What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does this release of this fork contain the fixes for CVE-2018-8877, CVE-2018-8878 and CVE-2018-8879 released with asuswrt 382 version?

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, and first of all wanted to extend a big "thank you!" to John9527 for the obviously enormous task he has undertaken, and from what I've read so far he has done a tremendous job with it. It's great to see that a good community has formed around it, I intend to be following the progress here.

I'm running an ASUS RT-AC-66U router, which I have enjoyed for several years now. Originally, of course, on the stock ASUS firmware, but not long after I switched over to DDWRT firmware, as I was accustomed to running it on some older Linksys routers of mine. Over time, I grew interested in changing things up and ran Tomato for a bit (the Shibby version) and later changed again and enjoyed "Advanced Tomato" for it's simplicity and nice interface. I eventually found Merlin - and have stuck with Merlin's firmware for some time now, and it has been excellent. Once he put out the final version for "legacy" routers like mine (380.70) it had me searching for other options which led here.

Thanks for having me in the community! I have read through a number of pages of this forum, but as there are over 386 of them at present, I was hoping I might seek some guidance from a veteran here, if someone would be so kind. I'm curious if there was a relatively quick way to learn the current differences between Merlin's 380.70 firmware, and John's newest version of his (this) fork, which I see was just updated about 12 days ago. I did skim through the release notes, but was curious if anyone here has some clear guidance on how it compares to Merlin's last release (380.70).

Thanks all,
airman98

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, and first of all wanted to extend a big "thank you!" to John9527 for the obviously enormous task he has undertaken, and from what I've read so far he has done a tremendous job with it. It's great to see that a good community has formed around it, I intend to be following the progress here.

I'm running an ASUS RT-AC-66U router, which I have enjoyed for several years now. Originally, of course, on the stock ASUS firmware, but not long after I switched over to DDWRT firmware, as I was accustomed to running it on some older Linksys routers of mine. Over time, I grew interested in changing things up and ran Tomato for a bit (the Shibby version) and later changed again and enjoyed "Advanced Tomato" for it's simplicity and nice interface. I eventually found Merlin - and have stuck with Merlin's firmware for some time now, and it has been excellent. Once he put out the final version for "legacy" routers like mine (380.70) it had me searching for other options which led here.

Thanks for having me in the community! I have read through a number of pages of this forum, but as there are over 386 of them at present, I was hoping I might seek some guidance from a veteran here, if someone would be so kind. I'm curious if there was a relatively quick way to learn the current differences between Merlin's 380.70 firmware, and John's newest version of his (this) fork, which I see was just updated about 12 days ago. I did skim through the release notes, but was curious if anyone here has some clear guidance on how it compares to Merlin's last release (380.70).

Thanks all,
airman98
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo&id=9332FC159A7E129!3209&cid=09332FC159A7E129. Here you may found more info about it and the difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

dnscrypt is a protocol, dnscrypt-proxy is a piece of software.

Cloudflare DNS supports DoH protocol, but not the dnscrypt protocol. You can use whatever client you like that does DoH with Cloudflare, including dnscrypt-proxy.

Edit: @agilani: re-read your post, sounds like we are on the same page. I thought you’re disputing the fact that Cloudflare DNS does not support dnscrypt.

No worries, I'm no expert by any means, but it looks like both google and cloudfare are supporting DoH and from the looks of it there is an IETF draft rfc for it.

Just out of curiosity, what radio power is everyone running on their router? Default was set to 80mw. I think i read that in the US, the specs allow to 1000mw for 2.4ghz and 4000mw for 5ghz? How can i tell what my wifi nic card is set to? The only setting for my intel ac9560 says transmit power - highest.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what radio power is everyone running on their router? Default was set to 80mw. I think i read that in the US, the specs allow to 2000mw? How can i tell what my wifi nic card is set to? The only setting for my intel ac9560 says transmit power - highest.

My advice is not to go down the router transmit power rabbit hole. I have been in and out of it and trust me you will get a lot more mileage by choosing a wireless channel on your router that is-

1) different than those around you (to decrease interference) for both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz.
2) one of the higher (I currently use 161) 5.0 GHz channels (they have higher power output max in the US I believe).

To answer your question- mine is at 80 mW and playing around with it has gained me zero things. :)

You could also consider-
3) moving the router around you might be amazed at the difference in speed a small move in just the antennas or location/height can make (I know I was).
4) calling the whole thing off and going wired. If you can do this, you will not be disappointed. After wasting a lot of time screwing around with power/QOS/positioning/antennas, I just gave up and went wired. I will never go back.

Other potential ways to increase throughput-
5) Increase bandwidth to 40 MHz.
6) Powerline adapters.
7) Again, wired is king. By a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice is not to go down the router transmit power rabbit hole. I have been in and out of it and trust me you will get a lot more mileage by choosing a wireless channel on your router that is-

1) different than those around you (to decrease interference) for both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz.
2) one of the higher (I currently use 161) 5.0 GHz channels (they have higher power output max in the US I believe).

To answer your question- mine is at 80 mW and playing around with it has gained me zero things. :)

You could also consider-
3) moving the router around you might be amazed at the difference in speed a small move in just the antennas or location/height can make (I know I was).
4) calling the whole thing off and going wired. If you can do this, you will not be disappointed. After wasting a lot of time screwing around with power/QOS/positioning/antennas, I just gave up and went wired. I will never go back.

Other potential ways to increase throughput-
5) Increase bandwidth to 40 MHz.
6) Powerline adapters.
7) Again, wired is king. By a long shot.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the channels and it made a big difference. I will have to look at the 5ghz channels. I didn't realize the power limit was channel specific too. There are almost no 5ghz networks in my area which i find strange so i still have it set to auto.

I have my old ac66 running john l fork sitting in the same room as my ac88 and I'm getting substantially better signal from the ac88. Maybe because all of the antennas?

I am having a problem with V33E4 on my RT-N66U.

Every time WAN PPPoE tries to connect the router reboots. As it auto connects on start up it gets in to a reboot loop unless the WAN cable is unplugged.
I have tried resetting it to defaults and setting up WAN again, but it still reboots after it tries to connect.
I have flashed it back to V32E4 and restored my settings and it works fine.
I have a syslog debug dump of it in the reboot loop which I am happy to send to John if he wants it.

Every time WAN PPPoE tries to connect the router reboots. As it auto connects on start up it gets in to a reboot loop unless the WAN cable is unplugged.
I have tried resetting it to defaults and setting up WAN again, but it still reboots after it tries to connect.
I have a syslog debug dump of it in the reboot loop which I am happy to send to John if he wants it.
Be happy to look at the syslog.....upload it to a file sharing site and send me a PM.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the channels and it made a big difference. I will have to look at the 5ghz channels. I didn't realize the power limit was channel specific too. There are almost no 5ghz networks in my area which i find strange so i still have it set to auto.

I have my old ac66 running john l fork sitting in the same room as my ac88 and I'm getting substantially better signal from the ac88. Maybe because all of the antennas?

In my experience channel selection is much more critical for the 5.0 GHz than 2.4. What I mean to say is that it can make a huge difference in performance, much more so than the 2.4 channels. 5.0 GHz is also more sensitive to positioning, probably because it is less penetrative than 2.4 (my guess). The auto setting is very unlikely to give you the best performance, so hopefully you will enjoy a significant improvement from setting a 5.0 GHz channel and bandwidth (again, I prefer the higher channels and if you have no competition in the 5.0 GHz range 40 bandwidth may be best).

I am not sure what measurement you are using to assess signal of the two routers in the same room, but I personally prefer to ignore the signal strength for the most part and concentrate on real world performance. Speed test, iperf3, pinging and the like. Best signal strength does not always mean best performance.

Lastly, if truly testing signal strength/bandwidth/latency is of importance to you, challenge the range. Testing in the same room is fairly uninformative. Assessing the quality of the connection further away will give you more useful information. Again, I would mostly forget about signal strength and use "real world" tests to compare.

Here is one example of the pitfalls of close range testing. At close range, you may get similar performance in all 5.0 GHz channels but this is not a good benchmark for the real world. If you move to long range you will likely see a difference between 5.0 GHz channels because same room testing gives you no useful data concerning range.

please fix pptp vpn server issue, 29 version is the latest build with correct pptp vpn.

Hello gopnique I have been using my router's PPTP vpn server (N66U) successfully on all recent versions of john's firmware. Are you using windows 10? I find it is windows, not the router that is unreliable for PPTP connections for whatever reason. Here is how I fix PPTP in windows 10 I have had to use this technique several times:

Open Device Manager
Look under Network Adapters
Uninstall WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport(IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Click Action > Scan for hardware changes
The adapters you just uninstalled should come back
Try connecting again

If that doesn't work for you maybe I can help find the issue, I have been using PPTP with my N66U and john's firmware for a long time and it can be finicky- mostly due to windows not the router. Oh, and windows 10 will not connect at anything less than 128 bit encryption without registry hacking so disabling 128 bit encryption on PPTP will bork it.

@000111 I believe he's talking about the pptp vpn server built into the router, not the pptp client in Windows.

I think you may be right. I am using the PPTP server on the router and connect with the windows 10 client. My reply was for that situation. Even though it may be obtuse in the sense I assumed he had a connection issue, it contains useful information for a windows client issue people often see so I guess it's not totally useless. I changed the first sentence of my reply to more accurately reflect that I am successfully using the PPTP server on an N66U.

Last time I tried this firmware I was unable to get IP access restriction to work. I suspect this has something to do with the newer firmwares using iptables for this instead of httpd itself.

Does anyone know how I can restrict other devices from accessing the web UI? I'm considering switching to this firmware. I've been on stock since merlin dropped support and it's a bit barebones.

DDNS missing Host Name text field

New to this firmware and I recently installed the 33E4 version. Working well but in the WAN - DDNS settings page there is no text field for the Host Name, so I am unable to save any settings. Any ideas why there isn't a text field? I've included a screenshot. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• DDNS.jpg
    DDNS.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 657
Working well but in the WAN - DDNS settings page there is no text field for the Host Name, so I am unable to save any settings. Any ideas why there isn't a text field?
Because I needed to write this fix :oops:
7e4885b14 ddns: fix missing gui attribute ddns_hostname_info_tr from 384 merge

Last time I tried this firmware I was unable to get IP access restriction to work. I suspect this has something to do with the newer firmwares using iptables for this instead of httpd itself.

Does anyone know how I can restrict other devices from accessing the web UI? I'm considering switching to this firmware. I've been on stock since merlin dropped support and it's a bit barebones.
Please don't keep things like this to yourself :) Turns out I had a fat finger 'dangling semicolon' in a fix that went in back in 2017. Fix written.

There's been a couple of bugs reported, and I plan on doing a refresh to pick them up in the next day or two (waiting for feedback on one more test build)

I got the same thing here on my N66U - after flashing 33E4 the router keeps rebooting itself when trying to connect WAN. I have gone back to 32E4 for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!