What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Solved by disabling Diversion \:

Having a problem with dnsmasq not starting and NTP failing to update and I don't know how it all started. All I can say is there was a power outage yesterday and when the power came back all of this mess happened.

Restoring WAN takes longer than before and I can't get online on my MacBook without changing DNS from 192.168.1.1 to 1.1.1.1 (or any other public DNS) manually in Preferences. Also I'm not able to ping/nslookup any IP when I connect router via SSH, can't update Diversion or pixelserv-tls.
im going to ask the obvious, nut did u reset back to defaults and/or reflash the fw

im going to ask the obvious, nut did u reset back to defaults and/or reflash the fw

No, since nothing has changed before and after the power outage and I think resetting settings, reflashing etc. are the last resort for fixing this kind of problems, except rebooting.

Disabling Diversion solved the problem and re-enabling it haven't caused any problems though.

Edit: After enabling Diversion and a reboot, dnsmasq is broken again.

Last edited:
No, since nothing has changed before and after the power outage and I think resetting settings, reflashing etc. are the last resort for fixing this kind of problems, except rebooting.

Disabling Diversion solved the problem and re-enabling it haven't caused any problems though.

Edit: After enabling Diversion and a reboot, dnsmasq is broken again.
u answered ur own question, rebooting didnt solve it.
next is use the backup tool created by john, then do a reset. see how it does b4 restoring the backup

u answered ur own question, rebooting didnt solve it.
next is use the backup tool created by john, then do a reset. see how it does b4 restoring the backup

I didn't answered my own question, I simply said that resetting and reflashing should be the last options, not the first. Thanks for offering help anyways, though.

Back to the situation, I removed Diversion (removed pixelserv-tls, kept Entware) and amtm, reinstalled Diversion, amtm and pixelserv-tls beta rc6 via amtm, rebooted and everything is was alright. Seems like Diversion was is the culprit and a removal & installation of it fixed doesn't fix the situation.

Last edited:
Sorry for the noob question, but will switching from the L-versions to the E-versions overwrite my modded CFE on the AC68U, or can I go back and forth? What if I go to the higher level Merlin version 380.xx and beyond? Can I go back-and-forth or at what point will my CFE be overwritten?

I'm having tons of problems getting Dual WAN to work, and am interested in trying other (newer) versions of Merlin...

Thanks for your time!

Are there any notable wifi stability changes/fixes between 32E4 and 36E4? I've read the changelog but it's too much for me to understand or decipher. I'm just curious whether it's worth upgrading. I don't use any of the services on the router (such as printer, USB storage, VPN, etc) and it acts solely as a router and WAP/switch. Thank you.

The stubby.postconf I just edited into my post #8304, page 416 (so I don't have multiple stubby.postconf settings scattered throughout several posts) is running pretty solid. I will report back if I run into any hiccups.

EDIT- has yet to fail. Maybe I've lucked out on settings that will work with my particular N66U. :)

EDIT EDIT- it's been working for another day without fail. I think maybe cloudflare upped their game and it doesn't have everything to do with the stubby configuration, but I'll take it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't answered my own question, I simply said that resetting and reflashing should be the last options, not the first. Thanks for offering help anyways, though.

Back to the situation, I removed Diversion (removed pixelserv-tls, kept Entware) and amtm, reinstalled Diversion, amtm and pixelserv-tls beta rc6 via amtm, rebooted and everything is was alright. Seems like Diversion was is the culprit and a removal & installation of it fixed doesn't fix the situation.
i had a similar issue and my fix was to use a secondary ntp as static ip 216.239.35.4 - reference https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/02/google_public_ntp_servers/

i am using mac address filtering for my 2.4 and 5Ghz devices.

lately i have noticed that after a long time of router uptime i can not access certain wifi devices(wireless smartmeter, foscam wifi camera, wifi printer)
they work, are connected and are assigned an ip address but i can not access them through a browser, either chrome or internet explorer.
does this sound familiar currently on V34E4 but i noticed this before this release also.

i can solve it by switching off wireless mac address filtering but i do not know if this is the reason or that switching wifi is fixing it.

Are there any notable wifi stability changes/fixes between 32E4 and 36E4? I've read the changelog but it's too much for me to understand or decipher. I'm just curious whether it's worth upgrading. I don't use any of the services on the router (such as printer, USB storage, VPN, etc) and it acts solely as a router and WAP/switch. Thank you.

32E4 is still the most stable here in my good old RTN66U.

The newer versions presented some inconsistencies here for me (mainly drops in WIFI), tried everything and ended up coming back to 32E4.

Today everything and even the DIVERSION works well and I did not have to touch anything anymore

I am trying to move the stubby log. I changed the log location with this command in stubby.postconf-
pc_replace "/var/tmp/stubby" "/tmp/mnt/myusbdrive/syslog/stubby" $CONFIG

The line works fine and replaces the location in stubby.yml it looks like-
appdata_dir: "/tmp/mnt/myusbdrive/syslog/stubby"

but the log does not move. Any ideas?
Maybe appdata_dir just isn't the command that dictates the log location? ;)

32E4 is still the most stable here in my good old RTN66U.

The newer versions presented some inconsistencies here for me (mainly drops in WIFI), tried everything and ended up coming back to 32E4.

Today everything and even the DIVERSION works well and I did not have to touch anything anymore

In all my years of using Merlin and John's firmware on the N66U, I can't ever recall having wifi issues. Maybe I lucked out with a good one but it's been a solid router. 36E4 is working fine for me.

Is there a post with all the ASUS router showing their max speed when you enable the VPN?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @john9527

I don't know whether it's always done this but I've just noticed that if my WAN connection goes down after it comes back up a new udhcpc process is spawned but the previous one is still running. I wouldn't normally see this because my internet is usually pretty reliable.

RT-AC68U V36E4
Code:
# ps w | grep udhcpc | grep -v grep
 2522 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
 4043 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
 5944 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
 7392 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
11347 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
15335 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
21373 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
25681 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
29242 admin     1428 S    udhcpc -i eth0 -p /var/run/udhcpc0.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249

Hi,
I'm trying to setup QOS so that my IPTV streams have priority over all other traffic when in use. I'm getting some stuttering and happens mostly when others are using other streaming services like YouTube. I don't see any options for IPTV under predefined apps and services so I'm wondering what would be the recommended approach to prioritizing IPTV streams. Thanks very much for any help.

AC68U

Hi,

Thanks for keeping my old AC66U's firmware up-to-date :)

A simple user's question: In the more recent versions, including the official - you can set a radio-off schedule which you could control at 1h or 1/2h intervals, I don't remember exactly.
This allowed me to turn the wifi off during the night from 01:00am to 06:30am.

With the latest 36E4 - the UI only allows setting a single continuous timeframe in which the radio is on - so I can keep it up between 06-00 but not 06-01 of the next day.
I didn't find anything relevant in this thread nor in the options txt file - but might have missed it.

Any simple way I could achieve the same with your firmware?

Thanks,
Mor

Hello,
I'm using n66u router and found problem with wifi performance on new Iphone. After it connect to 5Ghz wifi everything is allright, after some time wifi speed is slowing down.
In the same time there are another connected devices (android and ios) which doesnt have this problem.
I was trying latest Asus firmware and Merlin without success, now i'm on the latest John 374.43_36E4j9527 and waiting if the problem still exist.
After reseting router or Iphone problem goes away for some time, usually 1 day.
Do you have any idea what could cause such a behavior?

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm using n66u router and found problem with wifi performance on new Iphone. After it connect to 5Ghz wifi everything is allright, after some time wifi speed is slowing down.
In the same time there are another connected devices (android and ios) which doesnt have this problem.
I was trying latest Asus firmware and Merlin without success, now i'm on the latest John 374.43_36E4j9527 and waiting if the problem still exist.
After reseting router or Iphone problem goes away for some time, usually 1 day.
Do you have any idea what could cause such a behavior?

I had a problem like this at one point with an iphone when a friend was over, didn't have much time to investigate, but it seemed it was due to it uploading to icloud and hogging all the upload bandwidth so I set a QoS upload limit for it. I don't recall having that problem again the next time they were over. Of course it wasn't wifi speed itself slowing down but internet bandwidth.

In my situation i can see in Wireless Log that device with problem can stay on Rx/Tx 6/6 Mbps like in Powersave Mode but the flags changes to AU. WMM settings are default.

I'll return this phone, it seems that the problem also exist on John fork.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!