What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What does "[Fork]" mean?
It means this.
In what way does "[Fork]" affect me as an end user?
The word? I don't know really.
What is "374.43" respectively "V32E4"? And how do they relate to each other? How, when and why do I as an an end user need and use these two numbers?
The fork is based on Asuswrt-Merlin version 374.43. The V32E4 is @john9527 's way of versioning. V 32 is the 32nd major revision, E4 denotes a particular build and line, specifics available in the first post.
I would suggest giving this firmware a name that makes sense when you read it, perhaps something like: "Asuswrt-Merlin custom FirmWare for ASUS routers released before 2015".
That really rolls off the tongue, perhaps it will be considered.
There are a lot of assumptions that any reader knows very much technical details and terminology.
Messing with your router software does assume that to some degree, yes. The forum here is a good place to read and ask questions if you want to learn or need help.
Remember, the ASUS router is a product for end users, if your firmware is not aimed for ASUS router customer, but instead for a subset of them with higher technical knowledge and understanding, then you should say so.
That's implied. This is in no way any official offering from Asus.
  • The version of the ASUS Firmware in my router is: "3.0.0.4.382_50470", how can I compare that to the reference to ASUS firmware in second point in "Installation Notes", where the version is "380.3000", it doesn't seem to fit with the way ASUS write their versions...
  • In the same second point in "Installation notes" there is a reference to "level 374". What is a level? And how do I know which level I'm on?
"in 3.0.0.4.382_50470" 382 is the level, 50470 is the revision. Level 382 is newer than 380, and in turn 378, 376, and 374. You're on level 382.
  • Point three in "Installation notes", well I don't even know where to begin...builds? "KRACK fix for the N16"? ARM SDK? rev level?
    I'm not sure how anyone can make sense of this, I read it many times still I have no clue if I should use the E or L build....
  • Everything after this is beyond me....reformat and restore JFFS, MIPS based routers, jffs script errors, transfer your user settings from your current firmware to this fork, review '@UpgradeMatrix.txt' in the download directory, and so on...I just does not know how to use any of this information or make any sense of it.
Nothing wrong with not knowing. You'll have to read, reread, and ask questions to get an understanding. There are some things you can do that will cause permanent or at least troublesome damage to your router, so I would recommend having some amount of confidence that you understand what you're doing before you actually do anything.

Last edited:
As a normal non-technical-Asus-Nat-owner, I find the information on"[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V32E4)" very unclear and confusing in general, and particularly the "Installation Notes" section.

Here are my questions and reflections:
If you need to ask yourself these questions, it's better to stay on the stock ASUS firmware. No offence.

Weird thing with the latest E build on my ac66u-b1, i switched off UPnP while the router was on & people were connected, the percentage on the please wait screen quickly went to 150% and cycled back around. At about 110% the router reset, turned back on & reconnected

There is repeater mode. Can’t guarantee your downgrade flash will go without hiccups but I don’t really see a problem, just make sure to clear NVRAM after.

Got the following error when trying through the web interface. Will try to get into the mini cfe and see if i fare better.

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

Got the following error when trying through the web interface. Will try to get into the mini cfe and see if i fare better.

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.
As explained in the installation notes in post #1:
For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.

As explained in the installation notes in post #1:
yes, yes, thank you

have any advice on how to get into mini web cfe on an rt-ac66u. I don't remember it being this difficult and apparently every link on the subject now goes to tomobile router hacking.

have any advice on how to get into mini web cfe on an rt-ac66u. I don't remember it being this difficult and apparently every link on the subject now goes to tomobile router hacking.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ
Q: How do I put the router into Recovery Mode?
A: Turn the router off. Press the reset button, and while keeping it pressed turn it back on. Wait a few seconds until the power led blinks, and then release the reset button. Router will now be in Recovery Mode, reachable at 192.168.1.1.

so i got john's firmware up on my old ac66, but can't seem to get get it setup as a repeater. every time i try, i get locked out of the mgmt console for it and i can't access it via ip or anything. Any recommendations?

so i got john's firmware up on my old ac66, but can't seem to get get it setup as a repeater. every time i try, i get locked out of the mgmt console for it and i can't access it via ip or anything. Any recommendations?
What IP address are you using? You do realise that the IP address will change when you switch from router mode to repeater mode?

What IP address are you using? You do realise that the IP address will change when you switch from router mode to repeater mode?
Well,
unlike the most recent stock and merlin versions it doesn't ask you to set the ip address when selecting repeater mode. The first time i had it set to 192.168.1.1 which conflicted with my internet router and nothing was accessible. The 2nd time i manually set it to 192.168.1.2 which wasn't used and then connected it to the wifi network. That didn't seem to work either. I checked for dhcp leases, just in case enabling repeater mode switched the router to dhcp. The 192.168.1.2 address was not pingable from the internet router even though wireless debug showed it connected. I think it was pingable from the workstation wired to it directly, but could not get into the web interface. Had to clear the nvram to get reset.

Update
Looks like its working. The router changed its ip to dhcp. Interesting thing is, the wireless debug shows the mac as bc:ee:7b:7d:7d:14 but the dhcp lease now shows bc:ee:7b:7d:7d:10.

I'm going to test the signal strength with my ac68 running merlin 384.5 and see which one is better. If i remember correctly Johns fork was before the radios were neutered.

Last edited:
My apologies....

for going silent over the last month. I had a family emergency which pretty much turned my life upside down, at least for the foreseeable future. Things are a little quieter now, so I'll be able to spend a bit more time back here.

I have a new release which was ready to go, which I hope to have up shortly and I'll be trying to catch up with any posts/questions/PMs. Please be patient. Thanks.

My apologies....for going silent over the last month. I had a family emergency which pretty much turned my life upside down, at least for the foreseeable future. Things are a little quieter now, so I'll be able to spend a bit more time back here.

No worries, take all the time you need and glad to have you back :)

Feel free to reach out if you need a hand the coding/testing front.

Update-33E4/33L4 is now available!

Update-33E4 Highlights
  • Security update to prevent unauthorized gui logons (Merlin backport)
  • Update curl to 7.60
  • Update nano to 2.9.7
  • Update OpenVPN to 2.4.6
  • Update miniupnpd to 2018503 snapshot (Merlin backport)
  • Update DDNS options to 384 support (includes GoogleDDNS)
  • Add statistic iptables netfilter
  • Implement service-event custom script (Merlin backport)
  • Add error reporting to VPN status page
  • Add netstat -p support (Merlin backport)
  • Add CGM ciphers to available legacy ciphers (Merlin backport)
  • ARM IPv6 stability improvements (theMiron)
  • Use HTTPS for entware install
  • Pre-packaged DNSCRYPT resolvers file updated to v2 format
    NOTE: If you are using DNSCRYPT and have not used the update resolvers script to use the new format resolvers, you will need to reselect your resolvers in the gui following this update.
  • Add nvram var to disable empty wpad response - required for some Windows installs
  • Fix httpd server check to allow for custom certs
  • Fix some kernel memory leaks (Tomato backports)
  • Fix errors when using mac address as client name
  • Fix gui ellipsis for 5G SSID
  • Fix truncation of client name in DNSFilter pulldown
  • Don't start samba if sharing is disabled and master browser or WINS are enabled (Merlin backport)
  • Move postconf execution after generating the firewall script, but before executing it (Merlin backport)
  • Update DFS channel selection for AC66U

Please review the 'Installation Notes' section in the first post for further information on installing this fork.

The 'E' Build series supports all the support routers, including the newer rev AC68U and similar routers, and is the default fork version. The biggest change is the inclusion of the KRACK fix for the N66, AC66, AC56 and AC68 routers when used as a Repeater or Media Bridge. The N16 will NOT be updated for the KRACK fix.

For those of you with early rev (A1,A2,B1) AC68U's who wish to remain with the earlier wireless drivers, I've included a build directory that continues to be based on the earlier drivers/SDK, Update-nnLx (Legacy 'L' Build). IMPORTANT: The legacy builds do NOT include the KRACK fix for any supported router since part of the fix requires new wireless drivers.

I've also included a file @UpgradeMatrix.txt in the download directory. This shows the options for each router and build combination, including the need for a Factory Default reset or possible JFFS reformat.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

LATEST RELEASE: Update-33E4, including support new rev AC68 class routers
17-June-2018
Merlin fork 374.43_33E4j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

SHA256
Code:
(Default Build - All supported routers)
e5f72ad5a508a0e89a1449c2f0d04e01b90a2c262536312dcdc9cd9326200348  RT-N16_374.43_33E4j9527.trx
f6857b4653deaf810137474ed1a8bf79cbde972589db20952f23877efa97b6a5  RT-AC66U_374.43_33E4j9527.trx
98b1725a2ca6d6b09060fce9e5609ba9d7c9aed1f2e2c98a1d19517f23f0bfba  RT-N66U_374.43_33E4j9527.trx
254e9f0a3674d819433754dcfbdee89391e45aa8c2ed0696fd8bd98303f9fb16  RT-AC68U_374.43_33E4j9527.trx
bffd8971f5277a9d4f57e1d6b7acd8b9632d2567db2cf815ddaf29f320199bfe  RT-AC56U_374.43_33E4j9527.trx

(Legacy Only Builds)
482ff3a2362dea49ef9518a7f7851fed4333661e7bbcc1b1862dd6e8af437994  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-33L4j9527.trx
2ff960d859312bf63e3743e773b3169252e6506a20ccee1bc481ceace18b262b  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-33L4j9527.trx
d4c8d8417790b5a284e7c3583ca88e8bcdbb93b8e0c2646e3f4d79e58c7bb2c3  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-33L4j9527.trx
24913474f2363f0716487a577b4bb05495ed1a65a30558a85971635b4b4f45cd  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-33L4j9527.trx
43efc1f76b649abd30a14d57b75a7a497bbdb67cbbb2e76ddb74d0862df8e5ad  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-33L4j9527.trx

Last edited:
First, wishing you a great deal of strength.

Updatet my AC68U rev a1 with v33E4. Smooth as always. Thx.

My apologies....

for going silent over the last month. I had a family emergency which pretty much turned my life upside down, at least for the foreseeable future. Things are a little quieter now, so I'll be able to spend a bit more time back here.

I have a new release which was ready to go, which I hope to have up shortly and I'll be trying to catch up with any posts/questions/PMs. Please be patient. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope everything is ok for you and your family!

I had turned on CTF for PPTP connections starting with V30. Looks like some piece may be missing. I'll take another look and disable it for the next release if I can't track it down.

please fix pptp vpn server issue, 29 version is the latest build with correct pptp vpn.

@john9527 While looking at a problem with DNSFilter in Merlin's firmware here we seem to have stumbled across the same problem in your firmware.

Even though your firmware does it slightly differently the principle is much the same. So when DNSFilter's Global Filter Mode is set to anything other than "No filtering" the last rule in the IPv6 mangle/DNSFILTER chain should be DROP, but it's missing. So it needs the following to make the client retry using IPv4:

ip6tables -t mangle -A DNSFILTER -j DROP
Fix written....I'll send you a link to a test. Thanks!

please fix pptp vpn server issue, 29 version is the latest build with correct pptp vpn.
Sorry I forgot about this one. I'll send you a link to test as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!