What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I had problems downloading with Firefox and downthemall (download manager app). My work around was avoid using a download manager application. Did you try Firefox or Chrome?

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
Hi, yes I tried without download manager, with edge, firefox an chrome, the bandwith is really bad, both at work and home

Hello, Happy Friday! I would like to know if i can upgrade from Stock Firm 1.0.1.6 RT-N16 to Fork v30e2 Firm John´s via GUI ? Sorry for my questions so this firm have qos,vpn and stable features ? TIA

Last edited:
Hi John,

I recently upgraded my Internet speed to 300 Mps. I got the new modem, set it up but my speed is still under 200, which I had before. I did several speed tests in different computers and it's the same. When I connect my laptop straight to the modem I get near 300 mps download speeds but through the RT-AC68U I only get 175. Any help? I'm running your latest 30E2 firmware. Thanks.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded my Internet speed to 300 Mps. I got the new modem, set it up but my speed is still under 200, which I had before. I did several speed tests in different computers and it's the same. When I connect my laptop straight to the modem I get near 300 mps download speeds but through the RT-AC68U I only get 175. Any help? I'm running your latest 30E2 firmware. Thanks.
You probably have hardware acceleration disabled. Check its state at Tools > System Information > Network > HW acceleration. Coincidentally I also had my speed upgraded from 150 to 300 this week and experienced the same thing.

Hello, Happy Friday! I would like to know if i can upgrade from Stock Firm 1.0.1.6 RT-N16 to Fork v30e2 Firm John´s via GUI ? Sorry for my questions so this firm have qos,vpn and stable features ? TIA
1.0.1.6 sounds like a CFE level, not a firmware level. If the current asus firmware is 380.3000 or above, you need to use the firmware restoration tool, otherwise the gui will work. There are more details in the first post.

Also note that VPN isn't supported on the N16....too little memory.

Hi John,

You probably have hardware acceleration disabled. Check its state at Tools > System Information > Network > HW acceleration. Coincidentally I also had my speed upgraded from 150 to 300 this week and experienced the same thing.

Depending on the model AC68, an AC68U with a 1GHz clock should get close to 300Mbps without HW acceleration. If you have a bunch of features enabled, it may drop into the mid 200's.

If you are using QoS, remember to reset your download/upload limits for your new speed.

And, regardless of what your ISP says, I'd make sure that things are totally reset at their end after they push the new modem config by powering down the modem for 15-30 minutes.

1.0.1.6 sounds like a CFE level, not a firmware level. If the current asus firmware is 380.3000 or above, you need to use the firmware restoration tool, otherwise the gui will work. There are more details in the first post.

Also note that VPN isn't supported on the N16....too little memory.

Thanks a lot @john9527 I’m going to research about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked what you recommended and HW acceleration is enabled, I think always was. The culprit was QoS Traffic Manager... I experimented with it on and off, I adjusted download/upload speeds to what ISP recommended, but every time the speed was dropping back to 175 Mb/s download, the upload was unaffected.

I turned the Traffic Manager completely off, rebooted and bingo, download 278.86 Mb/s, upload 50.57 Mb/s That did it.

I checked what you recommended and HW acceleration is enabled, I think always was. The culprit was QoS Traffic Manager
That's strange. Turning on QoS will disable HW acceleration, hence your problem. If it didn't say "HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with: QoS" then something must have confused it.

Also remember that the default for QoS is that unclassified traffic goes in the 'Low' priority category (unless you change it). Some speedtest sites can use unusual ports...for example xfinity used to use port 5555

That's strange. Turning on QoS will disable HW acceleration, hence your problem. If it didn't say "HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with: QoS" then something must have confused it.
Depending on the model AC68, an AC68U with a 1GHz clock should get close to 300Mbps without HW acceleration. If you have a bunch of features enabled, it may drop into the mid 200's.

If you are using QoS, remember to reset your download/upload limits for your new speed.

And, regardless of what your ISP says, I'd make sure that things are totally reset at their end after they push the new modem config by powering down the modem for 15-30 minutes.

Yes, QoS Traffic Manager is completely OFF and HW acceleration is ON. It works, I'm happy :)

When QoS was on HW was on as well... :/

Yep...it's a bug. But easy workaround (I though I had added this already, but I guess not).

via ssh/telnet

ln -sf /jffs/ssl /jffs/https
This has been present in every update, including the latest (30E2). Is it still your intention to fix it or should I plan to continue on using the workaround?

EDIT: I just re-read my message and the tone is certainly not what I meant to convey. Sorry for that. What I really meant to ask is if this is the expected behavior or was there an update you were planning that would eliminate the need for creating the symlink.

Last edited:
This has been present in every update, including the latest (30E2). Is it still your intention to fix it or should I plan to continue on using the workaround?

EDIT: I just re-read my message and the tone is certainly not what I meant to convey. Sorry for that. What I really meant to ask is if this is the expected behavior or was there an update you were planning that would eliminate the need for creating the symlink.
No worries :)

I just double checked the code, and it's in there for when you issue the https2jffs command. And once you issue the command manually, it should 'stick'. Are you by chance restoring a jffs backup taken before you issued the command?

My parents use my old N66 and AC68U as Acces Points. Looks like they haven't been upgraded in a while.
N66 is on 374.43_2-13E1j9527 and the AC68U is on 374.43_2-14E1j9527.
According to te upgrade matrix I can upgrade both to the newest L without having to do a factory reset. Am I reading this correctly?
The AC68U doesn't seem to need JJFS reformat and the N66 says maybe (depends on code size). Where can I find out if reformat is needed?

If I go to E builds then the AC68U need to reformat and restore JFFS and factory reset but the N66 doesn't need factory reset? But needs JJFS reformat?

The N66 indicates in Sys.info JJFS :Unmounted. And the AC68 JFFS: 1.08 / 32.00 MB

For easier future updates is E or L recommended?

Thanks a lot @john9527 I’m going to research about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your Asus web UI actually says 1.0.1.6, you might be on an ancient version of the firmware. Probably from right when the router was released years ago. I started tracking all of the GPLs that Asus released specifically marked for RT-N16 a few years ago, and interestingly the very first GPL code that I found was marked as version 1.0.1.9 (dated 2010/09/14). Asus switched to the 3.0.x versions later with the exception of one release which was marked as a 9.0.x version. (my github commit list has the official RT-N16 source code versions listed as a reference https://github.com/YasharF/Asuswrt-RT-N16/commits/master )

If you are on an ancient version, I would highly recommend updating the firmware (fork or even official) due to various security issues that have been fixed since then. Either way, I think the instructions on the first page would work. Worst case scenario, you may end up with a soft brick which you can fix with the Asus firmware recovery tool.

Last edited:
I started tracking all of the GPLs that Asus released specifically marked for RT-N16 a few years ago, and interestingly the very first GPL code that I found was marked as version 1.0.1.9 (dated 2010/09/14).
As the saying goes....I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

No worries :)

I just double checked the code, and it's in there for when you issue the https2jffs command. And once you issue the command manually, it should 'stick'. Are you by chance restoring a jffs backup taken before you issued the command?
Nope. I'm not doing anything except moving the certs from jffs to nvram, updating the certs and moving them back to jffs. I have 2 AC-68U's - one as a router the other as an Access Point. Same thing on both. Below is the cheat sheet I use for executing the update.:

https://pastebin.com/y85C1tBj

The RT-N16 actually started back to what used to be called "the blue UI", with version 1.x.

Asuswrt was introduced with 3.0.0.x, with the RT-N66U in 2012. The RT-N16 as well as a few other models were gradually moved to Asuswrt.

Hi I'm using version 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-14E1j9527 with my AC66U. Will I gain anything from updating to the latest?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!