What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ah, I see. I agree wholeheartedly!

My open guest WiFi networks do not seem to broadcast. I upgraded from 26E3 to 29L2 hoping that would help, but neither my 2.4GHz or 5GHz show their SSID (GuestWiFi). Adding some addition details of the config, in case that helps:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sat Dec 9 21:49:46 UTC 2017
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep ssid
size: 45744 bytes (19792 left)
wl0.2_ssid=ASUS_Guest2
wl1.2_ssid=ASUS_5G_Guest2
wl0.3_ssid=ASUS_Guest3
wl0.1_ssid=GuestWiFi
wl1.3_ssid=ASUS_5G_Guest3
wl1.1_ssid=GuestWiFi

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep enabled
wl0.3_bss_enabled=0
wl1.1_bss_enabled=1
wl1.2_bss_enabled=0
wl1.3_bss_enabled=0
wl0.1_bss_enabled=1
wl0.2_bss_enabled=0
Is this a known problem? The AC68U is being used in the "Wireless Router" mode. The main WPA2-AES have been working fine.

My open guest WiFi networks do not seem to broadcast. I upgraded from 26E3 to 29L2 hoping that would help, but neither my 2.4GHz or 5GHz show their SSID (GuestWiFi). Adding some addition details of the config, in case that helps:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sat Dec 9 21:49:46 UTC 2017
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep ssid
wl0.2_ssid=ASUS_Guest2
wl1.2_ssid=ASUS_5G_Guest2
wl0.3_ssid=ASUS_Guest3
wl0.1_ssid=GuestWiFi
wl1.3_ssid=ASUS_5G_Guest3
wl1.1_ssid=GuestWiFi

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep -E "wl[0-1]\." | grep enabled
wl0.3_bss_enabled=0
wl1.1_bss_enabled=1
wl1.2_bss_enabled=0
wl1.3_bss_enabled=0
wl0.1_bss_enabled=1
wl0.2_bss_enabled=0
Is this a known problem? The AC68U is being used in the "Wireless Router" mode. The main WPA2-AES have been working fine.
I have both AC68U and R. None of them has problem with either 2.4 or 5GHz guest networks

@onix Are you sure they're not broadcasting and it's not just that they're hidden?

Hello Colin,

I’m not sure since I don’t see the option to broadcast for the guest SSID’s, but my main networks are visible. I’ve also tried to add the ‘GuestWiFi’ SSID manually, but my clients do not register.

Attachments

• 791B8ED3-E39C-455B-A636-1521BF0DAD2C.jpeg
    791B8ED3-E39C-455B-A636-1521BF0DAD2C.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 482
I’m not sure since I don’t see the option to broadcast for the guest SSID’s, but my main networks are visible.
I see that you have the Guest networks as 'Open'. I seem to remember that there was a limitation in the Broadcom drivers that prevented mixing Open networks with secure networks. Try setting the guest networks to the same security as the primary network (you can use a different passkey, something like 00000000 - eight characters min).

I see that you have the Guest networks as 'Open'. I seem to remember that there was a limitation in the Broadcom drivers that prevented mixing Open networks with secure networks. Try setting the guest networks to the same security as the primary network (you can use a different passkey, something like 00000000 - eight characters min).

Unfortunately, that did not work.

telnet/ssh to the router and enter

dnscrypt-update-resolvers.sh

Like magic :D
Hey John, I'm sorry to drag up an old post but I was looking to update the resolver list on my AC66U and am having some issues. When I tried running the shell script you mentioned above it fails:
bHyS48h.png

I can access dnscrypt.org (it redirects to dnsprivacy.org/wiki) but download.dnscrypt.org appears to be DOA. I verified it wasn't my DNS setup by doing an nslookup on it using quad9 (9.9.9.9 ).

I can access dnscrypt.org (it redirects to dnsprivacy.org/wiki) but download.dnscrypt.org appears to be DOA. I verified it wasn't my DNS setup by doing an nslookup on it using quad9 (9.9.9.9 ).
The original dnscrypt author 'went out of business' and took down his repos as of 6 December. At least for now, it's been picked up by another user, and the download location has changed.

You must be a mind reader, as I just updated things this AM. Will be in the next release.

The original dnscrypt author 'went out of business' and took down his repos as of 6 December. At least for now, it's been picked up by another user, and the download location has changed.

You must be a mind reader, as I just updated things this AM. Will be in the next release.
Interesting, I'm sorry to here that. Hopefully he is doing okay.

:D haha that is funny though. Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, that did not work.
This might sound heavy handed, but when was the last time you did a factory reset of your settings? This sounds similar to something I have experienced with my guest network after falling a ways behind on my router's firmware version and upgrading to the (then) latest version. If I remember right the factory reset and then manual reapplying of settings straightened everything out.

This might sound heavy handed, but when was the last time you did a factory reset of your settings? This sounds similar to something I have experienced with my guest network after falling a ways behind on my router's firmware version and upgrading to the (then) latest version. If I remember right the factory reset and then manual reapplying of settings straightened everything out.

OK, yeah, a bit of a harsh solution that I was trying to avoid. I'll try to save my configuration file, factory-reset, and then upload the config file. It'll be a pain to set up my static DNS, reregister some devices like SONOS audio players, etc. I'd really like to know what NVRAM settings got screwed up, though....

Incidentally, to confirm John's comment, does the hardware allow simultaneous running of WPA2 (or any encryption) and open networks at the same time? I've been able to do it with MUCH cheaper routers.

Incidentally, to confirm John's comment, does the hardware allow simultaneous running of WPA2 (or any encryption) and open networks at the same time? I've been able to do it with MUCH cheaper routers.
I've just tried setting my guest 2.4GHz network to Open and the main network as WPA2 and it worked without any problem. I didn't try the 5GHz band.

'Downgrading' my RT-N66U from Asuswrt-Merlin 380.69 to this fork took me hours. Kept seeing the "The wireless router is not in rescue mode" message in the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility. Eventually I found this solution after multiple Google attempts (on my 4" smartphone :confused:):
  • Set IP and Network Mask as instructed (192.168.1.x/ 255.255.255.0)
  • Disable Windows Firewall
  • Disable other adapters in Network Connections, except LAN (ETHERNET)
  • Reboot Windows
  • Remove the cable from the router's LAN port (if cable is connected). You can keep it in the computer
  • Place router in recovery mode by pressing Reset and powering it up. Keep holding reset until the Power LED slowly blinks.
  • Disable LAN network on Computer (this step didn't work for me, Windows refused, just skip if not possible)
  • Re-Enable LAN Network on Computer
  • Plug the cable in one of the LAN in the router not (not WAN!)
  • In Firmware Restoration select the firmware you want installed.
  • Now when pressing Upload in the Firmware Restoration app it should successfully upload your new firmware version.
  • Re-enable other adapters and Windows Firewall
  • (Don't forget to factory reset your router)
Please consider linking to this tutorial for future reference. Anyway, it's up and running now. Also used the User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility to restore my settings. Thank you very much for maintaining this fork!

Last edited:
I went in and double checked my recollection.....what I was remembering was a problem in trying to use mixed modes (n only primary, g mode guest). The 'fix' was to remove the option and now the guests run the same as the primary.

I can't recreate your problem. I run exactly as you are trying to configure, with the 2.4/5 GHz guests sharing an SSID without a problem. The only thing I can think of that would cause the SSIDs not to be recognized is if you have a mismatch between the router region and client region (either purchased in different regions or trying to use the hack to enable all channels). In that case, some clients may not be able to see the router at all.

I went in and double checked my recollection.....what I was remembering was a problem in trying to use mixed modes (n only primary, g mode guest). The 'fix' was to remove the option and now the guests run the same as the primary.

I can't recreate your problem. I run exactly as you are trying to configure, with the 2.4/5 GHz guests sharing an SSID without a problem. The only thing I can think of that would cause the SSIDs not to be recognized is if you have a mismatch between the router region and client region (either purchased in different regions or trying to use the hack to enable all channels). In that case, some clients may not be able to see the router at all.

In closing the loop here: A "Factory default" restore, and then a 'mtd-erase2 nvram' for good measure, and afterwards uploading my nvram.CFG file and JFFS partition from before the restore WORKED and required minimal effore. Now I have open guest wifi and WPA2-AES on both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. I used the same client to connect to both the secure and guest network. Wireless mode is "Auto" and "20MHz" for both 2.4 and 5.0

Here also are some NVRAM settings, that might address your comments (@john9527):

wl0_country_code=#a
wl0_country_rev=0
wl_country_code=#a
wl1_country_rev=0
wl_country_rev=0
wl1_country_code=#a
modem_country=
wl0_reg_mode=off
wl1_reg_mode=off
wl1_radioids=BCM2069
wl1_version=6.37.14.86 (r456083)

Thank you for everyone's input!

Although now there is a discrepancy in what is reported on the web interface, even though the networks are broadcasting and functioning as desired. See image.

Attachments

• D2CE1B38-DA94-442D-AFC9-5E8AFDEF9156.jpeg
    D2CE1B38-DA94-442D-AFC9-5E8AFDEF9156.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 485
Although now there is a discrepancy in what is reported on the web interface, even though the networks are broadcasting and functioning as desired. See image.
Turn off any password manager for the router ip.....it's filling in values in the gui.

Since you are using the #a mod, make sure you aren't using 'auto' channel selection and specify a fixed channel that is supported by your clients region code. Note that if you are in a region that supports DFS channels, don't select those as the #a mod disables proper radar detection. I don't recommend the use of this mod becauae it can cause problems such as you experienced.

Time to bite the bullet and do a factory reset and manual reconfiguration.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!