What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My first thought is a hardware issue. I really can't think of anything firmware wise that would take down a single port with 'no lights'.
I would
- try re-plugging both ends of the cable and inspect the corresponding sockets for any problems
- try replacing the ethernet cable
- power cycle the pc
- power down the router, remove the power cable, then cycle the power switch a few times, replug the power cable and power up (discharges capacitors)
replaced the router today with another RT-AC66U
This one seems to have a little bit les range as the previous one (same 28E2 firmware)
maybee it needs to break in the wifi

opened up the old one.
i think the HN36201CG(decoupling transformer) might be damaged because it reads different ohms on the input.
desoldered it and gonna buy a new one from aliexpress.

hopefully i can repair the port so i have a spare router

Wish: limit/hashlimit module to be able to rate limit packets. Very useful against all kinds of malicious activity.

Now it says
$ modprobe limit
modprobe: module limit not found in modules.dep
It's already there, at least on my RT-AC68U! It's what Firewall > General > Enable DoS protection uses.

iptables -m hashlimit --help
iptables -m limit --help
ls /usr/lib/xtables/libxt_*limit.so

Last edited:
Where did you see this? I didn't realize the N66U had been EOL'd. I assume this means that eventually (soon) John will have to drop support in the fork too? Seems I might need to be in the market for a new router.

It is worth remembering that "end of support" does not mean the router stops working. For most installations, especially where they are used as access points, the N66 is still a terrific piece of gear.

It is worth remembering that "end of support" does not mean the router stops working. For most installations, especially where they are used as access points, the N66 is still a terrific piece of gear.
And you are absolutely right, of course. I haven't really used any of the newer features of the later firmwares. It's mainly been a security concern for me. I've been toying with the idea of getting a RT-AC86U anyway and then using my N66 as an access point. I've got a number of AC devices now that may benefit from a new router.

Of course I'm also cheap so if I can avoid spending $200 . . . :)

AFAIK the only Broadcom based router 'officially' EOL is the N16. But, having said that, the last ASUS release for the N66 was a 380 based release for the KRACK fix in November of last year. My guess is that the N66 is moving more towards a 'critical fix' maintenance mode for them as well. I don't know if they have any plans to move the N66 to the 384 code base, but my guess would be no. Maybe @RMerlin has more info.

Is RT-N16 in EoL officially from Asus? I could be wrong, but Asus is still making and selling them (through Amazon and Newegg) and it is not in their official list of End-of-Life wireless routers that I found https://www.asus.com/event/network/EOL-product/ , but at the same time Asus has been very reluctant to provide firmware updates with new features for it. It looks like it is in the long tail of the production curve more or less as a cash cow that is being milked to death. As far as software updates though, from what I have seen they are only releasing updates when there are critical security issues, perhaps because of Asus's settlement with FTC . Last official firmware was 3.0.0.4.380.7378 released last April to fix five CVEs.

Last edited:
One hint is that they never released a KRACK fix build for the N16.
Good point. I just sent them a support ticket to see what's going on. The following is what I just sent them. Will let you know if/when I hear back.

I noticed that RT-N16 is not listed in the list of End-of-Life Routers by Asus ( https://www.asus.com/event/network/EOL-product ) and as listed on Asus's where to buy (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN16/wheretobuy/ ) it is still being sold by Amazon and Newegg. However, It looks like there hasn't been a security update for the security issues that have been identified since the release of 3.0.0.4.380.7378 including for KRACK security issue. Do you have an expected date on when a firmware update to fix the security issues will be released?

It's been a while since I visited this thread, since I got rid of my AC68R a couple years back. I've since move onto the Ubiquiti stuff. Recently, Amazon.com had a great sale on refurb T-Mobile AC1900 routers, so I snagged one to play around with and to setup at my brother's place. The T-Mobile router is a rebranded AC68U, with some of it's features locked down/hidden, so users can't access then. With some effort, you can get the stock AC68U firmware running on it.

In any case, I remembered using john9527 fork on my AC68R a few years ago, and was happy to see he's still maintaining the builds. The second I saw updates were still being released, I flashed the v30E3 firmware onto my router.

Thanks for taking the time to continue working on these older routers John!

Also, have you considered adding a link to this thread or your OneDrive folder to the firmware update page, like Merlin has? Just a thought, so people don't forget where to go if they're looking for a firmware update.

It's already there, at least on my RT-AC68U! It's what Firewall > General > Enable DoS protection uses.

Got me, didn't have DoS protection enabled on my AC66U, after enabling limit:
Code:
$ iptables -m hashlimit --help
iptables v1.3.8: Couldn't load match `hashlimit':File not found
$ iptables -m limit --help
limit v1.3.8 options:
--limit avg                     max average match rate: default 3/hour
                                [Packets per second unless followed by
                                /sec /minute /hour /day postfixes]
--limit-burst number            number to match in a burst, default 5
Thank you :)

!!! WARNING !!!
As of today, they have stopped publishing the DNSCrypt v1 format csv with the list of resolvers. If you are using dnscrypt and run the dnscrypt-update-resolvers.sh script (or have it in a cron job to regularly update), you will break DNS.

If you have already run the update script and have lost access, you can run the script again with the 'default' argument to revert to the version prepackaged in the code.
dnscrypt-update-resolvers.sh default

Hi @john9527 there's a weird thing going on with my AC68U. I have your latest fork 30E2 installed. I upgraded my internet service to 400 Mb but the router sims to be throttling me back. I had Traffic Manager enabled and regardless to what I was putting for my Upload/download bandwidth, the traffic manager was stuck limiting the speed to what ever it was awhile ago, which was around 175Mb. I disabled the Traffic Manager and for awhile the speed showed at downloads at 436 Mb. which is great. Subsequent measurements though would show at around 257Mb. If I enable the Traffic manager it drops back to the old setting of 175 Mb even though I had the number set to 1000 Mb and saved that way. I disable the Traffic Manager, it reboots and it goes to over the 400Mbs but after awhile it drops again to under 300Mbs. I'm at a loss. Should I save the setting, JFFS and do a factory default? It might be stuck. After I do the factory default and reload my saved configs, would the error perpetuate?

Thanks.

I had Traffic Manager enabled and regardless to what I was putting for my Upload/download bandwidth, the traffic manager was stuck limiting the speed to what ever it was awhile ago, which was around 175Mb.
That is definitely strange. Just to double check, you are hitting 'Save' after changing the values (Changing the values and hitting the toggle On/Off may not save the new values). Also, after you make the change, ssh to the router and check if the new values have been saved
nvram get qos_ibw
nvram get qos_obw
I disable the Traffic Manager, it reboots and it goes to over the 400Mbs but after awhile it drops again to under 300Mbs.
QoS disables HW acceleration (CTF). The AC68U can only do max 300Mbs without CTF on a minimally configured system. I'm more surprised you saw any measure over 300Mbs with QoS enabled.

Log into your router and run "top" to see your CPU usage. Do the speed test again and see if the CPU is at 100%.
Should I save the setting, JFFS and do a factory default? It might be stuck. After I do the factory default and reload my saved configs, would the error perpetuate?
Reloading a "Save Settings" file after a factory reset is pointless as you will be reloading any misconfigured settings.
The AC68U can only do max 300Mbs without CTF on a minimally configured system. I'm more surprised you saw any measure over 300Mbs with QoS enabled.
I have to set my RT-AC68U to 210Mbps even though my line is 385Mbps. The router can't reliably sustain transfers over ~210Mbps without CTF.

Log into your router and run "top" to see your CPU usage. Do the speed test again and see if the CPU is at 100%.
Reloading a "Save Settings" file after a factory reset is pointless as you will be reloading any misconfigured settings.
I have to set my RT-AC68U to 210Mbps even though my line is 385Mbps. The router can't reliably sustain transfers over ~210Mbps without CTF.
That is definitely strange. Just to double check, you are hitting 'Save' after changing the values (Changing the values and hitting the toggle On/Off may not save the new values). Also, after you make the change, ssh to the router and check if the new values have been saved
nvram get qos_ibw
nvram get qos_obw

QoS disables HW acceleration (CTF). The AC68U can only do max 300Mbs without CTF on a minimally configured system. I'm more surprised you saw any measure over 300Mbs with QoS enabled.

That's the problem, I don't think the Traffic Manager saves the new setting anymore...! Also forgive my ignorance but how do you SSH?

Last edited:
Just ran through changing the values both with QoS On and Off....worked fine for me hitting the Save button.
I did a complete factory reset, major PITA. I reconfigured everything, now I can't log into VPN with my iPhone, despite the fact I configured everything the way it was trough screenshots. It shows the iPhone trying to log in but it times it out. I exported the VPN file and opened it on the VPN app, but no joy...:mad: The QoS Traffic manager is on with bandwidth setup to 100 Mb/s upload and 1000 Mb/s download. Saved, speed test at 175 mb/s again. I don't know what else to do... Some pics from my setup. The last pic is speed without QoS on. As you can see the Traffic Manager is throttling the system back, way back....

Attachments

• QoSAsus.jpg
    QoSAsus.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 726
  • QoSAsus1.jpg
    QoSAsus1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 580
  • QoSAsus2.jpg
    QoSAsus2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
The QoS Traffic manager is on with bandwidth setup to 100 Mb/s upload and 1000 Mb/s download. Saved, speed test at 175 mb/s again. I don't know what else to do...
Setting at 1000 Mbs will do no good, and may actually hurt things since your 'real' max throughput without CTF is max 300Mbs (or lower, like in Colin's case closer to 200 Mbs). Try a value like 200 and see if you can see a change.

Setting at 1000 Mbs will do no good, and may actually hurt things since your 'real' max throughput without CTF is max 300Mbs (or lower, like in Colin's case closer to 200 Mbs). Try a value like 200 and see if you can see a change.
Thanks John, I have it off now and I get max download 436 mb/s and upload 52 mb/s. I think it's the Traffic Manager...it chokes it up...

AiCloud refuses to connect in the two latest versions, both from the Android app and via the web. Reverted back to v29E2 and everything is working again. I'm on AC66U.

V30E3, AC66U. When I put vsftpd.conf in /jffs/configs vsftpd does not start.
deleting /jffs/configs/vsftpd.conf makes everything ok.

I have been trying with empty vsftpd.conf and my previously working vsftpd.conf. Both cases do not work, if /jffs/configs/vsftpd.conf exists.

V30E2 shows the same problem.

All factory reset between firmware changes.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!