1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V29E2)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by john9527, Aug 14, 2014.

1. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Your temperature is unusually low. Sadly, the temperature range of these routers can go from 40C to 100C, which means if you want to have any accurate graph, you have to restrict the scale, otherwise the 1-2C variations woulnd't be visible.

2. wiz

wiz Regular Contributor

You are right. However, when the time comes that the certs get checked again you will have to put in your password again. I had the "auth-nocache" added and removed it again as you have to put in your password periodically at the most inconvenient times...

3. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

I will have to look into that. I use that option at home because I also did not like the look of the log message, but I have not noticed an issue with my tunnel not being able to renegotiate. Will keep a closer eye on it.....

4. cowst

cowst Regular Contributor

Hi John, I have an issue since 374.43_2-23E3j9527.
    One of m devices (my linux satellite receiver) after a while loses internet connectivity.
    It is actually connected to the router and has the usual local IP, but cannot get out.
    A router reboot solves it.

I sent you a PM with the syslog.

5. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Cool (pun intended :D)

Pretty easy to change it a bit......from a range of 40-90C to 20-100C. And you still keep 1 degree resolution.
    temps.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

I guess in our cases (as I agree with you it's more annoying than anything else), that's all we are really accomplishing with this. Because, if someone has access to the router, there are two much easier ways to get these credentials, one is the "up" file, and two would be a simple nvram dump.

I think you use PIA as well, seen any issue with auth-nocache? I have been using it only over the past few weeks, and so far no issues. But with your recent releases, I have only have a max of about 1 week uptime. So not sure if that's long enough for PIA to strong arm....

7. cowst

cowst Regular Contributor

And I just noticed for the second time that phones (my laptop seemed fine) lose connectivity for a few seconds every couple of minutes.
    Very annoying when playing online.

8. atkinsom

atkinsom Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Just noticed something in the Web Gui under the VPN option. Not sure if this is correct or not. In the VPN status tab it shows the user connected and all the info associated with that connection. However under the VPN Server tab it shows the same user as disconnected. See below for visual. Thanks John

upload_2017-3-29_10-7-14.png

upload_2017-3-29_10-7-49.png

9. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

That'd be normal if you don't use user/password-based authentication but strictly certificate-based authentication.

10. atkinsom

I'm currently using username/password authentication only if that helps with the Auth. only option set to NO..nothing fancy. See below. Thanks very much.

upload_2017-3-29_11-43-17.png

11. punchsuckr

punchsuckr Regular Contributor

I could load it up on my n66u if needed but would only be possible after i get home after a week.

12. john9527

Actually, that's the way I run (cert only) and the client name shows as 'UNDEF' for me.

13. john9527

What happens if you define another username other than 'admin' and connect with that?

14. atkinsom

Hi John,

Same issue occurs whether you use the admin account or an account created manually. VPN works fine it's the visual on that page that is incorrect. Thank you.

15. john9527

Gotta love it when somebody notices a bug that's been there forever (over 2.5 years now) :D
    Will be fixed in the next release...
    vpnuser.JPG

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    tyspeed42, atkinsom and cybrnook like this.
  16. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

Always room for improvement when there's thousands of lines of code.

I commend you for sticking with it @john9527 , this is becoming an increasingly important build for it's stability and cleanliness... Just saying....

tyspeed42 likes this.
  17. atkinsom

Thanks John always willing to make you work ;)

tyspeed42 likes this.
  18. cybrnook

cybrnook Senior Member

@john9527 , you're U.S. based. What DNS Crypt resolvers do you use? I am thinking about setting up DNS Crypt this weekend.

19. zonnebril

zonnebril Occasional Visitor

Hi @john9527, is there a possibility to resize the JFFS partition? With the latest stable firmware installed, if I enable the second OpenVPN server (so both OpenVPN servers are running) and add more than one line of customization in the custom configuration field, the exclamation mark in the top right of the webconsole suddenly notifies me that the NVRAM usage is too high.

NVRAM usage 62467 / 65536 bytes (95% utilized)
    JFFS partition: 0.69 / 13.50 MB

If I have only one line in the custom configuration, the exclamation mark is gone and the NVRAM usage is probably just below the threshold: 62430 / 65536 bytes (95% utilized)

I don't need such a large JFFS partition. Can I give back some of the JFFS space to the system? It is not a problem if the JFFS is completely removed, I can recreate the scripts easily. I tried disabling the JFFS partition, but nothing changed. Or maybe there is another solution?

20. john9527

Here's the settings I use. I throw everything on to make sure it all works :)

Start out withe the Strict DNSSEC enforcement unchecked....then after you have it working you can check it (with that checked, if you inadvertently use a non-DNSSEC enabled server, you'll lose intenet access since all DNS replies will be rejected)
    dnscrypt.JPG

Uncle_Gadget and cybrnook like this.