What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was looking at the iptables setup and I see the attached in the INPUT chain.
Why is the "ACCEPT all .... state NEW" line duplicated?

I guess it doesn't hurt anything. It just looked weird.

I did a fresh reboot before looking at the INPUT chain.

RT-N66U
Firmware: 374.43_29E2j9527

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
I was looking at the iptables setup and I see the attached in the INPUT chain.
Why is the "ACCEPT all .... state NEW" line duplicated?

I guess it doesn't hurt anything. It just looked weird.

I did a fresh reboot before looking at the INPUT chain.

RT-N66U
Firmware: 374.43_29E2j9527

Because doing just 'iptables -L' doesn't show you all the information....the rules are actually for two different interfaces.....
Code:
admin@RT-AC68P-EC58:/tmp/home/root# iptables -vL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination        
 4214 1314K ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
  430 28521 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
  787  140K ACCEPT     all  --  br0    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW

Because doing just 'iptables -L' doesn't show you all the information....the rules are actually for two different interfaces.....
Code:
admin@RT-AC68P-EC58:/tmp/home/root# iptables -vL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination       
 4214 1314K ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
  430 28521 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
  787  140K ACCEPT     all  --  br0    any     anywhere             anywhere             state NEW

Ahhh... thanks for the education.

I am getting this error below
Jan 18 20:26:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[31725]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

I think it is because my usb.log is too big
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 92.8M Jan 12 23:17 usb.log

I have a usb plugged into the 2.0 port, and external HDD in the 3.0 port, with SMB enabled for Kodi to get files from the HDD.

The last few lines of the log:
[usb_dbg: get_permission] No right about "Kodi" with the share mode.
[usb_dbg: get_permission] No right about "Kodi" with "...".

Can I just remove this usb.log? How do I prevent it from filling up again in the future?

Thanks

I am getting this error below
Jan 18 20:26:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[31725]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

I think it is because my usb.log is too big
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 92.8M Jan 12 23:17 usb.log

I have a usb plugged into the 2.0 port, and external HDD in the 3.0 port, with SMB enabled for Kodi to get files from the HDD.

The last few lines of the log:

Can I just remove this usb.log? How do I prevent it from filling up again in the future?

Thanks
Yes, that size usb.log is a problem. It will get deleted and recreated on a reboot.

Since it mentions Kodi, are you running v18? Kodi deprecated SMB1 in V18, so make sure you have activated SMB2 support on the router. You may also need to adjust your smb links in Kodi to use ip addresses instead of hostnames if that is how you are configured.

Looking for a volunteer.....

AC56 or AC68, PPPoE high speed (preferably a 1Gb) connection to test a build for CTF functionality. Please PM me if you can help out. Thanks!

John, the fork doesn't support AiMesh, correct? I have the 68U router with your 29E2. If I want to go to Merlin's firmware, is there a special process to follow, or just a firmware flash to Merlin's latest version would be adequate? I'm thinking to add an 86U to the Network and it would be great to have AiMesh capability. Thanks.

John, the fork doesn't support AiMesh, correct? I have the 68U router with your 29E2. If I want to go to Merlin's firmware, is there a special process to follow, or just a firmware flash to Merlin's latest version would be adequate? I'm thinking to add an 86U to the Network and it would be great to have AiMesh capability. Thanks.
Normal flash via the gui followed by a factory default reset should do it.

If you decide you want to go back to the fork, you will need to use the Recovery Tool (notes in the first post),

Just an update, uptime of 28 days on 374.43_29D4j9527.
Works fine on the RT-N66U. :)

So what would be the recommendation with an RT-N66U. Should I downgrade to this version for the security fixes, or should I remain at 380.69 without the security fixes? What features would I lose by downgrading?

So what would be the recommendation with an RT-N66U. Should I downgrade to this version for the security fixes, or should I remain at 380.69 without the security fixes? What features would I lose by downgrading?
Im on the same boat, for now Im using transmission, ab-solution, DNSSEC, I used this fork before, and its great no complaints but like merlin was active on this router I went back, but know I have mixed feelings... just for security fixes we should change the firmware IMHO... besides the eye candy will I loose the bandwith limiter per device?
Thanks in advance.

I'm considering trying this fork out on an RT-AC68U; now that you've updated to a newer wireless driver in order to combat KRACK, what are the benefits of using this fork over RMerlin's builds? I'm aware of the "L" builds and understand how those could be beneficial, but I thought the older wireless driver was the entire point of your fork. What am I missing here?

I'm considering trying this fork out on an RT-AC68U; now that you've updated to a newer wireless driver in order to combat KRACK, what are the benefits of using this fork over RMerlin's builds? I'm aware of the "L" builds and understand how those could be beneficial, but I thought the older wireless driver was the entire point of your fork. What am I missing here?
Some notes on this fork...

The fork does include
  • Maintenance for documented security issues
  • Maintenance for supporting open source components (such as dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc)
  • Backports of applicable fixes and new functions from Merlin's main branch
  • Some unique support for options requested by users
  • A different IPv6 stack which may work better in some environments
  • Older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)
  • Less of a lockdown on tweaking power levels
The fork does not include
  • The new TrendMicro DPI engine functions for ARM routers
  • The enhancements to the networkmap for custom icons, client naming, etc.
  • Some of the enhanced gui formatting of later releases, for instance the new wireless log
  • Support for the ASUS router control app
  • All the changes/tweaks that ASUS may have made since the original code was released (and any new introduced bugs :) )

Over the years, there have been some additional features implemented over ASUS/Merlin, so this is really now more of a unique build in some ways. Some that immediately come to mind....
  • Re-written Traditional QoS that works for both MIPS and ARM platforms
  • DNSCrypt support integrated into the firmware with gui support
  • Ability to change the port for gui HTTP access
  • Ability to selectively enable CTF FA mode on routers that support it.
  • Improvements in the NTP process, ability to specify primary and secondary servers and update intervals.
  • Ability to set the router as a SNTP server in the gui, integrated with the rest of the NTP firmware
  • Ability to block internet IPv6 when enabling the OpenVPN client (link local IPv6 remains active)
  • Enable/disable checkbox for VPN policy rules
  • Ability to adjust wifi power levels even with the newer drivers
There's also some nvram only options.....take a read to Merlin_Fork_Options.txt

It's just another option to consider.

Last edited:
Hi @john9527 Im having lots a trouble trying to download your firmware from onedrive, is it posible for you to have a mirror or torrent? my DSL looks more like a bad dial up , and on edge and chrome it give me issues and error to download, I want to give it a spin this weekend, like I need to reset default.... thanks in advance

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!