1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V34E3)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by john9527, Aug 14, 2014.

1. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Normal....was added after the base firmware for the fork...sorry.

Dfects and nodnarb91 like this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Dfects

Dfects Occasional Visitor

That's fine, just wanted to check as I thought I saw it after flashing but before the factory reset. Really appreciate your work on this firmware :cool:

4. tdev

tdev New Around Here

Ha, I just assumed the bug was there and didn't actually try it myself. Sorry about that. Yeah, it works here too. Thanks.

5. jeff288

jeff288 Regular Contributor

On a very minor note, I login to the router several times a day lately and I keep getting the username/password prompt despite "Auto Logout" set to 0 to disable and cookies still stored. Seems it's been this way since using John's firmware. Anyone else?

6. Syntax Err0r

Syntax Err0r New Around Here

I just wanted to come back in here and say thanks @john9527 for the awesome work of keeping older, but trusty (now with your fork, anyway!) routers!

Also, I am not sure if I missed it (don't feel like looking through ~390 pages of commentary), but are you accepting donations to continue? I didn't realize the Merlin main line had already dropped the RT-N66U, while this fork is almost exclusively for these older models :D

7. zboq

zboq Occasional Visitor

Hi john9527
    I've switched to Your fork from rmelin firmware and have one big problem. My router restarts it self without any good reason.
    So question is, is there a way to check what was the problem ?, why it restarted ?

8. Wisiwyg

Wisiwyg Regular Contributor

Just curious, did you factory reset and perform a clean flash? John's fork is really good about flashing version updates not requiring a factory reset, but coming from any other firmware requires a clean flash. Otherwise, you're asking for troubles like the one your describing.

In addition to this firmware, John has created a settings backup script you can use to save all your settings, wipe, flash new firmware, then recover all your prior settings. You can find his backup script in this forum with not too much trouble.

9. zboq

zboq Occasional Visitor

Hi, thank for the replay. Of course I did a factory reset and performed a firmware flash using asus recovery tool.
    Now I downloaded some free log server and router is sending its log to my laptop now, so if another reboot happens, maybe I will get some infomation about a problem.

10. john9527

Not sure I fully understand what you are saying, but here is how things work.....

Once you log-in and keep the router tab/gui open, it will respect the auto-logout setting. (except if you have the real time monitor tab up, then it won't auto-logout since it assumes you really want to monitor the traffic).

Once you close the router tab/gui (or close the browser), you will be automatically logged out after about 1 min regardless of the auto-logout setting. This is done for security reasons.

11. jeff288

jeff288 Regular Contributor

Yes, that's what I meant. Understandable. Thanks.

12. Chazall1

Chazall1 Occasional Visitor

Running the latest and all functioning as expected.
    Thank You

13. john9527

Since you are setting up a log server, I'm guessing this is happening on the N66 and not the AC56.
    How old is your N66? If it's 2-3 years old or older, the first thing about mysterious reboots is that the power supplies start getting 'weak' about that time. Just something to think about. I can only remember 1 case where we couldn't figure out a reboot problem...all the others were solved with a new power supply.

14. zboq

zboq Occasional Visitor

Of course, that is understandable, but You know, on previous firmware I didn't have any reboots, not even once. So I would not expect that charger would get "weak" in the same time as changing firmware on router.
    With that sad, there was no reboot since setting a log server yesterday so I will be still monitoring my log for any reboots.

15. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

CPU higher load, gets warmer, needs bit more power, adapter more likely on his (reduced) limit.
    So it could be a reason, not to say it is, but more than unlikely or exclude from further considerations.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  16. Scylla

Scylla New Around Here

Hello.. New member here. Sorry if this question has been asked before: is OpenVPN only available on AC routers?
    I installed latest release firmware (V33E7) on my RT-N16 but only see PPTP and L2TP VPN client on it. I really need OpenVPN client.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Nullity and Scylla like this.
  18. Scylla

Scylla New Around Here

Thanks for point that out @ColinTaylor. Seems I'm gonna stick to tomato then.

19. tyspeed42

tyspeed42 Regular Contributor

Installed 33L7 on my AC68W, AC68U both working great, although after updating the AC68W, which is running my open vpn client, there was a noticeable delay with the connection to complete the tls tunnel. In the debug log reported an error upon first connection, and shut down my connection, I then rebooted again, connected right up.
    I post again if it happens again, for now no issues running great.

20. Gasutr 45

Gasutr 45 Occasional Visitor

21. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Just stick to using alphanumeric characters like a grown-up.;)

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!