the arp table (cat /proc/net/arp)
  • If in the arp table, check
    • is it authenticated (wl -i ethx authe_sta_list)
    • is it associated (wl -i ethx assoclist)
    • is it authorized (wl -i ethx autho_sta_list) - this is the one I think that generates the wireless log entry with no flags

Last edited:
I have a USB 3.0 plugged into the 3.0 port on RT-AC68U using Firmware:374.43_28E2j9527, the transfer speed from my PC (connected by LAN to router) to my USB drops from 5MB/s to 0KB/S consistently. I also tried to use another USB with 2.0 port, and seeing the same behavior. Have anyone experienced this?

https://imgur.com/trivNwV
trivNwV

trivNwV

You don't say what your "USB" is but I'm assuming it's a flash drive and not a hard disk.

I have also observed the same thing although not a perfectly regular as your image shows. In my case the fluctuations more or less stabilise after about 30 seconds. The Windows graph is slightly misleading as it smooth's out the data. What is happening is there is a burst of data that fills up the write buffer and then the transfer completely stops while the data is written out. Then there is another burst of data.

I've tried playing around with various options in smb.conf but couldn't find any that made a huge difference.

Also be aware that if you have any other process that is also reading or writing to the USB device then that will also interfere with the file transfers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!