What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is weird...

I have a RT-AC68U (Revision A1, I believe).

I've been using your firmware version 32E4 since mid-April with no issues.

Tonight, I upgraded to 33E7 and even though my Motorola Moto X4 phone is able to connect to my router on either radio 2.4 or 5GHz, it reports that "wifi has no internet access" and indeed, there is no internet access on my phone at all over wifi.

However, my primary PC which is connected via a Linksys WUMC710 Wireless-AC Bridge is fine, so I know that is not true.

I restarted my router and cable modem and I even deleted the wifi connections within my phone and re-connected just in case.

I flashed back to 32E4 and everything is fine again.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this one?

Maybe try naming the bands differently and see if it’s 2.4 not working but 5 is fine?

Can you use unicode characters?

No. UTF-8 is something Asus and Broadcom only added a few weeks ago to the stock firmware, with the warning that such SSIDs will not work with many clients, Windows 7 is one of those mentionned as NOT supporting UTF8 for instance.

People need to stop being fancy with their SSID. It's just a label.

@john9527 @ColinTaylor
01. How can I do so that your firmware version 33E7 allows me to use this SSID?:
Sorry, you can't. Even though some special characters are technically allowed, different vendor implementations sometimes don't recognize them correctly, and this fork is all about stability. Stick with alphanumerics, dash and underscore. (I often wonder if people having wireless issues across all of ASUS/Merlin are trying to be fancy with SSIDs and causing their own problems).

02. In your firmware I can install these scripts?: (Router RT-AC1900P)
Yes to everything except DNSCrypt v2, which is an 'I don't know'. The fork has DNSCrypt v1 built in and I don't know if there will be a conflict with executeables, even if the fork v1 is disabled.

Fork version has those binaries needed to run DNScrypt v2?
How I made this:
- Use dnscrypt-proxy binary packages from https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy
- Compiling and stripping required binaries using firmware building toolchain from asuswrt-merlin
- Write the installer script with stuffs inspired from entware-setup.sh from asuswrt-merlin
- You can look at all the stuffs here https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/

If you have DNSSEC enabled, try disabling it.

I re-loaded 33E7 and disabled DNSSEC. This made no difference. Then I re-loaded 32E4 and my phones still had no internet regardless of the DNSSEC setting. So I re-loaded 33E7 and did a factory reset. Now everything is working. I have DNSSEC enabled and Strict DNSSEC Enforcement checked.

I guess the lesson here is if all else fails, do a factory reset.

EDIT1: I spoke too soon. I rebooted my phone and now I'm back to the same thing with a connection to the router but no Internet. Grrr....

EDIT2: I don't know what I did but I got it working. I restored the nvram that I backed up from 32E4 and toggled the DNSSEC settings a bit with a few router restarts and now everything works again. DNSSEC is on and Strict Enforcement is checked.

Last edited:
I re-loaded 33E7 and disabled DNSSEC. This made no difference. Then I re-loaded 32E4 and my phones still had no internet regardless of the DNSSEC setting. So I re-loaded 33E7 and did a factory reset. Now everything is working. I have DNSSEC enabled and Strict DNSSEC Enforcement checked.

I guess the lesson here is if all else fails, do a factory reset.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I rebooted my phone and now I'm back to the same thing with a connection to the router but no Internet. Grrr....

EDIT2: I don't know what I did but I got it working. I restored the nvram that I backed up from 32E4 and toggled the DNSSEC settings a bit with a few router restarts and now everything works again. DNSSEC is on and Strict Enforcement is checked.

This is a head scratcher...especially when you fall back to a level that was working and it now fails o_O
Did your phone possible get pushed an update?

This is a head scratcher...especially when you fall back to a level that was working and it now fails o_O
Did your phone possible get pushed an update?

No, I had a security update a few days ago but I've rebooted it since. It's a fairly new phone, a Motorola Moto X4 with Android 8.1. There's actually two more of the same phone in my household and they had the same issue... connected to the router but no Internet.

Other possible variables in the equation are that I'm not using my ISP's DNS. I'm using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 from Cloudflare.

I wonder if there's anything weird going on with IPv6. I'm not really sure how it works as I've never used it.

I have IPv6 set to "Disable" in the router but looking at my WiFi information in the "Network Analyzer Lite" app on my phone is showing an IPv6 address.

Or maybe there's something wrong with DHCP with regards to the phones. Could they be caching an old IP address and/or not asking for a new one? Especially if the DHCP hashing algorithm that the router uses to assign (mostly) the same IP to the same device has changed.

If it happens again, I'll be sure examine the phone closer to see if it actually got an IP address on my network.

No, I had a security update a few days ago but I've rebooted it since. It's a fairly new phone, a Motorola Moto X4 with Android 8.1. There's actually two more of the same phone in my household and they had the same issue... connected to the router but no Internet.
If all 3 phones are having the same issue, it might be something with the phones/Android. Suggest you search for your issue here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x4. They are on the leading edge of problem resolution for new phones - helped me many times.

Other possible variables in the equation are that I'm not using my ISP's DNS. I'm using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 from Cloudflare.

I wonder if there's anything weird going on with IPv6. I'm not really sure how it works as I've never used it.

I have IPv6 set to "Disable" in the router but looking at my WiFi information in the "Network Analyzer Lite" app on my phone is showing an IPv6 address.

Or maybe there's something wrong with DHCP with regards to the phones. Could they be caching an old IP address and/or not asking for a new one? Especially if the DHCP hashing algorithm that the router uses to assign (mostly) the same IP to the same device has changed.

If it happens again, I'll be sure examine the phone closer to see if it actually got an IP address on my network.

Have you tried “Forget Network” and enter the password for your wifi again?

Have you tried “Forget Network” and enter the password for your wifi again?

Yep. That was the first thing I tried. I searched a bit on the xda-developers forum and found a thread about a different phone with the same issue. Posters suggested that it was probably a DNS issue and that going into the phone and resetting the network settings might fix it.

If I can get the issue to happen again, I'll give that a try to see if it works.

Reactions: kfp
Try to factory reset the router and reconfigure it again or your clients lease may have bad time synchronized I had that's issues on the past and all I did was resetting the router

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Hey guys, can anyone help me ?
I've noticed this in my router log:
Jul 19 15:52:18 N66U user.alert kernel: ACCEPT <4>ACCEPT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:1c:10:b2:ac:4e:0............... <1>SRC=77.72.85.107 DST=89.............. <1>LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=247 ID=60319 PROTO=TCP <1>SPT=42867 DPT=10022 SEQ=1583424649 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

What the hell is it ?
(those dots are there to hide things that i don't know if they are mine or not)
Of course I'm on latest firmware from john9527

Ok, but I would rather like to know why I would have packed accepted from that IP ?
I have a router freshly configured again because of the reboots that I had. There is nothing additional installed right now.

Ok, but I would rather like to know why I would have packed accepted from that IP ?
I have a router freshly configured again because of the reboots that I had. There is nothing additional installed right now.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. A malicious IP address in Bulgaria (77.72.85.107) appears to be connecting to your router on port 10022.

Can you go to http://canyouseeme.org/ and scan that port to see if it's open.

Hey guys, can anyone help me ?
I've noticed this in my router log:
<snip>
What the hell is it ?

10022 is used as an alternate SSH/SFTP port usually. Have you stood up some service on that port? If not you might want to track that device down..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!