What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm on the latest Merlin build for my RT-N66U router and I'm having some stability issues. Every 0.5-1GB of transfers the router stutters and communications stops for a few seconds and then resumes. This really affects streaming services like Chromecast or non buffered video streams. It even disrupts regular browsing but less noticeable since it's a few seconds of disruptions. This "stutter" is across the board, WiFi and Ethernet ports, it's just like the router pauses to take a break and then continues like nothing happened. It's been happening for over a month now, I tried clean setups and no difference.

I came across this thread saying that John's Fork is more stable for older routers like the RT-N66U. Then reading further I read that 26E4 is the most stable and it has "older" wifi and ethernet drivers.

@john9527 could you please help clarify this point, what's the difference between the 26E4 and the newer builds and what would you recommend as the most stable build for the RT-N66U (performance is not a concern, jitter, stability and timeliness is the most important feature to consider).

Has anyone else seen this issue with their routers?

Thank you, HP
I'm running an n66u on 28e2 without issue, TV is Ethernet connected and I can run the BBC iPlayer without issue including its uhd test. Luckily I'm on 100/100 meg.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

when i connect through openvpn i see the same.

it does not matter if it is a . or , but was just wondering where the user interface got his settings from

I'm not sure it matters, as the web code has to be written to convert to the the right locale. As far as I know, the only piece of code that contains the right calls is the VPN status counters (added by Merlin and ported to the fork).

If you use a VPN client, do the stats display as you would expect?

Hi john !
First at all, thanks to you for this fork i'm using since a long time now ! (And to Merlin too :) )

I Flashed my AC68U rev. A1 first from V26E4 to V27E5.
I did a complete factory reset and set settings manually to avoid any problem.
My wireless was steady (and better than in V26E4) but most importantly, QoS is now working perfectly !
Before it was wrecking my network (one time it totally froze my AC68, i had to do a factory reset haha).

Found a little bug:
I occasionally use Guest network and when i tried to activate it (on V27E5), the page was empty.
I updated then to V28E2, but i got the same issue.
It was working on V26E4.

Nothing exotic on my config, an Open VPN server, my devices are on fixed IP, QOS activated.

I will be away for a wile so i will not be able to test a solution or give you more feedbacks (sorry :( ) but rest assured that I will tell you if it's as soon as i come back !

Attachments

• Guest Network Broken.jpg
    Guest Network Broken.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 308
I occasionally use Guest network and when i tried to activate it (on V27E5), the page was empty.
Works fine for me....
Sounds like you had set it up in the past and used a special character in either the SSID or passkey....keep it to alpha-numeric, dash and underscore only.

Either factory reset, or if you remember which instance you set up, I can tell you how to clear it out via ssh/telnet.

Works fine for me....
Sounds like you had set it up in the past and used a special character in either the SSID or passkey....keep it to alpha-numeric, dash and underscore only.

Either factory reset, or if you remember which instance you set up, I can tell you how to clear it out via ssh/telnet.

You guessed right, the SSID in V26 was only special characters + spaces in fact !
I desactivated it when my friends left but left the config as it.

Strange that it kept it even with a factory reset to go from V26 to V27.

On V26 it was on 2.4 Ghz with (don't laugh !), as SSID:
=^ . ^=

There is a space before and after the dot.

That would be awesome to have the SSH instructions !
Thanks for your help John !!! :)

Edit: Forgot to tell you that actually the Guest wifi doesn't appear (so it's still off as I left it) if it may be of any help :)

Edit 2:
Thanks to your diagnostic, i did some research and tried to activate the guest by SSH to see if it kept the old SSID with:

nvram set wl0.1_bss_enabled=1
nvram set wl1.1_bss_enabled=1
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

Answer is no, I got "Asus_Guest1" and "Asus_5G_Guest1" but the GUI is still blank.

Last edited:
Strange that it kept it even with a factory reset to go from V26 to V27.
Did you restore a backup? either the built in backup/restore or my NVRAM utility would put it back.
That would be awesome to have the SSH instructions !
ssh to the router, and enter (assuming it was the first 2.4 guest...use wl0.2 or wl0.3 for the other guests). This will wipe out the SSID, passkey, and make sure it's disabled.

nvram unset wl0.1_ssid
nvram unset wl0.1_wpa_psk
nvram unset wl0.1_bss_enabled
nvram commit

then reboot the router. You should then be able to get in to the gui and set it up again.

Did you restore a backup? either the built in backup/restore or my NVRAM utility would put it back.

ssh to the router, and enter (assuming it was the first 2.4 guest...use wl0.2 or wl0.3 for the other guests). This will wipe out the SSID, passkey, and make sure it's disabled.

nvram unset wl0.1_ssid
nvram unset wl0.1_wpa_psk
nvram unset wl0.1_bss_enabled
nvram commit

then reboot the router. You should then be able to get in to the gui and set it up again.

I did a backup with your (great !) utility for my own culture but didn't used it as i wanted to start from scratch to avoid this kind of problem ;)

Thanks ! Doing it right now, more infos in 3 minutes :)

GUI Still blank :(
It was only on the first instance (as far as i can remember) but i will do all of them on both bands to be sure.

Edit: Still blank, damn !

Last edited:
GUI Still blank :(
It was only on the first instance (as far as i can remember) but i will do all of them on both bands to be sure.

Edit: Still blank, damn !
Hmm....
you can check all the ssid's with

nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep ssid

Otherwise open the browser console with F12 and see what error it is posting.

Hmm....
you can check all the ssid's with

nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep ssid

Otherwise open the browser console with F12 and see what error it is posting.

We can exclude the SSID:

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep ssid
size: 51365 bytes (14171 left)
wl0.2_ssid=Freebox-XXXXXXX_Guest2
wl1.2_ssid=Freebox-XXXXXXX_Guest2
wl0.3_ssid=Freebox-XXXXXXX_Guest3
wl0.1_ssid=Freebox-XXXXXXX_Guest1
wl1.3_ssid=Freebox-XXXXXXX_Guest3
wl1.1_ssid=Freebox-XXXXXXX_Guest1

I attached the console error and the detail :)

Guest_network.asp:133 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier

htmlcode += '<tr><th align="left" style="width:20%;height:28px;">Régler le point d'accès sur Isolé</th></tr>';

and

Uncaught ReferenceError: initial is not defined
at onload (VM4118 router.asp:296)

(function(event){initial();
})

Attachments

• Console.jpg
    Console.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Guest_Network_Line133.jpg
    Guest_Network_Line133.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 551
  • VM4118 router.jpg
    VM4118 router.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Guest_network.asp:133 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier

htmlcode += '<tr><th align="left" style="width:20%;height:28px;">Régler le point d'accès sur Isolé</th></tr>';
Ahhh....it's the accented characters in the description in French that's breaking it (AP Isolation for guest networks was added in V27). I'll do a fix for the next release.
In the meantime, the only workaround is to switch to English if you need to change the Guest network setting.

Ahhh....it's the accented characters in the description in French that's breaking it (AP Isolation for guest networks was added in V27). I'll do a fix for the next release.
In the meantime, the only workaround is to switch to English if you need to change the Guest network setting.

Haha I put it in english ... And it's working :D
That's why it was broken since V27 for me and was working for you !
Problem solved !

Thanks a lot for your help John !!
Time to go to bed, it's 5.50AM here ;)
Have a good night !!!

Did that string come from my repo? I know I had to fix a few unescaped quotes in French translations in the past, but usually Asus would eventually fix it on their end as well. I wasn't aware of any of them being left. Unless my web code is using "" instead of '', which might avoid the issue.

If it needs a wifi binary update (as it makes sense), it might be the end of this fork if it's all bundled together with the old wifi drivers we love :(
Why update if you do not love the new drivers with the WPA2 fix? Stay with your (less) good old love! :D

If it needs a wifi binary update (as it makes sense), it might be the end of this fork if it's all bundled together with the old wifi drivers we love :(
oh shirt. Now i cannot sleep anymore... :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!