What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John - Are you aware of the issue with Google Pixel 2 (or any android 8.1 device) crashing routers by flooding them with cast packets?

I have this exact issue with on my N66U - I've tried both Merlins final release and your fork. (latest version)

As soon as the Google Pixel 2 tries to connect, the entire router crashes and reboots (Checked uptime each time). The bug is related to Android holding onto cast packets and then sending them all at once when it connects to the network or wakes from sleep.

Do you know if this can be resolved via the router? Perhaps I can block the packets someway? I'm going to try and set up a guest network and have only the problematic device on that network but it would be nice to resolve the issue without having the guest network active.

Thanks

I've been holding off trying to get a handle on why vpnserver password logons are failing after the first logon on the MIPS routers.
(and failing miserably so far.....sorry guys :( ).
If I don't make any progress over the weekend, I'm going to put out the next release while I keep working on it.
So reconnection error is not reproducible at your environment? Any chance to run pamd via strace where error is reproducible, if that helps?

John - Are you aware of the issue with Google Pixel 2 (or any android 8.1 device) crashing routers by flooding them with cast packets?

I have this exact issue with on my N66U - I've tried both Merlins final release and your fork. (latest version)

As soon as the Google Pixel 2 tries to connect, the entire router crashes and reboots (Checked uptime each time). The bug is related to Android holding onto cast packets and then sending them all at once when it connects to the network or wakes from sleep.

Do you know if this can be resolved via the router? Perhaps I can block the packets someway? I'm going to try and set up a guest network and have only the problematic device on that network but it would be nice to resolve the issue without having the guest network active.

Thanks
I thought that google had issued an update to resolve that problem....I don't recall any fix being put out on the router side.

hello @john9527,

Do you plan to add TPROXY into new LTS firmware?

I am going to run this kind of command (it is a sample only) in my AC68U. But it seems there is no this TROXY module inside.

iptables -t mangle -A SHADOWSOCKS2 -p udp -m set ! --match-set chnroute dst -j TPROXY --on-port 3333 --tproxy-mark 0x01/0x01
I can add it for the AC68U, but not for the MIPS based routers (kernel is too old).

I like to keep the base 'light', so you'll need to make it available via modprobe.

@chncar
EDIT: Looks like it is marked 'EXPERIMENTAL' in this kernel level....use at your own risk :)

Last edited:
So reconnection error is not reproducible at your environment? Any chance to run pamd via strace where error is reproducible, if that helps?
Oh...I can recreate it at will...it's just that debugging segment faults (SIGSEGV) is not something I'm good at, especially when the openpam code does a lot of double pointer references :(

I finally have thrown in the towel after flogging myself the last couple of days, and just went and wrote my own verification exit for MIPS. Test it now....so far, so good (I'm even using the exact same password generation code)

@john9527 recently implemented Stubby on his fork. I have been testing Stubby using Cloudfare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 DNS on the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed from entware. I recently offered to write an installer script.

I have several working stubby.yml files with slight differences and trying to decide which version to use. But today I had an exception. The one that I have been using for over a week stopped working!

I would like to benchmark with the stubby.yml file the Fork uses. Now that I think about it, probably a good idea if my installer script uses the version the Fork uses unless there is a good reason to deviate! :D

Grateful for the help!

I would like to benchmark with the stubby.yml file the Fork uses. Now that I think about it, probably a good idea if my installer script uses the version the Fork uses unless there is a good reason to deviate! :D
Sounds like a good plan....be glad to help. Like the rest of the firmware config files, it's generated on the fly based on the options selected (there's just a few for stubby). I'll send you a PM with a typical config yml and some notes of things you may want to consider.

I can add it for the AC68U, but not for the MIPS based routers (kernel is too old).

I like to keep the base 'light', so you'll need to make it available via modprobe.

@chncar
EDIT: Looks like it is marked 'EXPERIMENTAL' in this kernel level....use at your own risk :)

Yes, sure. I searched a lot at google and it seems some people have used TPROXY in official merlin firmware without problems.

Yes, sure. I searched a lot at google and it seems some people have used TPROXY in official merlin firmware without problems.
Looks like it's turned on in Merlin only for the AC86 router (different kernel)......you'll be the first to try on AC68 :)

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help me on installing of Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 on my RT-N66U.
I am using MacOSX. Currently i am running on RT-N66U_380.70_0 (RMerlin) firmware.

I have downloaded RT-N66U_374.43_34E3j9527 firmware from OneDrive storage.
I read @UpgradeMatrix.txt and it states that:

Current Firmware: ASUS or Merlin (8)
Upgrade Path V28 or later: 'E' Builds
Upgrade via: Restoration Tool
Factory Reset: Required
Reformat / Restore JFFS?: Likely (change in code size)

Can i ask where do i download the Restoration Tool from?
Is it from here? Link: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r26-2.19521/
If yes, do i download this "nvram-save-r26.2.zip"

How do i go about installing the firmware to my RT-N66U?

Thanks and appreciate your help.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help me on installing of Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 on my RT-N66U.
I am using MacOSX. Currently i am running on RT-N66U_380.70_0 (RMerlin) firmware.

I have downloaded RT-N66U_374.43_34E3j9527 firmware from OneDrive storage.
I read @UpgradeMatrix.txt and it states that:

Current Firmware: ASUS or Merlin (8)
Upgrade Path V28 or later: 'E' Builds
Upgrade via: Restoration Tool
Factory Reset: Required
Reformat / Restore JFFS?: Likely (change in code size)

Can i ask where do i download the Restoration Tool from?
Is it from here? Link: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r26-2.19521/
If yes, do i download this "nvram-save-r26.2.zip"

How do i go about installing the firmware to my RT-N66U?

Thanks and appreciate your help.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Just download the Asus Restoration Tool from ASUS website (for macOS ofc) and follow the instructions in the tool and the first post of this thread.

I'd advice you to be very very patient since it took me more than 10 tries to successfully switch to John's Fork from Merlin 380.70.

I'd advice you to be very very patient since it took me more than 10 tries to successfully switch to John's Fork from Merlin 380.70.

Seconded. I recently made the change from Merlin 380.70 to Merlin fork Update-34E3 on the RT-N66U. The ASUS tool kept failing at 100% installlation. I finally had success using the previous revision, Update-33E7, then updated to the latest version. Just follow the instructions on the ASUS website for their tool carefully, ensure the writing process starts successfully, then say some kind words to the silicon gods on John's behalf.

I am very pleased with the change. I do hope John resolves the VPN Server user/password failure. After I made the switch I was caught off guard after my first VPN Server connection after setup was successful but future attempts failed. Perhaps this known issue should be stated in the original post?

Either way, thanks to john9527 and RMerlin for this fine ware.

Seconded. I recently made the change from Merlin 380.70 to Merlin fork Update-34E3 on the RT-N66U. The ASUS tool kept failing at 100% installlation. I finally had success using the previous revision, Update-33E7, then updated to the latest version. Just follow the instructions on the ASUS website for their tool carefully, ensure the writing process starts successfully, then say some kind words to the silicon gods on John's behalf.

I found that even though the tool says failed after about half hour. If you wait another 5 mins or so you will notice all the lights come on on the router. Then go to 192.168.1.1 and you will probably find the firmware actually uploaded successfully. Maybe do another flash from the gui to be safe.

I am very pleased with the change. I do hope John resolves the VPN Server user/password failure. After I made the switch I was caught off guard after my first VPN Server connection after setup was successful but future attempts failed. Perhaps this known issue should be stated in the original post?

Either way, thanks to john9527 and RMerlin for this fine ware.

This has been fixed in the next release and is working great.

I thought that google had issued an update to resolve that problem....I don't recall any fix being put out on the router side.

Thanks John,

The issue was patched away last year but it seems to be back as of around Feb 2018. I isloated the phone on a guest network and that seems to have resolved the issue for now. Hopfully Google can patch it out again soon.

Thanks again for all your great work.

So I got this router (n66u) from my employer when we were replacing some equipment. Long story short, I wasnt expecting it to have DDWRT on it, I bricked it, and then I did a rescue mode and installed: RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_382_50702-g6c0e289 (Latest firmware from ASUS)

So, I did a factory reset on the router, then attempted to install this firmware on it. The first attempt I got a ping back, but I also keep seeing these errors about two computers on my network sharing the same IP. The second attempt I didn't even get a ping back from the router. Both times, when trying to load 192.168.1.1 in the browser, I got "Connection refused" errors.

Last edited:
So I got this router (n66u) from my employer when we were replacing some equipment. Long story short, I wasnt expecting it to have DDWRT on it, I bricked it, and then I did a rescue mode and installed: RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_382_50702-g6c0e289 (Latest firmware from ASUS)

So, I did a factory reset on the router, then attempted to install this firmware on it. The first attempt I got a ping back, but I also keep seeing these errors about two computers on my network sharing the same IP. The second attempt I didn't even get a ping back from the router. Both times, when trying to load 192.168.1.1 in the browser, I got "Connection refused" errors.

Did you use the asus recovery tool when trying to flash this over the standard asus firmware ? You need to i think.
It will take ages and then say failed. But leave it a while and keep an eye on the router, eventually all the lights should come on and you should be able to access the router at 192.168.1.1.
Turn wifi off on your pc while doing it and only connect the pc you are using to the ethernet ports, dont even connect wan.

Did you use the asus recovery tool when trying to flash this over the standard asus firmware ? You need to i think.
It will take ages and then say failed. But leave it a while and keep an eye on the router, eventually all the lights should come on and you should be able to access the router at 192.168.1.1.
Turn wifi off on your pc while doing it and only connect the pc you are using to the ethernet ports, dont even connect wan.

Yeah I used the recovery tool (as administrator) and waiting 60-90 minutes for installing the original firmware as well as for this firmware. I'll try the disconnect idea.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!