What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At this point I have done a factory reset to clear NVRAM, it rebooted, went through initial setup as it should and it is now very much functional!!!

I am glad I didn't give up on this one!!!! Success!!!!
Thanks again for all the help!
Whew....tough road! Hope you think it was worth it! :)

Thanks! I did compare it, the JFFS partition was not present, the CFE location was the same, so was the NVRAM the linux partition had a different offset if I remember correctly. Didn't save the output as the most important thing IMHO was the JFFS and it wasn't there. I then did a firmware upgrade to the fork, directly from DD-WRT which succeeded!!!

View attachment 12244

At this point I have done a factory reset to clear NVRAM, it rebooted, went through initial setup as it should and it is now very much functional!!!

I am glad I didn't give up on this one!!!! Success!!!!
Thanks again for all the help!

Awesome [emoji106]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Well worth it! This is a very important piece of hardware for me, I've kept it alive for many years, fixing hardware and software (the N16 has a electrolytic capacitor that has a tendency to blow up... replaced that one with a higher voltage rating part and it revived the router!).
Will upgrade to the latest version ASAP. Take care! Thanks again!

Whew....tough road! Hope you think it was worth it! :)

Updated three AC68U/R to the latest 31E6. Everything has been smooth so far. Thanks John!

Same here, 31E6 on a AC68U rev. A1. Smooth as ever.:) Thx.

Thanks for the update John, working well so far. :)

I'm curious about this entry in the changelog:

* CHANGED: samba36: enable dns proxy for netbios name resolution when master browser

Just wondering whether there's an issue that this addresses. It struck me as a bit odd that it's linked to the master browser function when AFAIK it's only relevant when Samba is configured as a WINS server. (But I could be mistaken as I don't use either.)

thanks for the update John, two questions:

when I SSH onto the router where do I find the dnscrypt-update-resolvers.sh ?

I have 'master browser' enabled on my N66U, with this enabled all my Windows connected devices can access each other by name which is great. Ideally it would be good to disable Netbios and simply use DNS on the local domain suffix e.g. home.local
I'm also curious whether this entry in the changelog addresses this:
CHANGED: samba36: enable dns proxy for netbios name resolution when master browser

Thanks for the update John, working well so far. :)

I'm curious about this entry in the changelog:

* CHANGED: samba36: enable dns proxy for netbios name resolution when master browser

Just wondering whether there's an issue that this addresses. It struck me as a bit odd that it's linked to the master browser function when AFAIK it's only relevant when Samba is configured as a WINS server. (But I could be mistaken as I don't use either.)
OK...thanks for keeping me honest...must have been having a bad day :rolleyes: Of course, it should be tied to WINS and not Master Browser. Ran across the option when I was configuring a linux box samba in a different config without the router, so decided to try including it. Already wrote a patch for it. Luckily it doesn't break samba if you just run as MB without WINS enabled and include the option.

thanks for the update John, two questions:

when I SSH onto the router where do I find the dnscrypt-update-resolvers.sh ?
It's in /usr/sbin, which is part of the path. So all you need to do is enter the command.

I have 'master browser' enabled on my N66U, with this enabled all my Windows connected devices can access each other by name which is great. Ideally it would be good to disable Netbios and simply use DNS on the local domain suffix e.g. home.local
I'm also curious whether this entry in the changelog addresses this:
CHANGED: samba36: enable dns proxy for netbios name resolution when master browser
See my previous mea culpa to @ColinTaylor. My experience, at least on Windows before Win10, is that things get 'strange' if you try to disable Netbios.. Maybe someone with more experience on Windows can provide some advice.

Ideally it would be good to disable Netbios and simply use DNS on the local domain suffix e.g. home.local
In theory you could/should be able to do that now. Without NetBIOS's "browser" function Windows machines have other methods of discovering each other. The problem comes from non-Windows machines (like the router) that rely on NetBIOS to broadcast their presence.

As an aside, IMHO using .local as your local domain is a bad idea because of potential conflicts with other software. Safer to choose something else.

updated my trusty N66u to 31E6 without a hitch. Well, angry faces from wife and kids because of the reboot, but they can learn to live with that :)

Thanks John !

Last edited:
Hi
Are you aware of anything that could happen to the router that suddenly (without manual change) makes a streaming service think I am in another country?

My ip is the usual German one, and if I connect directly to the modem I can access the streaming service.
But through the router not anymore.

Hi
Are you aware of anything that could happen to the router that suddenly (without manual change) makes a streaming service think I am in another country?

My ip is the usual German one, and if I connect directly to the modem I can access the streaming service.
But through the router not anymore.
Through the router is probably giving you different WAN IP which is either incorrectly identified, or part of a a block bought by your ISP that hasn't been location updated.

Through the router is probably giving you different WAN IP which is either incorrectly identified, or part of a a block bought by your ISP that hasn't been location updated.

I cannot explain it yet (but I am sure with some more info it will be understood here :) ).
I updated the FW to latest (I needed an excuse, I was on 29), and it started working, but after I changed PC thinking it was solved, it did not work anymore.
So I thought that it must be something happening on the router after a while, and the first thing coming to mind was OpenVPN.
I have the client always on, although I specifically route there only 2 devices (none of them trying to access the streaming service).
I disabled the VPN client and it works.
What can be leaking from there to devices not supposed to cross it?

Curiously, the error I am getting with that is something like "the service is not available in your language or country", but if I connect to the same VPN directly with my laptop, the message becomes "the service is only available in Germany, Japan, Canada, etc". (the service explicitly forbids VPNs)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!