What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had the same issue so instead of using the rescue utility I just put 192.168.1.1 in the browser and it brought me to a simple page to upload the firmware and it worked.

me too..

i upload from using the ip address of the router too..

so i believe should be working.. so far no issue

rt-n66u stock

Hi sorry for being a noob, I really want to get johns fork on my router but dont want to break it.

I am still not clear on the guide for upgrading stock to latest johns fork

Please confirm the steps somebody for me before i begin

for johns I have the following steps

recovery to flash firmware After that you need to perform a factory reset

format the JFFS and manually configure your router.

Is their a visual guide for this, I don't see the steps for formatting JFFS

the following firmwares have guides which I understand more.

RT-N66U_380.70_0 merlin

flash with firmware

reset to factory defaults

flashing tomatoUSB

full guide
https://www.shadowandy.net/2012/03/asus-rt-n66u-tomatousb-firmware-flashing-guide.htm/2

Advanced TomatoUSB guide looks complete but from what I have read on here johns fork is the better choice.

Thanks

Can someone sumarize what features we'll lose when going from merlin 380_70 to this build for an N66U? Given that there was just a release of 380_70 migrating to this fork, but if I am not losing feature I actively use there is no reason to defer migrating.

I managed to get latest John fork installed can't believe it Lol:)

I then enabled format jffs at next reboot and rebooted all so far good just to setup nordvpn now and kill switch.

Is their any other settings need changing or are the default all good.

Im so pleased to get working :)

Is it possible with vpn to enable it just on 1 device my pc connected via Ethernet and rest of wireless devices not using vpn.

Nord vpn tell me if I enable in router all devices will use it so looks like after all this I'm stuck with using their software on my pc.

Really wanted to be able to use it without software. The vpn would slow my wireless devices to much.

Last edited:
Is it possible with vpn to enable it just on 1 device my pc connected via Ethernet and rest of wireless devices not using vpn.

Nord vpn tell me if I enable in router all devices will use it so looks like after all this I'm stuck with using their software on my pc.

Really wanted to be able to use it without software. The vpn would slow my wireless devices to much.

Yes, you can choose it with the last option on the vpn client page, there you can also add the desired devices.
Maybe because I did not spend time trying to understand the dns options, I had a dns leak to every device, so some service (DAZN, Amazon Prime, ...) on devices not behind vpn forbid me access believing they were on vpn.

Yes, you can choose it with the last option on the vpn client page, there you can also add the desired devices.
Maybe because I did not spend time trying to understand the dns options, I had a dns leak to every device, so some service (DAZN, Amazon Prime, ...) on devices not behind vpn forbid me access believing they were on vpn.
10mb instead of 50mb when setup on router vs app for pc vpn gonna just use app such a shame router not powerful enough

yes, I get just below 15mbit.
i used it for low def traffic until I had the dns leak.

yes, I get just below 15mbit.
i used it for low def traffic until I had the dns leak.
Shouldn't be any DNS leaks that I know of.....Need to set the DNS configuration to 'Exclusive'

10mb instead of 50mb when setup on router vs app for pc vpn gonna just use app such a shame router not powerful enough
Can only do what the processor can do. AC68 will support 50Mbs....AC86 over 200Mbs.

Shouldn't be any DNS leaks that I know of.....Need to set the DNS configuration to 'Exclusive'

Can only do what the processor can do. AC68 will support 50Mbs....AC86 over 200Mbs.

hmm.... AC68 will support 50Mbs....AC86 over 200Mbs really???

Hello @all :)
I am new to this forum and have sucessfully installed this LTS build, thx john9527 for your work!

But I have a question:

I live in EU, own two RT-AC66U with latest merlin, after that installed this fork as described (legacy, since I need the most stable wifi and fastest possible -> using a media bridge to my NAS with a second RT-AC66U), did the factory reset and formated JFFS. I did backups but set everything manually again.
All works well but I only get channel 36, 40, 44 and 48 with 5Ghz wifi. Even if force select 20MHz, apply that, the channel list do not add any more channels...
Then I look at Merlin_Fork_Options.txt and discovered

nvram set wl_dfs_enable=1
nvram commit && reboot
SSH to my first AC66U paste the code, it did the reboot, but nothing change...

So, what can I do, since with legacy wifi driver from 2014 I am stuck at lower dBm at lower channels.

Any way to spoof an US device or is this too evil/illegal?

hmm.... AC68 will support 50Mbs....AC86 over 200Mbs really???
Yes...the AC86 processor has hardware encryption. You can do a search and see some of the results that have been reported (I personally don't have one).

All works well but I only get channel 36, 40, 44 and 48 with 5Ghz wifi. Even if force select 20MHz, apply that, the channel list do not add any more channels...
Then I look at Merlin_Fork_Options.txt and discovered
nvram set wl_dfs_enable=1
nvram commit && rebootSSH to my first AC66U paste the code, it did the reboot, but nothing change...

So, what can I do, since with legacy wifi driver from 2014 I am stuck at lower dBm at lower channels.
Hmmm...someone earlier with an AC66 posted a problem when enabling the DFS channels (it allowed selection of channel at 40MHz width that it shouldn't) but the channels were available. But he was running the 'E' build. It's possible that the DFS enable requires the newer drivers in the 'E' build.

Can you try the 'E' build and see if the channels become available? (unfortunately I don't have an AC66 to test on)

Hmmm...someone earlier with an AC66 posted a problem when enabling the DFS channels (it allowed selection of channel at 40MHz width that it shouldn't) but the channels were available. But he was running the 'E' build. It's possible that the DFS enable requires the newer drivers in the 'E' build.

Can you try the 'E' build and see if the channels become available? (unfortunately I don't have an AC66 to test on)
Thx for your answer :)
Since you wrote in your UpgradeMatrix.txt a factory reset is recommended when changing between 'E' Builds and 'L' Builds, I use two AC66U and they are difficult to reach because they are well hidden (and my wife would kill me if there is a second disarray today), I honestly fear doing the whole work again and maybe without a result :D
For me on L build, selecting 40Mhz don't change anything in concern of available channels.
I guess you are very conflicted about telling me changing EU wifi restrictions to US ? ;)
It's silly that I am missing 64 channels even for EU router... (I do not mean that's your fault of course)
If I encounter serious poor performance I will try E build like you recommended but I am still hoping for a nice ssh command to solve that

I asked a couple of times about those settings but got no answer, didn't want to bother you again :)
Apparently I got my answer sideways eventually :D
Thanks

I'm all up and running latest e build v32e4 johns fork on n66u router.

Happy with all.

Can someone tell me if I should change any default router settings or is all default values secure enough.

My setup is
Win 10
Wpa2 security
Ethernet
Firewall enabled
Channel auto
I'm UK based
Not messed with anything.
Got Firefox installed with https and adblock extension.
Nordvpn via their app

Is that all I need.

My home setup is Ethernet pc and lots of wireless devices in rooms all over house.

Thanks

I asked a couple of times about those settings but got no answer, didn't want to bother you again :)
Apparently I got my answer sideways eventually :D
Thanks
But due to my double NAT Exclusive makes my WAN devices not have a working DNS.
It seems to work with relaxed, but I am not sure how that works, sounds a bit too relaxed for a VPN :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!