What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Update-29E2 is now available!

Thanks for the update ... Now its time to change my media bridge too. ;)

Still using my own compiled 378.56_2 build on rt-ac68u and CFE is 1.0.2.0

Sorry, but I need to ask .. can I switch to 29E2 without intermediate firmware in between ?
If I would like to go back to my 378.56 build .. also without intermediate firmware ?

Thanks for all your work !

updated my N66 to 29e2, works like it should. Thanks John!

Hi John,

Perhaps I'm not reading your upgrade matrix file correctly, but I don't see the specific rec procedure for someone on v28L who wants to go to v29E.

I'm guessing it would be the same as the v26L to v28E+ line, which recommends the factory reset? Though I recall some folks posting here earlier that they did fine without the reset?

Sorry, but I need to ask .. can I switch to 29E2 without intermediate firmware in between ?
Yes, since you are on a 378 base, you should be able to load directly via the gui. Follow up with a factory reset.
If I would like to go back to my 378.56 build .. also without intermediate firmware ?
Again, since it's 378, you should be able to load it directly via the gui. Again, follow up with a factory reset.

Hi John,

Perhaps I'm not reading your upgrade matrix file correctly, but I don't see the specific rec procedure for someone on v28L who wants to go to v29E.

I'm guessing it would be the same as the v26L to v28E+ line, which recommends the factory reset? Though I recall some folks posting here earlier that they did fine without the reset?
Moving from the 'L' (or V26 or earlier) I'd consider the factory reset 'optional'.....only if you have problems. I did some tests with and without the factory reset, and didn't see any difference on my clients. But it may be client dependent.

On thing though....make sure you do a JFFS backup prior to the change. There is a partitioning change, and sometimes JFFS will need a reformat after the update (same if moving from 'E' to 'L' builds).

Because they combined the DNS settings on a page with multiple other settings that require a wan restart (and it's a pain in their pages to determine what values may have changed when there are many to check). So changing the DNS actually restarts the WAN interface.

Thank you . I thought it was a bug at the beginning but now that makes sense

——-

I missed a lot lately on this thread [emoji28]. What is the difference between E and L

For those of you with early rev (A1,A2,B1) AC68U's who wish to remain with the earlier wireless drivers, I've included a build directory that continues to be based on the earlier drivers/SDK, Update-29L (Legacy 'L' Build). IMPORTANT: The legacy builds do NOT include the KRACK fix for any supported router since part of the fix requires new wireless drivers.
Lit my clarify one moment: if I have an A1 revision router I only must update to the "L" releases but I still will be vulnerable to the KRACK even if I use my router in "Wireless router mode" mode? Or, like it says in the .txt: "Routers running in Repeater or Media Bridge mode are exposed to the KRACK exploit" and I don't need to choose those both?
Screen%20Shot%202017-12-11%20at%2001.39.24.png

Lit my clarify one moment: if I have an A1 revision router I only must update to the "L" releases but I still will be vulnerable to the KRACK even if I use my router in "Wireless router mode" mode? Or, like it says in the .txt: "Routers running in Repeater or Media Bridge mode are exposed to the KRACK exploit" and I don't need to choose those both?
The RT-AC68U/A1 is not exposed to KRACK in "router" mode. The RT-AC68U/A1 can use "E" or "L" builds, you choose.

@Markmaster
What @ColinTaylor said :)

KRACK affects clients....so the router needs the fix if it's acting like a client, that is as a Repeater or Media Bridge. If you are using the router as a Repeater or Media Bridge, only the 'E' builds contain the KRACK fix.

EDIT: The big exposure now is Android based clients (Windows and IOS have been long fixed). I'm still wondering what I'm going to do with my off-brand cheap 'travel' tablet, which is unlikely to ever see a fix.

Many thanks to @ColinTaylor and @john9527 for a fast response. If I understand clear, the "L" builds contains old Wi-Fi drivers and other old stuff, and "E" builds have all the new stuff and fully compatible with A1 revision?
I noticed that if I flash "L" build Wi-Fi speed gained back to my normal numbers, so I try the "E" build and will try the completely reset option to check that Wi-Fi issue I noticed in my environment.

Quick question:

I have an AC66U (MIPS) router. Since the Wireless driver was just updated do I need to factory reset my router or a normal update will suffice?

Hello,
I've installed V29E2 version on n66u and since then WAN connection slow down. Normally it should be about 340 mbps/downstream and after updating firmware its only 220 mbps. HW acceleration enabled, my provider use PPPoE, i made a factory reset to defaults. After changing firmware to latest Merlin 380.68_4 i've got full speed.
Before V29E2 verion i was using 374.43_2-07j9527 Merlin fork.
I've found another similar thread and it looks like the problem exist from some time: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n66u-not-capable-of-300mpbs.41287/

Last edited:
Hello,
I've installed V29E2 version on n66u and since then WAN connection slow down. Normally it should be about 340 mbps/downstream and after updating firmware its only 220 mbps. HW acceleration enabled, my provider use PPPoE, i made a factory reset to defaults. After changing firmware to latest Merlin 380.68_4 i've got full speed.
Before V29E2 verion i was using 374.43_2-07j9527 Merlin fork.
I've found another similar thread and it looks like the problem exist from some time: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n66u-not-capable-of-300mpbs.41287/
Subsequent to that thread, I had made a change in V28E8 that updated MIPS CTF to the same version used in 380.68. This allowed another user to achieve Gb speeds on the N66 with his ISP. I really don't have an answer why your ISP likes the earlier CTF version better, but I might not be able to make everyone happy on this one.

Quick question:

I have an AC66U (MIPS) router. Since the Wireless driver was just updated do I need to factory reset my router or a normal update will suffice?
Theoretically you should do a factory reset, but so far it seems that everyone is running fine without doing it. I'd give it a try without, and do the reset only if you have any problems.

Subsequent to that thread, I had made a change in V28E8 that updated MIPS CTF to the same version used in 380.68. This allowed another user to achieve Gb speeds on the N66 with his ISP. I really don't have an answer why your ISP likes the earlier CTF version better, but I might not be able to make everyone happy on this one.
Did i misunderstood that you are now using the same MIPS CTF version which is used in Merlin 380.68_4 version? Because on this Merlin firmware version i've got no problem with downstream speed

Last edited:

Over time, different CTF versions provided different results depending on whether your ISP used PPPoE (PPP acceleration was added at a later time) or IPv6 (there were some releases where it was broken). Some kernel changes were also tied to CTF.

I don't know which of these setups work properly with the CTF build in 380.68.

john9527, thanks for all your hard work.

I have been having my WiFi on ac66u reset on the router a few times a day since upgrading to 29Ax. I am currently running 29A9 and nothing shows up in the system log to post, but I will notice various WiFi devices show they are disconnected, when I search for available WiFi networks, my AC66u does not show up. After about a minute it shows up in the list and I can connect to it. When I log into the router and check log it shows it never disconnected or rebooted and my hardwired devices are fine. I am only using 2.4ghz radio and have 5ghz disabled.

I did NOT do a hard reset after upgrading. Any way I can provide more details to help diagnose the issue?

Thank you.

john9527, thanks for all your hard work.

I have been having my WiFi on ac66u reset on the router a few times a day since upgrading to 29Ax. I am currently running 29A9 and nothing shows up in the system log to post, but I will notice various WiFi devices show they are disconnected, when I search for available WiFi networks, my AC66u does not show up. After about a minute it shows up in the list and I can connect to it. When I log into the router and check log it shows it never disconnected or rebooted and my hardwired devices are fine. I am only using 2.4ghz radio and have 5ghz disabled.

I did NOT do a hard reset after upgrading. Any way I can provide more details to help diagnose the issue?

Thank you.
First thing to try is a factory reset and reconfigure....but....your post sounds a lot like several recent posts on the the mainline Merlin 380 builds. I'm starting to think there is something in the recent wireless drivers that I inherited along with the KRACK fix. Another thing you could try is the 'L' builds if you are not using the router as a repeater or media bridge (and therefore don't need the KRACK fix).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!